Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What happens when you die?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16    ambelamba

ambelamba

Just an average guy who tries to be...NORMAL!!!!

• 3,284 posts

• It's good to be mildly skeptical to remain sane. But too much of it will make you a douche.

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:15 AM

My opinion on afterlife is rather on the middle of the road.

I think afterlife is a shared dream, no more no less. Probably it's not divided as heaven and hell. Ancient Egyptians believed that afterlife is like an extension of this life.

Screw God, people first.

They came with a Bible and their religion. stole our land, crushed our spirit, and now they tell us we should be thankful to the Lord for being saved.

-Chief Pontiac (1718-1769)

#17    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,521 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:29 AM

View Postskullgunner1, on 23 February 2013 - 08:40 PM, said:

I don't know what to do, as an intro. I've been believing in God my entire life but... there's a lot of good arguments against him. I'm afraid to doubt him, because, if he does after all exist, and I doubt him, and if I go and get hit by a bus, I go to hell for all of eternity. And it's strange because I'm taking an Apologetic's class, which makes me question theories.

So, I'm asking you guys, what do YOU think happens after you die? I've done a bunch of research on this case and, with recent scientific studies, it shows that a consciousness cannot simply go away and disappear. In fact, it just leaves your body once you die. What do you think happens after that?
I'll give you the general run down and average experience.

1st you will find yourself floating over your body and confused.

2nd there will some sort of tunnel with a brightening at the end of it.

3rd. Although this can happen before the 2nd or after the third it's a little different for everyone. You will experience a life review. Your entire life will flash before your eyes. It's cliche for a reason.

4. You will be greatet by someone/s you know to make your transition easier.

5. You will encounter the light and have a merger experience. ( at this pont if you were particularly clouded you might need to spend some time processing it... This is the fabled hell, but don't worry you will emerge.

6.) you will occupy an existence of freedom for a while. Go fishing with your uncle, hang with gramps... Whatever. When you get bored you can choose another life.

This is just what I have gathered from others and my own experiences. But who knows :)

Edited by Seeker79, 24 February 2013 - 06:37 AM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#18    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,564 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:34 AM

View PostSeeker79, on 24 February 2013 - 06:29 AM, said:

I'll give you the general run down and average experience.
Actually the average experience is nothingness. This has been pointed out to you before.

#19    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,521 posts

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:39 AM

View PostRlyeh, on 24 February 2013 - 06:34 AM, said:

Actually the average experience is nothingness. This has been pointed out to you before.
All do respect rlyeh you don't have the slightest clue the dynamics of altered state experiences, and your OPINIONS are based on nothin more than your ignorance. Sorry brother.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#20    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,564 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:48 AM

View PostSeeker79, on 24 February 2013 - 06:39 AM, said:

All do respect rlyeh you don't have the slightest clue the dynamics of altered state experiences, and your OPINIONS are based on nothin more than your ignorance. Sorry brother.
It would appear your math is just as pitiful as your reading. *snip*

11% isn't average.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....6?dopt=Abstract

Edited by Paranoid Android, 25 February 2013 - 08:00 AM.
Removed insult

#21    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,521 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:05 AM

View PostRlyeh, on 24 February 2013 - 06:48 AM, said:

It would appear your math is just as pitiful as your reading. Should've paid more attention in school *snip*

11% isn't average.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....6?dopt=Abstract
How can you possibly even begin to to come up with a percentage when you don't have a clue. You do realize that right. You don't really know what you are talking about *snip* I used to tutor in college . Statistics through research papers. Your problem brother is that you only believe what you read without aplying an iota of critical thought. I will not even try to explaine it to you mostly because I i have this gut feeling that you are on the spectrum *snip*

Edited by Paranoid Android, 25 February 2013 - 07:57 AM.
Removed inflammatory remark/s

Bruce Lee-

#22    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,564 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:50 AM

View PostSeeker79, on 24 February 2013 - 07:05 AM, said:

