Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Do you think " humans " are over populated?

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#46    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:04 AM

View PostRender, on 26 February 2013 - 09:44 PM, said:

Well, it is disconcerting when you refer to it as happy talk since it's very realistic. I'd say it's limited thinking to just dismiss the countless scientific developments that have been made to get to that point. Developments wont suddenly stop. The human imagination is the limit, surely the past couple of thousand years has proven this.

I would love to see cheap, abundant, pain-free meat from in vitro mass production. But right now it's not practical.

Anyways, we don't have thousands of years to solve exponential human population growth. Just ask these guys;

http://www.mysterium...extinction.html

#47    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,438 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

I'll just let Doug Stanhope set everyone straight on this issue:

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#48    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:59 PM

Plenty of physical room for a few more billion. But -  So, what condiment would you like on your soylent green?

#49    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,987 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

I live in one of the most densely populated countries, in one of the most densely populated cities.  Everywhere you go, even along the most back of the back roads, there are always people, and the cities are chock-a-block with apartments and condos and so on.

I think we could stand more room, but as a people we are healthy, well fed, we have a tremendous choice of foods to choose from (unlike most of the West), and perfectly as happy as anyone.

The point is the world could hold a lot more people.  World populations are leveling and will stabilize long before we reach a crisis.

#50    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,785 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

While things may improve and may level off and everything might be fine.... Going along HOPING for the best is.... a poor stratagy.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#51    Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:36 PM

At the end of the 19th Century there were about 1.1 Billion people.  At the end of the 20th Century there was close to 6.8 Billion humans.  The huge population boom of the 20th Century is directly attributable to oil.  It takes oil to grow food.  Lots and lots of it.  Oil is used in the production of fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides, diesel fuel for tractors, planters, harvestors, combines, trucks to haul product, etc.  

Oil is a limited commodity.  Regardless of whether is it produced by dead dinosaurs or through abiotic means it has taken the Earth billions of years to produce what is now available.  We have used up about 1/2 of the oil that was here in the last 130 years.   We are using it now at an ever increasing rate.   China and India are producing cars at a furious pace.

No other source of energy is as efficient at storing energy like Oil is.   Solar power is only available during certain times and it is spread out over a large area.  If you are going to depend on solar power to recharge your car you will have to wait a long time to get enough energy stored just to go to the grocery store.

Coal, natural gas, oil, even uranium for nuclear plants are all available in limited supply, or like my mom used to say when I was a kid, "when it's gone, it's gone."  I'm afraid when the oil is for all practical purposes "gone" .... .the party will be over.   I don't know when that it is.  It may be 40 years, it may be 100 years, but eventually it will happen.   There will always be a slow trickle but eventually the day will come when we have depleted the Earth's energy sources and the human population will have to adjust accordingly, either that or learn to eat dirt.

Art

#52    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,401 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:08 AM

I think we have already reached this planets capacity.  There are already people starving and going without clean water to drink which causes disease.  Many plants and animals are becoming extinct or are getting close to it.  There is only so much farm land and soil will wear out.  You can fertilize it to get the plants to grow but the nutrients aren't there like there use to be.  Without oil to run the farm machinery farming vast quantities of land won't be possible unless they come up with some other form of energy to do it with.  As oil becomes more expensive so will food.  The poor won't be able to buy as much as they need even the middle class will have problems.  At the population we have today the aquifers are becoming lower so I don't see how population growth can continue at the rate it has.

#53    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,785 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:05 AM

The US actually has coal and shale oil for several hundred more years, but when the rest of the world begins to demand it, we'll sell at the right price and then that will be gone too.

When it is gone it will be gone. Unless we invent a Star Trek matter reorganizer, we'll be out of luck within 200 years. Personnally, I plan to live almost that long, so I am not convinced with Pie-in-the-Sky hopeful wishes.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#54    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:18 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 27 February 2013 - 08:43 PM, said:

While things may improve and may level off and everything might be fine.... Going along HOPING for the best is.... a poor stratagy.

Which is why a myriad of efforts are being made from different fields in science, politics, and more .. as a strategy.

The world isn't just sitting by twidling its thumbs, cmon.

#55    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:19 AM

View PostHilander, on 28 February 2013 - 01:08 AM, said:

I think we have already reached this planets capacity.  There are already people starving and going without clean water to drink which causes disease.  Many plants and animals are becoming extinct or are getting close to it.

This has been the case since the dawn of man...even dinosaurs starved and got sick and ate plants and others until extinction.
So what? Humanity should've never existed? Is that your solution?

#56    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,987 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:59 AM

Predicting the future is chancy, and things will happen we never imagined.  Still, it seems to me we are best off putting our chips on the side that says humanity has a good future.  I think all the doomsters are too caught up in their navels and not looking at the real world

#57    Myles

Myles

Government Agent

• 4,234 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 28 February 2013 - 08:59 AM, said:

Predicting the future is chancy, and things will happen we never imagined.  Still, it seems to me we are best off putting our chips on the side that says humanity has a good future.  I think all the doomsters are too caught up in their navels and not looking at the real world
I think you are confusing people who beleive the planet is overpopulated with people who think we will all starve and die.  
I think humans will continue to live on.   I also beleive that there are more humans than the ideal number for the planet should be.

#58    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,987 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

View PostMyles, on 28 February 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

I also beleive that there are more humans than the ideal number for the planet should be.
Who knows what is the right population of humans.  In some ways there are probably too many of us, but in other ways the more the merrier -- consider the beings who are denied the chance to live when we control population, consider the Einsteins and Mozarts who will not be born.

Of course that argument applies to anything less than an infinite population.

#59    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,141 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

View PostMichelle, on 24 February 2013 - 05:15 AM, said:

The thing that infuriates me the most are people that preach about over population and yet they have kids. I can truthfully say I walk the walk and talk the talk. They will blame it on being young or having no control over a situation, but we all make consious choices. It's not like they weren't informed. I wouldn't believe anyone over the age of 14 if they said they didn't know what the consequences of having unprotected sex were.
I had my two children before I fully informed myself about the problem of overpopulation. It took another 10 years and a degree in environmental science to really grasp the magnitude of the problem. If I had my time over I would serious consider making a different choice. However the consequence would be that I would be married to another women since my wife would have in no way considered the option of been childless.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#60    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,987 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

Well my wife and I were not able to have children.  Back then was wartime and there were plenty of related orphans about so we raised a big family anyway.

I think raising children is the main force in most people's lives, and I feel for those who dismiss it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users