Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Britain's worst ever serial killer:

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

She was dubbed the 'Angel Maker', a prolific serial killer responsible for the murders of around 400 babies, horrific crimes that sent a shock wave through 19th century Britain.

Amelia Dyer preyed on the down-on-their-luck, desperate unmarried mothers who paid her to have their children adopted in the naive belief she would find them a better life.

But there would be no fairytale endings, instead this despicable woman simply took the money before strangling the helpless infants with dressmaking tape and dumping their bodies in the River Thames.

Read more

Posted Image

#2    schizoidwoman

schizoidwoman

The roosting goose...

• 12,678 posts

• Much mischief is done by the misuse of mercury...

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

An interesting read about a lady I've encountered a few times in my reading. If you're interested in crime and punishment, I can hugely recommend the Old Bailey Online, I've lost many hours browsing there!

www.oldbaileyonline.org

Edited by schizoidwoman, 23 February 2013 - 06:59 PM.

#3    Antilles

Antilles

NCC-1701

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:26 AM

Thanks. I've just added that site to my faves.

Different time, different social structure I understand. But I still find it difficult to believe that no-one cottoned on to her earlier.

Just like Mary Ann Cotton.

Excuse the segway.

Cotton was knocking off her own family (and her husbands and lovers and their kids) and everyone went oh dear, gastric influenza or whatever and she got the insurance and moved on.

Go back a bit further and there's Billy Palmer of Rugeley, knocking off his kids and his relatives and his friends with arsenic and collecting the insurance.

Insurance was a big deal in the 19th century.....

#4    pallidin

pallidin

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,099 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

Dang, that's shocking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users