Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Russia meteor's origin tracked down

asteroids meteors chelyabinsk apollo asteroids

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,221 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

Russia meteor's origin tracked down

www.bbc.co.uk said:

Astronomers have traced the origin of a meteor that injured about 1,000 people after breaking up over central Russia earlier this month.

Using amateur video footage, they were able to plot the meteor's trajectory through Earth's atmosphere and then reconstruct its orbit around the Sun.

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 19,262 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

Wow, that's impressive:

Dr Stephen Lowry, from the University of Kent, said the team had done well to publish so quickly.
"It certainly looks like it was a member of the Apollo class of asteroids," he told BBC News.
"Its elliptical, low inclination orbit, indicates a solar system origin, most likely from the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter.
Dr Lowry added: "Perhaps with more data, we can determine roughly where in the asteroid belt it come from."

Talk about good forensics.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#3    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

You know I have about a dozen bookmarks for science news sources; I don't need them any more.  I just follow here.

#4    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,221 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

ScienceCasts: What Exploded Over Russia?

Two weeks after an asteroid exploded over Russia's Ural mountains, scientists are making progress understanding the origin and make-up of the unexpected space rock. This week's ScienceCast presents their latest results.

Credit: NASA

Source: NASAtelevision - YouTube Channel

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users