Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Seals sleep with half their brains

seals sleep brains half

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,337 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

Some of the brain chemicals that allow seals to sleep with half of their brain at a time have been identified – a discovery that Canadian researchers say could help in research into human sleep problems.

“Seals do something biologically amazing – they sleep with half their brain at a time. The left side of their brain can sleep while the right side stays awake. Seals sleep this way while they’re in water, but they sleep like humans while on land. Our research may explain how this unique biological phenomenon happens” said Professor John Peever of the University of Toronto.

http://www.phenomeni...eir-brains.html

Posted Image

#2    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,064 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

Being on cold meds and reading UM is a dangerous thing. LOL

My first thought on reading the title of this thread was.... so the other half of the seal's brain goes out to party all night?

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#3    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,109 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 21 February 2013 - 03:30 PM, said:

Some of the brain chemicals that allow seals to sleep with half of their brain at a time have been identified – a discovery that Canadian researchers say could help in research into human sleep problems.

“Seals do something biologically amazing – they sleep with half their brain at a time. The left side of their brain can sleep while the right side stays awake. Seals sleep this way while they’re in water, but they sleep like humans while on land. Our research may explain how this unique biological phenomenon happens” said Professor John Peever of the University of Toronto.

http://www.phenomeni...eir-brains.html

And that is how cetaceans sleep too.

#4    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,670 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

So... is this Navy Seals or the critters that live in the Ocean...?

#5    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,057 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:07 PM

Good read, especially about possibly helping humans with sleep problems(like myself)

Also tagged with seals, sleep, brains, half

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users