Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

DHS-Funded Drone Spies On Private Gun Sale

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#16    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,490 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

Will it be able to tell if the car is stolen, if the guys are currently wanted, if they are illegal immigrants? just was wondering if it could find them selling illegal guns then they must be on to them anyway?

Just want to know (not living In America) is that how the illegal gun trades take place then? out in the open? cos if it is, i would imagine they will not be doing it so openly in future after seeing this?

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#17    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,905 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 26 February 2013 - 05:20 AM, said:

Cool UAV. I look forward to them being used to avert/prevent/fight crime.

This video looks Super Staged. What is the range on this little helicopter? Or, did it just happen to be hovering over a empty abandoned field and fortuitously filmed two guys selling each other guns? Just the actions of these guys would be enough to provide cause to see what they were up to. If they did nothing wrong, then nothing happens. No crime, no time.

I'd rather that the Law followed two legally selling guys and watched them, then that even one in a hundred which was arming terrorists went down. The loss of privacy is a price I am willing to pay.... Just my own personnal opinon. If two guys want to sell guns to each other, perhaps they should meet at a gun store, or a private residence??

Arming terrorists? The US government is the only one on our side of the pond that arms terrorist. And they dont even charge them. Its paid for by the US tax payer. And that is who you want to hold this power?

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#18    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,905 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 26 February 2013 - 03:51 PM, said:

Will it be able to tell if the car is stolen, if the guys are currently wanted, if they are illegal immigrants? just was wondering if it could find them selling illegal guns then they must be on to them anyway?

Just want to know (not living In America) is that how the illegal gun trades take place then? out in the open? cos if it is, i would imagine they will not be doing it so openly in future after seeing this?

Yep, and if they are illegals, the drone instantly drops 500 bucks worth of food stamps.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#19    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,413 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

]You people once again for the most part ignored that this is a promo sales video,and totaly missed the point.  On this promotional video, two men engaging in a perfectly legal activity were portrayed as criminals or terrorists.  Don't you see how these type of things are brain washing people into believing that regular law abiding citizens should be under constant suspicion and scrutiny?  People are stupid.  READ THE DAMNED ARTICLE BEFORE MAKING IGNORANT COMMENTS FOR ONCE.

Edited by OverSword, 26 February 2013 - 04:45 PM.

#20    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,951 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

Infowars is hardly a creditable source on these kinds of stories. Has anyone else picked up on this story and offered alternative explainations or is this just more fear mongering?

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#21    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,413 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

View PostCorp, on 26 February 2013 - 04:49 PM, said:

Infowars is hardly a creditable source on these kinds of stories. Has anyone else picked up on this story and offered alternative explainations or is this just more fear mongering?
So you deny this is a promotional sales video made by the manufacturer???  Read the article before commenting??  No???

#22    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,951 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

I'm saying that Infowars is designed to make people terrified of authority figures and wants to convince people that the government is ploting to slaughter them all. So they'll take a story and twist it around so that they can put it in the worst possible light and scare as many people as possible. They've shown time and time again that they are massively bias and thus are a poor source when it comes to anything related to the US government, especially when it comes to gun owners. I'm sure there some element of truth to what they are presenting but I'd like additional information so that I can draw my own conclusions instead of just accepting what Infowars wants me to believe.

Edited by Corp, 26 February 2013 - 05:05 PM.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#23    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,862 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

View PostOverSword, on 26 February 2013 - 04:55 PM, said:

So you deny this is a promotional sales video made by the manufacturer???  Read the article before commenting??  No???

The manufacturer can make any video he wants, no? Or are you proposing "dictating" to them what they are and arent allowed to put in their videos?

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#24    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,413 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

View PostStellar, on 26 February 2013 - 06:00 PM, said:

The manufacturer can make any video he wants, no? Or are you proposing "dictating" to them what they are and arent allowed to put in their videos?
Not at all but companies that sell products target the consumer by showing them images that speak to them, so this type of imagery (legal activity being portrayed as ilegal) shows us how law enforcement and state, city, and county, officials are being taught to view people.  You can deny my statement if you like but anyone who has ever taken an advertising arts class knows how this works.  If commercials weren't effective they wouldn't pay 3 million for 30 seconds during the superbowl.

Edited by OverSword, 26 February 2013 - 06:53 PM.

#25    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,661 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 26 February 2013 - 08:00 AM, said:

No need for the commie rhetoric here. You guys were happy giving up your guns and selling your resources to China. Perhaps worrying about your own country would suit you better.
I thought it was the Capitalists who sold everything to China? Is selling stuff wrong? Does there need to be a Big Brother to tell US citizen buisnessmen who they can sell too?

View Posthatecraft, on 26 February 2013 - 02:20 PM, said:

I guess you'd be ok with having a drone follow you around all day then?  I mean, you might break some sort of law so the feds will just keep a constant eye on you just in case.
I would... willl.... be OK with a drone following me. The only crimes I commit are eating badly and going 40 in a 35. It would be a horrendous waste of time and money to follow me, and I think that the FedGov would recognize that and deploy drones only where there is probable cause.

