Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

BP set for trial over Gulf oil spill

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

BP is set to begin a civil trial over the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill that became the US's worst environmental disaster.
The UK oil giant will be pitted against the US states that were affected by the spill and the Department of Justice. It faces the biggest civil fine in history.
It comes after BP agreed in November to pay $4.5bn (£2.9bn) to settle criminal charges relating to the spill.
The trial is to be held in New Orleans.
The trial will determine the causes of the spill, and assign responsibility to the parties involved, including BP, contractor Halliburton, rig operator Transocean, and Cameron, which manufactured the blowout preventer meant to stop oil leaks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-21548117

#2    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,208 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:07 AM

they'll be told "you couldn't have known" and then be told to pay for the cleanup.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#3    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 13,798 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

Safety contractors had warned that the disaster was an inevitability given the techniques they were using and the lack of attention to detail. These reports were buried by BP, but the authorities must have been well aware that they were playing with fire. The prospects of been able to open up all of those impossible to reach continental shelf deposits must have been to tempting for everyone to think about the consequences in an serious way.

The only good thing that can possibly come out of this is if the industry finally realises that these deep water deposits are not technically possible to extract. However, I suspect the temptations will be far to great to resist in the long run.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#4    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,094 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:23 AM

BP 'put profits over safety'

BP has been accused of putting profits before safety on the first day of a trial in New Orleans over liability for the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-21548117

#5    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• 1,144 posts
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

The UK oil giant will be pitted against the US states that were affected by the spill and the Department of Justice. It faces the biggest civil fine in history.

BP is 40% British-owned, 39% American owned and its boss is a Swede.  BP doesn't even stand for "British Petroleum" anymore since it merged with American oil company AMOCO

It's hardly a "UK company".

The Americans, when referring to that oil spill, just like to keep referring to it as a "British company" to pin all the blame for it on foreigners.  The number of times that American newsreaders and American internet users at the time of the oil spill who called it "a British company" was just infurtiating.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun, 26 February 2013 - 02:36 PM.

#6    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• 1,905 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

I doubt they will get any serious repercussions... of they'll be given a large fine for the clean-up. But then they will protest and it wll be in courts for decades with no clear resolution...

#7    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,508 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

The fine will be around 10 million bucks. My prediction. Or an out of court settlement with us never knowing.

Edited by The Silver Thong, 26 February 2013 - 05:02 PM.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#8    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 26 February 2013 - 02:34 PM, said:

BP is 40% British-owned, 39% American owned and its boss is a Swede.  BP doesn't even stand for "British Petroleum" anymore since it merged with American oil company AMOCO

It's hardly a "UK company".

The Americans, when referring to that oil spill, just like to keep referring to it as a "British company" to pin all the blame for it on foreigners.  The number of times that American newsreaders and American internet users at the time of the oil spill who called it "a British company" was just infurtiating.

Beyond Petroleum..... I really don't get that... lol

I mean what does it mean really.... If they still centre their business around oil, then they are not beyond it are they? lol

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#9    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 15,248 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:11 AM

View PostCoffey, on 26 February 2013 - 09:33 PM, said:

Beyond Petroleum..... I really don't get that... lol

I mean what does it mean really.... If they still centre their business around oil, then they are not beyond it are they? lol
That's a good question Coffey but I think what it means is, their corporate mission is going to be open to alternatives to petroleum in the future which is going to be a necessity for their long term survival so it just makes sense and they openly marketed themselves that way earlier than the other majors in the oil industry.   Global growth in petroleum consumption isn't going to last.  Asia will adjust the curve and delay the inevitable but consumption has already plateaued in the US and hopefully that trend will be permanent.

BP to their credit has sunk billions into alternative energy projects going back to 2005.  Alternatives won't dominate their portfolio overnight, but the allocation is shifting to alternatives from what was once a pure petroleum play.  

http://articles.mark...rgy-wind-energy

BP should pay a huge price for their mistake in the Gulf but I have to admit, their efforts could have been a lot worse.  I'm not a fan of oil companies by any stretch of the imagination, but plenty of other players like Exxon-Mobil, Chevron-Texaco, Transocean, Marathon Oil, Noble Corporation, etc. deserve at least as much contempt as BP does.

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#10    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,094 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:52 AM

BP 'egregious' for drilling Macondo oil spill well

BP has been accused of disregarding evidence during drilling that the Macondo oil well was unstable.

BP accepts partial responsibility for the oil spill, but claims other firms at the trial share the blame and costs.
These include Transocean, the operator of the Deepwater Horizon rig being used, and Halliburton, who provided cement for lining the Macondo well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-21609888

Edited by Render, 28 February 2013 - 07:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users