Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Give horsemeat-tainted food to poor -

dirk niebel poor horsemeat germany food

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,515 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

View PostSakari, on 24 February 2013 - 01:24 AM, said:

I understand it is horse meat. Personally, I think it should be illegal. ( Grew up in Nevada, look up the Wild Horse adoption fiasco ).....So, I do not think it is perfectly fine to eat.

I will have to say, if it is not illegal there to kill and butcher horses for human consumption, then I can not really argue.

They are all ready killed, so yes, at least let their death help something. I just have a hard time with the horse meat being eaten, and the " not good for normal folk, so lets give it to poor people "....

How about dog food for humane societies, or dog rescues?

Food for animals at Zoos?

I could go for that.

Edit :  It was tainted meat, by definition. So, " uneducated people " were correct......Just some do not know the definition of " tainted ".

I take it you are not poor and starving, so as i pointed out earlier, its the people who are NOT poor and starving who are going to say do not give them the meat, because of your moral beliefs.
I know you say yes give it too them if it is not illegal there...it is not illegal in many countries.

But my main point is, I so hope people do not try and stop this because of their moral beliefs...let the starving people have their say!!!

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#17    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 24 February 2013 - 12:07 PM, said:

Why would Horses have been fed with chemicals? If they'd been bred specifically for food like beef cattle, then they might have been, but what any the previous posters have been talking about is the principle of eating Horse meat.

Horses, I am to believe, are often during the course of their lives given chemicals that are dangerous for human consumption. In fairness, I probably should not have used the term 'fed', as they may be injected.

And the previous posters were commenting on the topic of the thread. The topic is about not wasting the horse-meat tainted foods, by giving it, instead, to the poor - something that could in fact be potentially very dangerous. It is not about eating horse-meat in general. Most people agreed that giving the tainted food to the poor would be a good idea, which is what my post was addressing.

If you want to realistically look at feeding the poor, you should go to any supermarket, food-producing factory. Each factory throws out literally tons of perfectly edible food every single day. It's disgusting (and something I've seen first-hand).

Edited by ExpandMyMind, 24 February 2013 - 03:39 PM.

#18    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,515 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

If you want to realistically look at feeding the poor, you should go to any supermarket, food-producing factory. Each factory throws out literally tons of perfectly edible food every single day. It's disgusting (and something I've seen first-hand).

=============

I have seen it too.
But the health and safety brigade will say that it is out of date so has to be thrown, forgetting that some of the starving are eating mud!!

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#19    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 23 February 2013 - 09:00 PM, said:

Germany's development minister has suggested food tainted with horsemeat should be distributed to the poor

It sounds a good idea.

#20    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• 1,144 posts
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

View PostHilander, on 23 February 2013 - 11:50 PM, said:

As long as people know it contains horse meat.  I wouldn't touch it, I consider a horse a pet just like a dog, not food.

There's a guy I know who has sheep as pets.  I still like a bit of lamb, though.

#21    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:58 AM

View PostSakari, on 24 February 2013 - 01:24 AM, said:

I will have to say, if it is not illegal there to kill and butcher horses for human consumption, then I can not really argue.

Actually horses are rarely slaughtered to eat in most parts of Europe, most countries import it from South America. A small portion comes from fallen racehorses.
Since the crisis there have been more horses slaughtered for consumption in Europe, since more and more ppl do not have the money to care for them.

It is interesting to see some think it should be illegal...puts the spotlight on how hypocrite it all is really. The cliché of india and their sacred cows come to mind.

Anyway, it would be good for the poor. Horse meat is far more healthy than beef. It's lean meat with a higher level or iron.
Don't see why ppl are making such big deal of it in the way that they make it out to be "bad food".

The headlines should've just said "poor are being given wrongly labeled food". Because that is the only problem here, the fact that the labels were faulty. In all cases the content should be correctly labeled. Doesnt make the food bad, just the label.

Edited by Render, 25 February 2013 - 08:00 AM.

#22    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

Often Unsatisfactory

• 23,519 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:31 AM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 24 February 2013 - 03:37 PM, said:

Horses, I am to believe, are often during the course of their lives given chemicals that are dangerous for human consumption. In fairness, I probably should not have used the term 'fed', as they may be injected.

