Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Inequality in schools threatens US prosperity

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#16    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:27 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 26 February 2013 - 03:13 AM, said:

It strikes me that those schools that are excelling, are now going to have to plan how to excel less and move more toward equitibility. The best need to do worse, so the worst will not feel so bad. Bring down those that succeed so those who are failing can fail a little less.

This is what America has become.Notice now days in schools they give trophies to to everyone not just the winner,not just 1-3 place but to everyone.Sorry but if you finished outside of the top 3 in any event you are not equal to the people who finished before you hurt feelings or not.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#17    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:27 AM

are you for stupid adults then? I DARE you to tell me what you think the Dept of Ed does.

Federal Goverment controlled programs are a huge problem. I think the poster was expressing their opinion about this. But yeah we got the extra money to spare so lets keep pouring into something that yet again isnt working. States should be in control of there school systems not the Federal Government.

#18    hatecraft

hatecraft

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:15 AM

The federal government has no business in education.  Common currency...common defense...those are really the only reasons to have a federal government.

#19    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,262 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:19 AM

View Posthatecraft, on 26 February 2013 - 06:15 AM, said:

The federal government has no business in education.  Common currency...common defense...those are really the only reasons to have a federal government.

And an elected Judicial system.

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#20    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,262 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:20 AM

BUT that's it.

#21    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,262 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:27 AM

And the judges would be realitivized... put on TV..... their very existence would be subject to public viewing 24/7.  They are the last stand against tyranny and should be protected at all costs. We have the technology.. let's use it on OUR elected officials.  This is how business should be done when using tax dollars to fund the operation for everybody.

#22    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:52 AM

Easiest fix would be to treat problem areas in to basically Job Corps. Where you get paid depending on an individuals success. Which is gasp a federal program and works very well for that problem demographic. I'd take money out of the defense budget to pay for it =D

You get fed housed and taught then rewarded for your success. If you screw up you are out. Most often prison because let's face it most of the students who went there were basically one step away from prison already. It could easily be reworked for a k - 12 program for lower income areas.

Edited by Jinxdom, 26 February 2013 - 07:59 AM.

#23    hatecraft

hatecraft

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

The defense budget is one of the few legitimate expenditures for federal tax dollars.

#24    J. K.

J. K.

Psychic Spy

• 1,317 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 26 February 2013 - 03:13 AM, said:

So, once schools are funded equitably, how do they plan to get average, or better then average teachers to teach at total Crap schools? Pay them more? But, is that then equitable? Bad schools will remain bad schools till something is done to fix the Student's culture. If you have a school full of uncaring gangsters, they are not going to be educated by throwing twice as much money at the teachers and handing out computers.

Exactly.  We call the children who attend school "students" and "learners."  What are the verbs in those words?  Study and learn.  If a student doesn't care about learning, they're not going to put forth any effort, regardless of how well-trained the teacher is.  The girls are addicted to social media on their cell phones, and the boys are addicted to violent video games.  Sure, those are generalizations, and not every student fits that description.

DieChecker is right:  "till something is done to fix the Student's culture."

Parents:  your daughter doesn't need to have a cell phone at school.  If you need to get a message to her, call the school office. Try monitoring your son when he plays Call of Duty and listen to his excitement when he blows someone's head off.

Yes, I am passionate on this issue.  I see these kids come through my classroom headed at full speed toward a brick wall.  They have no understanding of the consequences of their actions.  It breaks my heart to see them indulge in self-destructive behavior.  

Some of the parents are no better.  One year one girl's mother withdrew her daughter from school at noon, just to have her hair fixed for her birthday party that night!  What did that tell the girl about school?

Edited by J. K., 26 February 2013 - 02:26 PM.

One's reality is another's nightmare.

#25    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

Government Agent

• 3,357 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

View PostRafterman, on 25 February 2013 - 11:42 PM, said:

Simple, raise taxes on the richer districts and funnel the funds to the poorer districts.

That's what Obama and the liberals want anyway.  So just do it.

But here's the secret, pour in all of that money and guess what - we'll still have crap schools in those districts.

Money isn't the answer.

My husband is a liberal and that is the last thing he would want, so you can keep that inflammatory nonsense out of the dicussion.  Though I do agree that money is not the answer and what do you know, so does he.

#26    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,550 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:41 PM

It's a shame parenting can't be regulated and qualified in such ways. In my opinion, the #1 problem with the educational system is a whole bunch of parents who don't care enough to instill an interest or respect for learning in their children.

I began homeschooling my boys with nothing but a free library card - no fancy building, no computer, no curriculum, no "materials" other than dollar store pencils and paper. And they both - even the one with moderate autism - could read, write, count and do addition before they were 6. And their self esteem is fine, despite the fact that they never got a blue ribbon or plastic gold cup for anything.

Unfortunately, it seems impossible to make people actually care enough to act on it.

Edited by Purplos, 26 February 2013 - 05:43 PM.

Embrace the impossible.

#27    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Is not a number!

• 9,362 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:52 PM

Once everything is equal, the way you get good teachers into rubbish schools is to follow the Australian system.
You work for the Department. Not the school. You go where the Department says or you don't work. Voila. You get sent to a seven person, 12 sheep school, you get sent to the school Satan withdrew his children from because it was too rough, you get sent to the school too good for the saints.
It's all at the whim of pencil pushing, number crunching soulless automatons with a spreadsheet ahem the Department.

#28    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 10,914 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:16 AM

View PostAsteroidX, on 26 February 2013 - 03:27 AM, said:

Federal Goverment controlled programs are a huge problem. I think the poster was expressing their opinion about this. But yeah we got the extra money to spare so lets keep pouring into something that yet again isnt working. States should be in control of there school systems not the Federal Government.

The local school boards control their school systems already. This is a red herring. The Dept of Ed provides loans for college students and promotes education and education standards. As usual, not knowing that the US Dept of Ed does. Stop parroting the conservative babble and actually learn what it does. A lot of people would not go to college without it. The real question is why are you for against these things?!

It is by far the smallest Cabinet-level department

The primary functions of the Department of Education are to "establish policy for, administer and coordinate most federal assistance to education, collect data on US schools, and to enforce federal educational laws regarding privacy and civil rights."[10] The Department of Education does not establish schools or colleges.[11]
The Office of the Inspector General has a unit of enforcement agents who conduct investigations and raids in connection to student loan defaults and fraud.[12
https://en.wikipedia...nt_of_Education

Edited by ninjadude, 27 February 2013 - 03:16 AM.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#29    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 10,914 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:18 AM

View Posthatecraft, on 26 February 2013 - 06:15 AM, said:

I'm really sorry but the people of the United States of America disagree and have done so for many many decades.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#30    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Psychic Spy

• 1,802 posts

• Mysteries are tomorrow's history.

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:01 AM

Let's do an experiment. List the test scores of the least-funded school and the most-funded school in the USA. You might be surprised by the results. Maybe money isn't the answer to the problem.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users