Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

India to launch Mars mission this year

mars mangalyaan isro

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 30,955 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:37 PM

India to launch Mars mission this year: President

The Times of India said:

NEW DELHI India will launch its first space mission to Mars this year, President Pranab Mukherjee said on Thursday.

"Several space missions are planned for 2013, including India's first mission to Mars and the launch of our first navigational satellite," Mukherjee said in his maiden address to the joint sitting of Parliament at the start of the Budget session.

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    highdesert50

highdesert50

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

Forgive the sarcasm, but I suspect it will be far easier for India, or any country, to foster colonization of Mars than to convince people not to procreate at rates that outstrip the Earth's environment. I might further speculate, that in a civilization's growth, there may be only a brief period of time between where planetary colonization is possible before the monetary and environmental stresses of overpopulation may make this economically impossible. So, go for it while you can.

#3    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 30,955 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

View Posthighdesert50, on 23 February 2013 - 12:29 PM, said:

I suspect it will be far easier for India, or any country, to foster colonization of Mars than to convince people not to procreate at rates that outstrip the Earth's environment.
I'm not entirely sure what a small, scientific, robotic probe to another planet has to do with colonisation, overpopulation or the Earth's environment.

What it does signify is the emergence of India from developing nation into a scientific and economic superpower.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#4    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,544 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

This is India taking its place as a superpower -- probably some time in the next century, but we see the beginnings now.  We need to reform the Security Council to take France and Britain off and put India and Japan on.

#5    skookum

skookum

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

Nice to see they spend all their international aid wisely.

#6    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 30,955 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

View Postskookum, on 23 February 2013 - 01:14 PM, said:

Nice to see they spend all their international aid wisely.
I knew someone would make this remark, someone always does. OK some facts for you.

India's space programme has been used to launch communications satellites, which have allowed every village in India to have a tv. This enables information and education to be beamed to even the most remote locations.

India's space programme has been used to launch Earth resources satellites which have been able to locate resources, plot crop diseases and improve the wealth and agriculture of the nation.

In producing scientific satellites India has been able to improve the scientific capabilities of the nation, producing more jobs and helping the nation's economy to the point where it is calculated that it will be the 3rd largest economy on the planet by 2030.

Yes, India has spent their money extraordinarily wisely.

Posted Image
Click on button

#7    Twinkle Arora is back

Twinkle Arora is back

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 202 posts

• Mythical Awareness

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 23 February 2013 - 01:20 PM, said:

I knew someone would make this remark, someone always does. OK some facts for you.

India's space programme has been used to launch communications satellites, which have allowed every village in India to have a tv. This enables information and education to be beamed to even the most remote locations.

India's space programme has been used to launch Earth resources satellites which have been able to locate resources, plot crop diseases and improve the wealth and agriculture of the nation.

In producing scientific satellites India has been able to improve the scientific capabilities of the nation, producing more jobs and helping the nation's economy to the point where it is calculated that it will be the 3rd largest economy on the planet by 2030.

Yes, India has spent their money extraordinarily wisely.

I totally agree with you and it is good to see that their decisions have been logical and effective to most extent.
In my opinion such things as space programs and all should be funded and handled internationally because in a way what we are sending in space is a representation of the planet Earth not some piece of land on it, unless you want to show off to people and nations on this planet earth.
I mean this should not be our priority, if we fund space programs internationally (all nations contributions) we could actually make some revolutionary things with the help of all the scientists all over the world.
We are limiting our capabilities because of land constrains. (I know there are cultural constrains, political constrains and many other things but I am speaking as a whole for planet Earth and our species).

I know it sounds very difficult due to all the constrains and conflicts (its a long story), but it would be most effective way for our planet to progress as a whole.

Edited by Twinkle Arora is back, 23 February 2013 - 02:56 PM.

#8    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

This is India taking its place as a superpower -- probably some time in the next century, but we see the beginnings now.  We need to reform the Security Council to take France and Britain off and put India and Japan on.

Sure, and we'll throw Germany onto the council too - they are the economic powerhouse of western europe. Oh wait, I don't think the other powers will like your idea :whistle:

#9    HuntrSThompsun

HuntrSThompsun

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

Will they set up customer support call centers there too?

#10    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,544 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

I don't think Germany will ever be a serious candidate.  The thing is, the present situation is steadily rendering the Security Council less and less relevant.

If France and Britain and Germany were to go on the Council, then no doubt Indonesia and Brazil and S. Africa and who knows who else should too.  This might work if the veto were restricted.

#11    Him over there

Him over there

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

Ok Waspie_Dwarf what is more important, saving your countries children from death by malnutrition or sending a small and insignificant probe to Mars and leting everyone have access to mobile phones (that the needy canít afford and donít need).
Gosh itís a close call if you have your priorities wrong.

#12    ozman

ozman

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 276 posts

• techlivewire.com is my main site.

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

Its funny that they got money for nukes and billion dollar spacecraft trips to mars but 90% of their people are in poverty, especially aboriginals.

#13    CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

• Without going out of my door
    I can know all things of earth
    Without looking out of my window
    I could know the ways of heaven

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

WTF ? Man have they got their priorities wrong. :td:

#14    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,313 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

=============================================================================

What will they be watching? adverts and FOOD programmes? Boy, they really have got their priorities mixed up!  T.v before food and education for the villages??

Is that how they are going to educate their children? with t.v`s?

How about SCHOOLS and FOOD   first????  Thats what I thought our aid was going to them for!!

ps: are they going to have a satellite system on MARS for the t.v`s???

Edited by freetoroam, 23 February 2013 - 08:19 PM.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#15    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,151 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:18 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 23 February 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

I'm not entirely sure what a small, scientific, robotic probe to another planet has to do with colonisation, overpopulation or the Earth's environment.

What it does signify is the emergence of India from developing nation into a scientific and economic superpower.

Caller: "I'm having a problem with my Verizon account"

Sahib from India: "I'm sorry sir, please call again when I actually care."

Also tagged with mars, mangalyaan, isro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users