How can you possibly even begin to to come up with a percentage when you don't have a clue. You do realize that right. You don't really know what you are talking about *snip* I used to tutor in college . Statistics through research papers. Your problem brother is that you only believe what you read without aplying an iota of critical thought. I will not even try to explaine it to you mostly because I i have this gut feeling that you are on the spectrum *snip*
I thought you would've learned by now seeker. If you read the article, you'd understand where the percentage came from. The article does not support your statement.
At first I thought it was ignorance, but no one can be so clueless, making the same mistake time and time again. We learn from mistakes, however it appears you lack this valuable faculty. *snip*

BTW Kent Hovind apparently taught science in school, look what a tool he is. If someone hired him, why not you? :lol:

Edited by Paranoid Android, 25 February 2013 - 07:58 AM.
Removed personal attack

#23    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,526 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:58 AM

It all depends on how dependent mind is on brain.  There is lots of evidence that mind is very much a product of brain -- especially the storage and recall of memory.

Still the mysteries of sentience and consciousness, and a variety of other things we find in human beings, such as devotion, altruism, humor, art, duty, and so on, while no doubt partly deriving from natural selection and the building by it of instincts, still remain basically unexplained.  Now just because something is unexplained is not grounds for leaping all over the place and deciding we have an afterlife and so on -- it only presents the idea that mind might have some aspects independent of physical causality -- of brain.

The Hindu-Buddhist concept of mind as a process comparable to a flame or a wave in the water fits this concept of mind using brain to do its thing, but being independent of it.  When the brain dies, this process is left bereft of most of its functionality -- especially most if not all of its memories, and it very much wants to get its life back.

The rest of the story has been told before.

#24    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,521 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:53 AM

View PostRlyeh, on 24 February 2013 - 07:50 AM, said:

I thought you would've learned by now seeker. If you read the article, you'd understand where the percentage came from. The article does not support your statement.
At first I thought it was ignorance, but no one can be so clueless, making the same mistake time and time again. We learn from mistakes, however it appears you lack this valuable faculty.  *snip*.

BTW Kent Hovind apparently taught science in school, look what a tool he is. If someone hired him, why not you? :lol:
You did not deni it.  You are spectrum are you not?

Edited by Paranoid Android, 25 February 2013 - 07:59 AM.
edited quote

Bruce Lee-

#25    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,564 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:35 AM

View PostSeeker79, on 25 February 2013 - 05:53 AM, said:

You did not deni it.  You are spectrum are you not?
*snip*

Specify what spectrum. Because I've already explained to you I have clinical depression and anxiety disorders, however these aren't learning disorders.

Edited by Paranoid Android, 25 February 2013 - 07:59 AM.
Remove personal attack

#26    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,526 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:45 AM

There are so many different mental disorders it is hard to keep track of them, so I understand people jumping to the wrong conclusions sometimes.  It is however good that they are being better and better distinguished so that they can be better and better managed.

My wife had ADD, and that is often seen as a learning disability, but there was nothing wrong with her intelligence nor her learning ability.  She just had a wandering mind and had trouble paying attention -- so teachers back then said she couldn't learn.

Let me say that there are often compensations.  The compensation for depression is I think a certain ability to be introspective and philosophical (at least I find it so with me, although my depression tends to be mild).  The compensation for ADD is a delightful sense of humor and a great spontaneity.

#27    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 24,529 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:55 AM

Rlyeh and Seeker79 - tone it down, and cut out the personal jibes.  It is counter productive and just leads to further problems.  I've edited several remarks.  I trust I will not need to edit any further.

~ Paranoid Android

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#28    Knight Of Shadows

Knight Of Shadows

Shadow Dancer

• 5,251 posts

• Rest In Peace A.B

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:18 AM

i'll let you guys know when i die :D

by the name of Allah the Gracious the Merciful
Say, "I seek refuge in the Lord of daybreak From the evil of that which He created
And from the evil of darkness when it settles And from the evil of the blowers in knots
And from the evil of an envier when he envies"
truthful was Allah The Most High And Great

#29    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,526 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:50 AM

If I remember the story correctly Houdini gave his wife a secret word so that is a spiritualist got in contact with him she could know if it was genuine or not.  It appears none of them ever knew the secret word.

That might be a good idea for all of us to do when we are dying and we have gullible relatives that we don't want fleeced.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users