Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Flawed F-35 Fighter Too Big to Kill

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,318 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

Bloomberg said:

Flawed F-35 Fighter Too Big to Kill as Lockheed Hooks 45 States

By Kathleen Miller, Tony Capaccio & Danielle Ivory - Feb 22, 2013 3:00 AM GMT+0200

F-35: A Short History of the Costliest Fighter Ever
The Pentagon envisioned the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter as an affordable, state-of-the-art stealth jet serving three military branches and U.S. allies.

Instead, the Lockheed Martin Corp. (LMT) aircraft has been plagued by a costly redesign, bulkhead cracks, too much weight, and delays to essential software that have helped put it seven years behind schedule and 70 percent over its initial cost estimate. At almost $400 billion, it’s the most expensive weapons system in U.S. history.

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,951 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

Wish it would get killed. The price doesn't stop climbing, doesn't match all our needs, and yet my government seems hell bent on buying them no matter what.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#3    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,592 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

View PostCorp, on 22 February 2013 - 04:46 PM, said:

Wish it would get killed. The price doesn't stop climbing, doesn't match all our needs, and yet my government seems hell bent on buying them no matter what.

Just buy those fancy new ones Iran has.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#4    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,837 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

View PostCorp, on 22 February 2013 - 04:46 PM, said:

The funny thing is, the F35, from what I understand, originated as an effort to provide a more cost-effective alternative to the F-22.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#5    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,837 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

View PostSweetpumper, on 22 February 2013 - 04:48 PM, said:

Hahah, I'm betting that the batteries in the remote controller don't fare too well in the arctic.

----Seraphina

#6    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,776 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

it is about money, and political pull, than the plane itself.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#7    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,579 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

History has shown that a one-size-fits-all platform never really works and certainly doesn't save money.  There's a reason why you have different air frames performing different missions.

That said, name a weapons system that has been deployed in the past 50 years that hasn't had cost overruns, production delays, and similar articles written about them.  Even our most venerable "backbone" systems in use today were laughable government follies at one time or another.  It seems to be the norm rather than the exception in military procurement.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#8    Gummug

Gummug

Poltergeist

• 2,344 posts

• "There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy" -- Shakespeare

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:35 PM

View PostStellar, on 22 February 2013 - 04:49 PM, said:

The funny thing is, the F35, from what I understand, originated as an effort to provide a more cost-effective alternative to the F-22.
Figures. I was gonna ask, what's wrong with the F-22? I'm not sure there's even anything out there that can touch it. (I'm not up on air weapon systems though.)

Posted Image

#9    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,837 posts

-Patton

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

View PostGummug, on 22 February 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Figures. I was gonna ask, what's wrong with the F-22? I'm not sure there's even anything out there that can touch it. (I'm not up on air weapon systems though.)

F-22 costs $150 million per aircraft. The F-35 was originally supposed to cost much less, I think around 50 or 60 million... but has gone up to 107 million now for the classic take off varient.

----Seraphina

#10    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

If it takes 20 years from board to combat flight its a failed money sucking project. Look at the innovation we accomplished during WW2 as an example of what we can do and how fast we can advance these things if we put our "true" effort into it. Its just about the $$

#11    MichaelW

MichaelW

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,523 posts

• Doctors are sadists who like to play God and watch lesser people scream.

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:32 PM

Too big to kill? Isn't that because the F-35 is meant to carry out strike missions against ground targets also and therefore needs to be a bit bigger and stronger than the F-22 in order to carry bigger munitions?

Signature removed - please see rule 3b.

#12    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:37 PM

Im not sure how much were allowed to talk about the F-35's capabilities outside of America. Sorry.

#13    Gromdor

Gromdor

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:54 PM

It's going to be an export fighter, meaning we are selling it to countries overseas.  Italy, Canada, Japan, Australia, and 4 other countries are buying it.

#14    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,668 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:01 AM

View PostSweetpumper, on 22 February 2013 - 04:48 PM, said:

They'd probably sell them for chicken and pistachios :w00t:

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#15    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,668 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:04 AM

View PostGummug, on 22 February 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

One thing I recently learned about the F-22 is that it has to be re-coated with special coatings for every so many flight hours or it does not remain stealthy.  Not sure this is a big issue but it seems that anything that affects combat ops would have to be figured into the mix for costs to own.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users