View Postpreacherman76, on 26 February 2013 - 04:01 PM, said:

And that is who you want to hold this power?
Yep. Who would you have holding the power to operate drone? Private Industry security firms???

You'd rather put the Genie back in the Bottle?

View PostOverSword, on 26 February 2013 - 04:43 PM, said:

You people once again for the most part ignored that this is a promo sales video,and totaly missed the point.  On this promotional video, two men engaging in a perfectly legal activity were portrayed as criminals or terrorists.  Don't you see how these type of things are brain washing people into believing that regular law abiding citizens should be under constant suspicion and scrutiny?  People are stupid.  READ THE DAMNED ARTICLE BEFORE MAKING IGNORANT COMMENTS FOR ONCE.
So your problem is not with the Drone, but with the example they used to portray the drone's abilities? You're seeing anti-gun bias in their use of a Legal gun sale being portrayed as needing watching?

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#26    Drayno

Drayno

Draynor's Finest

• 3,704 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

View PostMichaelW, on 26 February 2013 - 04:48 AM, said:

This thread is a joke and anyone that believes anything on Infowars is a clown.

Not even going to dignify this.

"Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings."
- William Shakespeare, Richard II, Act III, Scene II

#27    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,413 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 26 February 2013 - 07:17 PM, said:

I thought it was the Capitalists who sold everything to China? Is selling stuff wrong? Does there need to be a Big Brother to tell US citizen buisnessmen who they can sell too?

So your problem is not with the Drone, but with the example they used to portray the drone's abilities? You're seeing anti-gun bias in their use of a Legal gun sale being portrayed as needing watching?
For the first part, try to sell something to Cuba and see what happens, and to the second part.....yes.  Just read post #24 to see why.   Call me paraniod if you want, but just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not watching you.

I think it's a little disgusting that people aren't against a government literally trillions of dollars in debt wasting money to keep such a close eye on our activities.  Every politician should have ten of these above them at all times to be fair.

#28    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,523 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

View Postpreacherman76, on 26 February 2013 - 04:01 PM, said:

Arming terrorists? The US government is the only one on our side of the pond that arms terrorist. And they dont even charge them. Its paid for by the US tax payer. And that is who you want to hold this power?

Good heavens, our US department of JustUs even "lets the guns walk" across the southern border.  :whistle:

#29    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,661 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

View PostOverSword, on 26 February 2013 - 07:25 PM, said:

For the first part, try to sell something to Cuba and see what happens, and to the second part.....yes.  Just read post #24 to see why.   Call me paraniod if you want, but just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not watching you.

I think it's a little disgusting that people aren't against a government literally trillions of dollars in debt wasting money to keep such a close eye on our activities.  Every politician should have ten of these above them at all times to be fair.
Depends on if it is wasted. I think that having our soldiers over in Afghanistan trying to bring order to people who don't want it, and hate us, is wasting our money. I don't think that using devices that can catch twice as many criminals, or track them more cheaply then an airplane or helicopter, or which can identify/prevent illegal border crossing.... all without risking human life, is a waste of money.

Just show me where these drones have been used by the Federal Government to spy on unsuspecting innocent civilians for no reason, and I'll 100% back getting rid of them. There are many, many things that Could be used to violate privacy, but unless those things are shown to violate privacy without reason, then it is just a bunch of "What Ifs". What if the government used our phones to track us constantly, in real time. What if the government was monitoring what we watch on TV. What if the government monitored all your email and saved it. What if the government used static cameras to watch everyone everyday? Surely the government can do any of these things. But, do they? How much of the time is Mr DieChecker's email read, or his actions monitored, or what he watches on the internet, or TV, monitored? Even if the answer is 100% of the time, I go no where I should not be, I don't watch anything I should not watch, I don't email or make phone calls about stuff that is of national security.... so I just would not care. But, if even 1 terrorist event that would have killed dozens is prevented, I consider that worthwhile.

Question: Is there some reason that the government SHOULD be watching you? Just a Yes or No is OK. If No, then why worry about them watching you? Do you think they are going to blackmail you with some mildly embarrising action/situation?

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#30    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,413 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 26 February 2013 - 07:51 PM, said:

Question: Is there some reason that the government SHOULD be watching you? Just a Yes or No is OK. If No, then why worry about them watching you? Do you think they are going to blackmail you with some mildly embarrising action/situation?
No. but like I asked before, don't you see a problem with a government multiple trillions of dollars in debt spending money on this type of thing? Keep in mind that the only large ilegal weapon shipment across our southern border was in fact perpetrated by the DOJ and resulted in the death of an American border patrol. A man whos life I'm sure his family felt was priceless.

Also since you didn't seem to get it the first few times, I don't like the imagery of Americans engaged in LEGAL activities being portrayed as ilegal.  I know this company is not specifically a government agency but being MIL-SPEC certified they are closely associated with government agencies located in the pentagon so obviously know how to correcty target thier buyers through compelling advertisements/ ie showing them what they want to see.  Advertising 101.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users