Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Do you think " humans " are over populated?

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#1    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,358 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:05 AM

I put this in Nature, as the question pertains more to nature, and the environment, then to anything else.

So, do you think there are too many people for this world to support under current and future situations?

Not just the environment, but greed, crime, employment, etc.

We keep seeing invasive species articles, and this is what sparked me to start this topic.

Are we over populated?

Does anyone see their grand children, or their grand children having a " natural world " ?

Personally, I think we are a cancer at this point.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#2    pitchp

pitchp

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 210 posts

• "I go when I want to go. To prolong life would be tasteless"
    Albert Einstein

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:32 AM

if your ego is planning to be a super hero and try and save this world. Don't bother. There many worlds like these. This is not the only one. The universe created all of us for a reason. For sure we all set up our own destruction. But that is just how this universe is. It creates itself and destroys itself. Take a look around you brother were not the only creatures that populutes this world. Yes the universe has it's own ways of destroying itself, go look up blackholes. A treamendous force, designed only for one thing.... to destroy this universe. So before your ego get the best of you, do your research and ask yourself, what the hell is the point to all of this.... Spiritual evolution. That's all it is dude. You will live many lifetimes after this be it be a man or a woman perhaps even an animal. What ever it is, they are all part of your spiritual evolution. Oh and this is not the only universe. Try and contemplate that in your mind. We are all designed to procreate, every day a typical man has over 300 million souls in his balls, all wanting to experience life in this planet. Now ask yourself do you want to be part of the greater plan and procreate. Or are you like me that has had enough of these lifetimes and illusions. And no longer want to be any part of it. All the best to your awakening. I hope you learn what you need to learn

"The truth is out there. We are all searching for it."
   PitchP

#3    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:49 AM

There's plenty of space yet, we're just crammed into smaller area's together, (Cities)

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

#4    Bildr

Bildr

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

• “Enlightenment is not imagining figures of light but making the darkness conscious.” -Carl Gustav Jung

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:07 AM

I will use what I call my bathroom metaphor. Two people live in an apartment and there are two bathrooms, then both have the freedom of the bathroom. You can go to the bathroom anytime you want, and stay as long as you want, for whatever you need. Everyone believes in the Freedom of the bathroom. It should be right there in the Constitution. But if you have 20 people in the apartment and two bathrooms, no matter how much every person believes in the freedom of the bathroom, there is no such thing. You have to set up times for each person, you have to bang at the door, "Aren't you through yet?" and so on.The same way democracy cannot survive overpopulation. Human dignity cannot survive it. Convenience and decency cannot survive it. As you put more and more people into the world, the value of life not only declines, it disappears. It doesn't matter if someone dies. The more people there are the less one individual matters.
  -Isaac Asimov

Posted Image

#5    shrooma

shrooma

doesn't have one screw fully tightened.....

• 3,562 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:11 AM

I once flew from chicago to new orleans, at night, and it was just hours of darkness punctuated by the occasional lights of a city, so I kinda agree with the previous post, that there's still loads of room left for expansion, we just need to properly utilise the space instead of all bunching up, but at the current rate of population growth, then in a couple of hundred years time, with the space needed for agriculture and livestock, we could be in serious trouble.....

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on due to your lack of understanding.

#6    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,341 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:06 AM

Depends on if you want sustainability. If you don't care about tomorrow, then today is doing OK. If we want tomorrow not to suck, we need a lot less people... world wide.

The US has only like 300 million people. Try India with a third the land and three times the people.

The US has a population density of 16 people per square mile. But worldwide the number is 43 people per square mile. So imagine the US with three times as many people and that is the world average. Imagine three times as many people in LA. Imagine three times as many people in New York. And you get the idea of how many people there really is out there.

Answer: We're getting there QUICK.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#7    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,358 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:06 AM

View Postshrooma, on 24 February 2013 - 03:11 AM, said:

I once flew from chicago to new orleans, at night, and it was just hours of darkness punctuated by the occasional lights of a city, so I kinda agree with the previous post, that there's still loads of room left for expansion, we just need to properly utilise the space instead of all bunching up, but at the current rate of population growth, then in a couple of hundred years time, with the space needed for agriculture and livestock, we could be in serious trouble.....

I am not talking the space to build houses, and to put people. I am talking the resources, and how we are destroying things.

Shark fins.

Poisining the oceans.

non-native species being introduced.

Over fishing.

Jobs / employment / work

Land mass versus people is not the question, the resources needed to survive are.

