Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What is it to be human?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:39 AM

View Postouija ouija, on 25 February 2013 - 01:03 AM, said:

Many species of animals would not survive if they didn't have a way of communicating with each other, to enhance simply copying each other's actions. Birds and animals have a much more detailed vocabulary than most people realise! They're not just making a panicky sound to warn others to flee, etc.

Yes, other species also have cultures that are passed on to generations, chimps are one of them.

#17    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:44 AM

View PostRlyeh, on 25 February 2013 - 12:09 AM, said:

An organism that possesses the human genome.

So if a person is missing a chromosome (Downs syndrome) they're not human?

Anyways, the OP asked "what it is to be a human in the Philosophical, Psycological or Spiritual sense of the word"

#18    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,833 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:58 AM

View Postredhen, on 25 February 2013 - 04:44 AM, said:

So if a person is missing a chromosome (Downs syndrome) they're not human?
Downs syndrome is actually caused by extra chromosomes.
http://www.medicalne...cles/145554.php

Anyways, the OP asked "what it is to be a human in the Philosophical, Psycological or Spiritual sense of the word"
And I answered according to naturalism (philosophy).

#19    notoverrated

notoverrated

O.O

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

• courage > scooby

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:16 AM

View PostProfessor T, on 24 February 2013 - 07:30 AM, said:

Well that's weird?
so far 6 members have responded and all 6 responses have been different?

Perhaps I should have clarified that only Humans should be answering the question.. :whistle:

:P

Posted Image
when i was younger i always wondered why that guy had 4 legs and 4 arms.

If your not after beauty, then why are you even drawing breath?

#20    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:14 AM

Good question. Id have to think on it for a few years and get back to you. So far I only seem to run into inhumane things in life. The humanity I do run into seems burned into oppression.

#21    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:22 AM

View Postnotoverrated, on 25 February 2013 - 07:16 AM, said:

when i was younger i always wondered why that guy had 4 legs and 4 arms.
I guess he was an octoped.

#22    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:26 AM

I think, in spite of the fact that we see signs of culture in some animals, that human beings have culture in ways that are absent elsewhere.  In particular, if you cross a national boundary, all of a sudden (in many cases -- there are of course more artificial boundaries) everything changes.  The language, the architecture, the way farm plots are set out, even the side of the street people drive on.  This has diminished over the last century as the world's culture has been becoming more homogeneous, but it is still noticeable.

One of the fun things to try is to check a given culture and see whether, when there is a spot on someone's face, the person telling the spotted one about it points to the actual side of the face its on or to the mirror image side.  I have found it varies fairly systematically from culture to culture.

#23    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 25 February 2013 - 06:58 AM, said:

Downs syndrome is actually caused by extra chromosomes.
http://www.medicalne...cles/145554.php

And I answered according to naturalism (philosophy).

You're equivocating now. Natural philosophy is an archaic term for what we would call science. No one uses that term instead of science in casual conversation.

The OP is not interested in biology for arguments sake, just Philosophical, Psychological or Spiritual.

#24    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,833 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

View Postredhen, on 25 February 2013 - 12:39 PM, said:

You're equivocating now. Natural philosophy is an archaic term for what we would call science. No one uses that term instead of science in casual conversation.
Please get your facts straight before picking and choosing what is valid philosophy.

http://www.naturalism.org/

#25    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 25 February 2013 - 01:23 PM, said:

Please get your facts straight before picking and choosing what is valid philosophy.

http://www.naturalism.org/

"If you don’t believe in anything supernatural – gods, ghosts, immaterial souls and spirits – then you subscribe to naturalism, the idea that nature is all there is."

Ah, I apologize, naturalism is not natural philosophy;  the definition in that link you provided denotes materialism.

Thanks for clarifying that.

And according to your naturalistic beliefs, if a person is missing or has extra chromosomes, or has other genetic abnormalities that fall outside the baseline humane genome, they are not human. Have I got that right?

#26    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,833 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

View Postredhen, on 25 February 2013 - 02:12 PM, said:

And according to your naturalistic beliefs, if a person is missing or has extra chromosomes, or has other genetic abnormalities that fall outside the baseline humane genome, they are not human. Have I got that right?
No, even they still have human genetics. The fact you need to ask this implies you're just trolling.

#27    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 6,968 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

Human beings are what human beings expects other human beings to strive and aspire to be but only for oneself to consider doing, along the line of common expectations due to the considerations of other human beings.

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#28    J. K.

J. K.

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

As has been mentioned, we know that some animals have abilities such as communication and reasoning.  I tried to think of examples of human endeavors which animals don't accomplish.  I came up with a few random thoughts.

Do animals anticipate death?  Do they prepare for death, or care for their dead?

Do animals create for aesthetic purposes rather than functional purposes?

Do animals practice medicine, or perform surgery?

One's reality is another's nightmare.

#29    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:08 PM

Frankly I never saw any artistic value in a bird bower or a whale opera, in spite of the TV overvoice's enthusiasm.  I don't think art is anywhere near the reason these things are created.

#30    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 25 February 2013 - 02:19 PM, said:

No, even they still have human genetics. The fact you need to ask this implies you're just trolling.

You originally responded to the OP's question with "An organism that possesses the human genome." While that's not within the OP's criteria, I just wanted clarification. If you consider that trolling, that's your prerogative.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users