And the previous posters were commenting on the topic of the thread. The topic is about not wasting the horse-meat tainted foods, by giving it, instead, to the poor - something that could in fact be potentially very dangerous. It is not about eating horse-meat in general.
What, then, is the topic about, as you seem so sure?

View PostExpandMyMind, on 24 February 2013 - 03:37 PM, said:

And the previous posters were commenting on the topic of the thread. The topic is about not wasting the horse-meat tainted foods, by giving it, instead, to the poor - something that could in fact be potentially very dangerous. It is not about eating horse-meat in general.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#23    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:14 AM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 25 February 2013 - 08:31 AM, said:

I've answered that question in the second sentence of the post that you quoted: 'The topic is about not wasting the horse-meat tainted foods, by giving it, instead, to the poor'.

Perhaps you read the 'about' and 'not' the wrong way around?

#24    Moon Gazer

Moon Gazer

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

• Stonewylde.... follow me to Stonewylde....

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

View PostSakari, on 24 February 2013 - 12:47 AM, said:

So, lets give tainted food to the poor?

Hey, lets give them our tainted left overs, our old useless bed mattresses, etc.

People broke a law, how about fine them, and use the fines to fight poverty. Kill 2 birds with one stone.

Hey if people are genuinely poor and struggling to get any food I am sure horse meat will be lovely for them.  I wholeheartedly agree with your second statement, people have broken the law and ignored regulations and that needs a thorough investigation and those responsible need to face the punishment.

I did hear something about some kind of painkiller or something that may have been used on horses which *could* have got in to the food that is harmful to humans but I don't know how true that is.  If the only contamination to the food is actual horse meat then it's perfectly edible.

#25    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• 1,440 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

If the source of the Horse meat is good and fit for Human Consumption,then there is no issue.I personally have no problem with eating Horse meat,having eaten meats such as Deer,Ostrich,wilderbeest,kangaroo,Moose.As the population of the World increases we may have to eat foods that we wouldn't normally touch.In our own prehistory we would have eaten what ever we could have got our hands on so why Quibble now.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#26    hatecraft

hatecraft

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

Beggars can't be choosers.

#27    ali smack

ali smack

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

• If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

what everyone seems to be forgetting is the horse meat has traces of BUTE in it. So it is dangerous to eat it as it could kill.
I wonder if people say the same thing if they where given dog meat, cat meat or some other sort of pet?

#28    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:25 PM

View Postali smack, on 26 February 2013 - 06:08 PM, said:

what everyone seems to be forgetting is the horse meat has traces of BUTE in it. So it is dangerous to eat it as it could kill.
I wonder if people say the same thing if they where given dog meat, cat meat or some other sort of pet?

Eum...lets correct this oversimplified post shall we?

A very small percentage of horses exported for consumption have had traces of bute in them. It's not standard, duh.

Horses that have been treated with bute are banned from human food by the Food Standards Agency. Last year the FSA found five instances of bute traces in horse meat, but none had been used for food in the UK. Appropriate overseas agencies were informed.

http://www.independe...al-8486089.html

"We're finding a rate of about 5%. It's banned, so the number of non-compliant samples should be zero."
Since 2005, horses are required by law to have a "passport" that contains a declaration as to whether the horse is intended for human consumption.
These passports are also used to record if an animal has been treated with bute; most of the UK positives have come from difficulties with these documents.
"That's really where the problems come from - either a genuine error or where there's deliberate fraud going on," said Dr Craig.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-21383362

But hey, nevermind the facts. This is the fearmongering forum right? Lets all claim horse meat is evil and full of chemicals to create a mutant race amongst the poor.

#29    acute

acute

The Hedgeless Hoglet

• 2,088 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:34 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 24 February 2013 - 11:54 AM, said:

Do any of the previous posters know where the horse-meat came from, exactly, and what chemicals that the horses were fed during their lives?

Last time you had steak, were you shown a copy of the cow's medical records?

#30    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:39 PM

View Postacute alan, on 26 February 2013 - 10:34 PM, said:

Last time you had steak, were you shown a copy of the cow's medical records?

No, but British beef is well regulated and entirely traceable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users