View PostDieChecker, on 24 February 2013 - 04:06 AM, said:

Depends on if you want sustainability. If you don't care about tomorrow, then today is doing OK. If we want tomorrow not to suck, we need a lot less people... world wide.

The US has only like 300 million people. Try India with a third the land and three times the people.

The US has a population density of 16 people per square mile. But worldwide the number is 43 people per square mile. So imagine the US with three times as many people and that is the world average. Imagine three times as many people in LA. Imagine three times as many people in New York. And you get the idea of how many people there really is out there.

Answer: We're getting there QUICK.

I agree..... :tu:

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#8    Mnemonix

Mnemonix

Alien Abducter

• Closed
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:11 AM

Yes.

I don't plan on having any children, even if it doesn't help anything.

#9    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,871 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:23 AM

View Postshrooma, on 24 February 2013 - 03:11 AM, said:

Pretty much the same when flying from Heathrow to Dublin. Besides the west coast the east side of the US is one of the most populated areas.

But hey, I didn't contribute to over population by having kids. If I had my way, every child born would be fixed at birth and have to get a license to have a child and get the procedure reversed. :D

Edited by Michelle, 24 February 2013 - 04:49 AM.

#10    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,871 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:29 AM

View PostMnemonix, on 24 February 2013 - 04:11 AM, said:

I don't plan on having any children, even if it doesn't help anything.

Don't forget to use protection, because otherwise it is completely out of your hands. I wouldn't count on someone to say that they have taken care of it. :no:

#11    Cryptid_Control

Cryptid_Control

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

• “When the snows falls and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives.”

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:54 AM

We aren't quite over populated now, but at the rate we're going we sure as hell will be in the future. Sure there is room for expansion in the world space wise, but think about the resources each person uses, there is a finite number of those and we over use them.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

#12    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,871 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:15 AM

The thing that infuriates me the most are people that preach about over population and yet they have kids. I can truthfully say I walk the walk and talk the talk. They will blame it on being young or having no control over a situation, but we all make consious choices. It's not like they weren't informed. I wouldn't believe anyone over the age of 14 if they said they didn't know what the consequences of having unprotected sex were.

Edited by Michelle, 24 February 2013 - 05:15 AM.

#13    Cryptid_Control

Cryptid_Control

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

• “When the snows falls and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives.”

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:50 AM

View PostMichelle, on 24 February 2013 - 05:15 AM, said:

The thing that infuriates me the most are people that preach about over population and yet they have kids. I can truthfully say I walk the walk and talk the talk. They will blame it on being young or having no control over a situation, but we all make consious choices. It's not like they weren't informed. I wouldn't believe anyone over the age of 14 if they said they didn't know what the consequences of having unprotected sex were.

But really you can't expect everyone to abstain from sex, and even while taking all of the right precautions accidents happen. I don't know anyone that would preach about over population and yet go unprotected.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

#14    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

The world isn't at a standstill, neither is evolution and adaptation. Society adapts to situations, including more population.

Ppl have to learn to not think in terms of today. The future does not equal today + billions of extra people. It will be a different situation then and of course it will be sustainable. Just like in older times their were fewer people on this earth and now population has expanded and overall condititions for living have improved massively. The same will continue through time.

#15    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,341 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:41 PM

View PostRender, on 25 February 2013 - 09:48 AM, said:

The world isn't at a standstill, neither is evolution and adaptation. Society adapts to situations, including more population.

Ppl have to learn to not think in terms of today. The future does not equal today + billions of extra people. It will be a different situation then and of course it will be sustainable. Just like in older times their were fewer people on this earth and now population has expanded and overall condititions for living have improved massively. The same will continue through time.
Though it is true that the ability to sustain a higher population continues to increase, there is a finate amount of space and resources. There are 3 times as many people alive today as there was in 1950. Just 60 years ago. There are already overcrowded nations with people routinely starving to death. That these populations will starve down to a sustainable level is natural, and perhaps that is what you are talking about... self correction?

I think that stacking people up into taller and taller cities is not considered sustainable. I think it qualifies as a symptom of overpopulation. When people have to live closer, and closer together, it eventually will cause issues.

Also most of the growth is in nations that have lower standards of living. To be sustainable, these people will need to move/migrate into more sustainable... higher standard of lving, areas. This could happen. Witness the movement of various Muslim groups into Europe, and Mexican/South American groups  When the Have-Nots become unsustainable, they move or start wars.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users