Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Kraken vs Giant Squid

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1    cryptidexpert100

cryptidexpert100

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:48 AM

Does anyone know if krakens are just giant squids because i know they have prven giant squids are real a long time back.

#2    Vaise

Vaise

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

• http://www.youtube.com/user/VaiseShepard/videos

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:53 AM

im not a expert but maybe early giant squid sightings may have become the basis for The Kraken. I beleive most Giant squid stay pretty deep. i found a interesting page about The Kraken maybe you would like to have a read?

http://www.unmuseum.org/kraken.htm

Posted Image

I’d rather trust and regret than doubt and regret:- Kirito

#3    musk

musk

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:44 AM

krakken or kakarot lol

#4    bluewalshy

bluewalshy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:20 AM

There is no hard evidence that the Kraken ever existed, only in fictional works. Most giant squid live in great depths and hardly ever appear near sea level, and most of these giant squid were probably even larger in size millions of years ago before evolution took place. I would like to believe the Kraken was once real, but there is poor evidence to prove this.

#5    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 7,833 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

View Postbluewalshy, on 27 February 2013 - 03:20 AM, said:

There is no hard evidence that the Kraken ever existed, only in fictional works. Most giant squid live in great depths and hardly ever appear near sea level, and most of these giant squid were probably even larger in size millions of years ago before evolution took place. I would like to believe the Kraken was once real, but there is poor evidence to prove this.
Disagree, there is no such thing as poor evidence, just we don't have the machines and equipment to go down those depths and look for them. I'd say there is but not many left

#6    Nathan DiYorio

Nathan DiYorio

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

• Bitter words with sweet flavor are poison just the same.

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

The problem is, you're going to find a certain group of people who won't accept that Krakens could have been giant squids until the scientists actually name something "Kraken." There's also another group that won't accept giant squids as Krakens because the reality of the giant squid doesn't line up exactly with the abilities and sizes Krakens have been portrayed as. These people create a pair of circular arguments which they continue to scream louder and louder until you finally leave a conversation. The arguments are as follows:

"Giant Squids are not Krakens because Krakens are not real."
"Giant Squids are not Krakens because Giant Squids are real."

They leave absolutely no room for "Krakens are giant squids depicted by uneducated men hundreds of years ago and spiced up for the sake of stories in the same way that we regularly spice up known living animals for our own fiction."

So is it possible that the Kraken was inspired by giant squids? Yes.
Is it possible that the Greek word for the animal we call a giant squid was "Kraken?" Yes.

Posted Image

#7    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sempere aude

• 2,568 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:08 PM

Are you sure that is a Greek word?

#8    Nathan DiYorio

Nathan DiYorio

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:15 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 27 February 2013 - 08:08 PM, said:

Are you sure that is a Greek word?

Nope, but the ethnicity of the word isn't really relevant to my point, which was that "Kraken" could be an archaic word for "Giant Squid."

Try grappling the meat of my point instead of the hangnails if you really want to make me wrong.

Posted Image

#9    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sempere aude

• 2,568 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

In German we say 'Kraken' for 'octopus'. I just checked the etymology, and it seems to have derived from ancient Norse, possibly meaning 'uprooted tree'.

And sorry, didn't want to sound like a smartass, but I was wondering because of the German meaning.

Edited by FLOMBIE, 27 February 2013 - 08:23 PM.

#10    Nathan DiYorio

Nathan DiYorio

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:42 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 27 February 2013 - 08:22 PM, said:

In German we say 'Kraken' for 'octopus'. I just checked the etymology, and it seems to have derived from ancient Norse, possibly meaning 'uprooted tree'.

And sorry, didn't want to sound like a smartass, but I was wondering because of the German meaning.

Oh, oh, I see now. You're simply interested in the origins of language.

I'm sorry for assuming you were being pedantic.

Posted Image

#11    Domina Lucis

Domina Lucis

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

• "I'm not dead, so I'm obviously doing something right."

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:29 PM

I used to think Giant Squids were responsible for Kraken sightings but I don't think Giant Squids go that close to the surface.

Maybe the sailors were just making up stories to delight the young kiddies and the ladies.

Posted Image

Domina Lucis

#12    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 7,833 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:56 AM

View PostMisstreeDove, on 27 February 2013 - 11:29 PM, said:

I used to think Giant Squids were responsible for Kraken sightings but I don't think Giant Squids go that close to the surface.

Maybe the sailors were just making up stories to delight the young kiddies and the ladies.
doubt it

#13    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

Coffee expert extraordinair

• 3,845 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

Well considering that the Kraken myth is from the nordic saga's, one would have to check how they describe it instead of going after the later description given. For once Wikipedia isn't totally useless, check this.

I think we go to quickly with the later squid-like description

Since the late 18th century, kraken have been depicted in a number of ways, primarily as large octopus-like creatures, and it has often been alleged that Pontoppidan's kraken might have been based on sailors' observations of the giant squid. In the earliest descriptions, however, the creatures were more crab-like than octopus-like, and generally possessed traits that are associated with large whales rather than with giant squid. Some traits of kraken resemble undersea volcanic activity occurring in the Iceland region, including bubbles of water; sudden, dangerous currents; and appearance of new islets.

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#14    PersonFromPorlock

PersonFromPorlock

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,274 posts

• Few things do more harm than the belief that life should be Dramatic.

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:52 PM

According to Wikipedia, Viking-era cargo ships ("Knaar") were not very big, about fifty-four feet long. So maybe a giant squid sighted dead on the surface was described as 'as long as the ship' and, as ships grew over time, so did the 'Kraken' in proportion.

#15    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:02 PM

Anybody see that thing on th discovery channel where they got actual footage of the giant squid?

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users