Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Kraken vs Giant Squid

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

Coffee expert extraordinair

• 3,845 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:36 AM

View PostPersonFromPorlock, on 07 March 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

According to Wikipedia, Viking-era cargo ships ("Knaar") were not very big, about fifty-four feet long. So maybe a giant squid sighted dead on the surface was described as 'as long as the ship' and, as ships grew over time, so did the 'Kraken' in proportion.

Rather good explanation as to why we think that the Kraken must be enormous.

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#17    Mr.United_Nations

Mr.United_Nations

hi

• 9,304 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:46 AM

View PostTheSearcher, on 08 March 2013 - 10:36 AM, said:

Rather good explanation as to why we think that the Kraken must be enormous.
a 54ft squid is pretty big

#18    justcalmebubba

justcalmebubba

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 229 posts

• there are many things that bump along in the nite but there are sum of us that bump back

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:50 PM

myths and folklore  has its many faults of being twisted and retold to fit the situlation but in truth  all stories had to start some place real or unreal  kinda  like ufo's hell theres old old old old old old old paintings  down  that has what could be thought of  ufo's in them  so whos to say whats true and whats not

#19    zillarancher

zillarancher

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:44 PM

It's always made sense to me that the Kraken myths came about due to some chance sighting of a giant squid. Sure, they rarely visit the surface of the ocean, but what's to say that they have never done that. It's not hard to fathom that an uneducated Norseman seeing something like that while out on some boating event (exploring, fishing, what have you) would construe it as a sea monster of great proportions. Hell, the reality is that a giant squid does have great proportions. Once the local watering hole gets hold of a story like that, then it's no holds bar for the lengths human imagination would go with it.

#20    Setton

Setton

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:16 AM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 08 March 2013 - 10:46 AM, said:

a 54ft squid is pretty big

Upper estimate is 43 ft. If you saw something only 10 feet shorter than the ship, you'd still describe it as 'as long as the ship'.

I love how a few years ago, nobody had heard of a kraken. Pirates of the Caribbean comes out and suddenly everyone's convinced they're real. Sorry but neither are the walking skeleton pirates :rolleyes:

'Good' is not the same as 'nice'.
'No, murder is running your broadsword through someone because he worships a different God to you... Or is that evangelism? I get confused.'
When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed - They are not it.
I don't object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

#21    zillarancher

zillarancher

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:01 AM

Huh, I always forget about the PIrates movies (wasn't a fan).

When I think Kraken, I think Clash of the Titans, as a modern example.

"Release the Kraken!"

#22    SameerPrehistorica

SameerPrehistorica

Paranormal Investigator

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:17 AM

Kraken is a fictional creature.May be there was some giant squids very large existed millions of years ago.But there is no way they can be bigger than a big Dinosaur.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users