Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Do you think " humans " are over populated?

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#136    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:09 AM

View PostCoffey, on 12 March 2013 - 10:24 PM, said:

Put it this way, if nature created a bad virus that wipes out most of our population. Would you be surprised? That is my view at the moment. I don't agree with a small number of people controlling population etc, but I do think as a whole we need to start doing somehting and making progress, right now we are an awful species wasting our gift of intelligence.

All what we have achieved is a waste of gift and intelligence according to you? Then you simply haven't opened your eyes yet.

View PostSakari, on 12 March 2013 - 11:51 PM, said:

No I would not, and I hope it happens.

That's what i meant with there's still a shortage of visionairies on this world. Ppl like you who believe they're on to something by saying these sadistic things like a huge wipe out in population is a-coming and si justified. That's just lazy thinking.

#137    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,402 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:25 AM

I would not be surprised, but you sound as though you think "nature" has a sense of purpose.  If such a virus arises and does this, it will be a tragedy and entirely just a natural disaster, not nature somehow getting a revenge or some such stupid notion.

#138    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,402 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:30 AM

Some of the participants here, in my opinion, personify nature too much, maybe not consciously, as though nature were some sort of god.  As a result they end up wanting to protect the way things are rather than allowing for human progress -- for semi-religious rather than logical reasons -- although of course they are obliged to try to find rational basis when someone not as romantic about nature raises questions.

#139    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,657 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:38 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 13 March 2013 - 09:30 AM, said:

Some of the participants here, in my opinion, personify nature too much, maybe not consciously, as though nature were some sort of god.  As a result they end up wanting to protect the way things are rather than allowing for human progress -- for semi-religious rather than logical reasons -- although of course they are obliged to try to find rational basis when someone not as romantic about nature raises questions.
If you are putting myself into that category - you would be wrong.
I just think its a crying shame that for a lack of wisdom we are going to wipe out a lot of life on this planet - and probably ourselves to boot. This is not based on anything other than an analysis of the available data. For a species which claims to be so intelligent to get to such a bad pass is a tragedy.

As I have said, life is persistent, and ultimately our mistakes will not matter as things will recover as they have in the past. However what a waste of ourselves and our beautiful planet as it is. Such a brutally short and pointless period of the earths history - to do such willful damage in such an amazingly short amount of time.

This is not even abstract - we will suffer as a consequence in our own lifetimes - and many are already suffering due to our short sightedness.

Let me sumerize my position with a metaphor. If you had an individual moved into a neighbourhood of thousands, and each day they went out with a shotgun and secretly shot one of their neighbours and stole their goods and money.  Each day the new neighbours house got a bit bigger and a bit grander such that everyone commented on how well they had done for themselves. However slowly over time the neighbours started to notice friends disappear from the neigbourhood and wondered why. A few suspected the new neighbour because of his suspicious accumulation of "wealth" and attempted to warn the remaining neighbours about the threat in their midst. Eventually all that was left was one massive house and a few scatterd shanty houses.
Do you think that the last few occupants of those shanty houses would think that the new neighbour was an asset to the neighbourhood or a blight.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius, 13 March 2013 - 10:14 AM.

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#140    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,697 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:51 PM

I've always thought that War was how humans mantained their supportable population levels. When a group grew to large for the area it was in, it would be forced to migrate, also called invade, neighboring areas. The neighbors, not usually willing to just hand over their own resources would defend themselves and a war erupts. It has been the way of humans since two tribes first met after leaving Africa.

Now that War is passe' and we're "Enlightened" the population is grew out of control. And so far the only thing that has worked is Not Having Kids. Which is also not natural for humans.

So, it would seem to me that a sign of overpopulation is humans not following their nature, so nations that are not growing are overpopulated. Otherwise they would still be growing....

What is needed (Regretfully) is a really big war. Or... we can just live with gradually decreasing Standards of Living worldwide and just get used to having less of everything.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#141    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:30 PM

View PostRender, on 13 March 2013 - 08:09 AM, said:

All what we have achieved is a waste of gift and intelligence according to you? Then you simply haven't opened your eyes yet.

You must be the one blinded.

All we have done is cause problems, we pay taxes to a privatley owned bank, we keep any cures for cancer and other major diseases hidden because they make too much money and we kill and destroy other species and the habitat... Oh an each other.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#142    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:32 PM

Same, but not it wouldn't be very nice if it affected loved ones. lol

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#143    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 4,515 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:51 PM

I'm not convinced you really feel this way.   I certainly do not.   I still care for my fellow human beings more than I do the planet.  That being said, I think we should be taking steps to lower the overall population through birth control and vasectomies.

#144    Finity

Finity

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:04 PM

Eventually nature will balance things out. It always does, it just takes time. Though it won't be anything good for us.

#145    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,697 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:19 PM

I'd rather all the people dying were WAY OVER THERE............ Maybe Europe.... They are very Progressive over there and might not especially mind dying to save the Earth.

Maybe set up a couple thousand Suicide Booths?? Should work especially well in nations with high unemployment. (Get a job or get out!)

Posted Image

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#146    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 4,515 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:32 PM

View PostFinity, on 13 March 2013 - 11:04 PM, said:

Eventually nature will balance things out. It always does, it just takes time. Though it won't be anything good for us.

Nature does not consciously do anything.    Of course the human race will end at some point in time.    Everything will.   Nature (as people think of it) will also die one day.  I find it humorous when people talk of nature getting back at us.   We should be looking at what we can do to preserve the earth as it is now without having to sacrifice (too much) the way of life that we want.

#147    bom shankra

bom shankra

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 73 posts

• people say I'm crazy (chapman/lennon)

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:00 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 13 March 2013 - 11:19 PM, said:

I'd rather all the people dying were WAY OVER THERE............ Maybe Europe.... They are very Progressive over there and might not especially mind dying to save the Earth.

I know its an old idea, but... 'Eat the rich", and kill two birds with one stone.

Whats happening here? I can't add URL links on my signature (to legal streeming music sites such as smithsonian folkways radio / adelaide community "3D radio - 5DDD") -  have I been disabled???, I did post a link to a bob dylan video on my 'profile feed' a few weeks ago that might have been dubious, it got deleted, by someone anyway, very sorry guys!!! But why did the legitimate links on my signature also get wiped? - and I say, I seem to be disabled now :td: .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users