Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

why, you can't change history.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,539 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

(This might be better in another thread.)

The main reason you can't change history is tht history is self correcting.

What I mean is you back in time and kill Hitler before WW2.  The next time through you wouldn't know you had to back and kill him.

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you. http://fremerica.freeforums.net/

#2    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,580 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

Then he survives thereby causing your desire to kill him.

The biggest problem is time machines don't exist.

#3    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 6,819 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

Hollywood does it all the time ... 'least that is what I hear ...

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#4    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,539 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

True , and in the star trek movies Kirks glasses were never made.  Yet, they exist.

There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you. http://fremerica.freeforums.net/

#5    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,544 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

Heinlein wrote a short story, I think the title was, "By his bootstraps" about a man who goes into the future and there is given a guide-book on how to get on in this future, along with a dictionary of their language.

Later he writes out a copy of that guide-book and ends up, as an old man, giving the copy of the guide-book that he had made to himself as a young man.  So it turns out that the guide-book was never actually authored -- only copied from itself in a sort-of endless loop.

#6    maxhobbs

maxhobbs

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

Well, you can't change history because, by definition, history is something that has already happened.

But if you trying to say you can't AVOID making the same mistakes that were made in the past, yes, you can avoid this.

But, people/governments seem to do the same things over and over.  It isn't necessary, but it can be avoided.

#7    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,539 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

View Postmaxhobbs, on 25 February 2013 - 02:33 PM, said:

Well, you can't change history because, by definition, history is something that has already happened.

But if you trying to say you can't AVOID making the same mistakes that were made in the past, yes, you can avoid this.

But, people/governments seem to do the same things over and over.  It isn't necessary, but it can be avoided.

No, I was being litteral(spch).

#8    MainerMikeBrown

MainerMikeBrown

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

All we can do as a human race is learn from the past mistakes we made in history.  That's why they teach history in elementary and high school in America.

#9    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 3,505 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:29 AM

In my blog I wrote a little story about scientists using a time machine to change the past to create a better present. "The Schmaltzenberger Equation Project". Not much of a story as usual, and I'm not sure how the Project turned out.

Maybe changing the past in this way would create a new timeline so there wouldn't be any paradoxes.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

#10    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,544 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:57 AM

View PostMainerMikeBrown, on 03 March 2013 - 09:35 PM, said:

All we can do as a human race is learn from the past mistakes we made in history.  That's why they teach history in elementary and high school in America.
I suspect that the "lessons" we learn from history in those grades is mostly the "lessons" the pedagogues think we should learn, and not what history really tells us.

#11    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,544 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:00 AM

View PostStarMountainKid, on 04 March 2013 - 08:29 AM, said:

Maybe changing the past in this way would create a new timeline so there wouldn't be any paradoxes.
That's a common way of dealing with them.  Another way is to say that after you are done messing with the past events take over and rearrange things back to the way they were supposed to be.

If traveling into the past is possible, why aren't we pestered by our posterity coming back to gawk at us as tourists?

#12    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,539 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 04 March 2013 - 11:00 AM, said:

That's a common way of dealing with them.  Another way is to say that after you are done messing with the past events take over and rearrange things back to the way they were supposed to be.

If traveling into the past is possible, why aren't we pestered by our posterity coming back to gawk at us as tourists?

Maybe they have.  (God, aliens, bigfoot)

#13    krypter3

krypter3

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

• My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. A.A Milne

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

My friend, a wise man once...people assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

And lets just leave it at that =T

#14    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:08 PM

As has already been said history is changed all the time.Find a history book from the early 1900's then one with the same basic tale of characters in it from a high school today.I guarantee you may be astonished by the changes to facts that has been made.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#15    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,544 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

Quite true.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users