Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

why is homophobia commonplace?

• Please log in to reply
415 replies to this topic

#1    ali smack

ali smack

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

• If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:58 PM

Why is homophobia so commonplace?
Why in our society is homosexuality hated and frowned upon. The same with Bisexuality regarding men.
But lesbianism and Bisexuality regarding women is thought as fine.
Anyone know why this is the case?

#2    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

Homophobia doesn't exist. They're not 'scared' of a gay person. They're just a d-bag.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#3    Iron_Lotus

Iron_Lotus

Happy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,831 posts

• I'll scream for you in whispers, because I always hated being too loud.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

View PostHasina, on 26 February 2013 - 06:03 PM, said:

Homophobia doesn't exist. They're not 'scared' of a gay person. They're just a d-bag.

this, this, and a dash of this.

"When life has you on the ropes, you check if it's hemp ropes. Then maybe you can smoke it and watch anime."

#4    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,902 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

POPULAR

The meaning of the term 'homophobia' (A fear or loathing of homosexuality) has been deliberately blurred to include those who merely disapprove of homosexuality, in a deliberate attempt to shame the latter into abandoning their disapproval. (Discredit the person to discredit their argument).

I don't hate or fear homosexuals - I don't disapprove of them as persons -  I do however, dislike this constant "Look at me me me - I'm a victim" mentality and the clamour for preferential treatment that is constantly being shoved in our faces via the media etc.

(And if that makes me a 'd-bag' because I have an opinion that differs from those more 'trendy' than I, then so be it).

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#5    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,254 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

My opinion is who cares.  I have seen some sexy guys in drag that I would totaly be into, pardon the pun lol

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#6    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,025 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:21 PM

View Postealdwita, on 26 February 2013 - 06:29 PM, said:

The meaning of the term 'homophobia' (A fear or loathing of homosexuality) has been deliberately blurred to include those who merely disapprove of homosexuality, in a deliberate attempt to shame the latter into abandoning their disapproval. (Discredit the person to discredit their argument).

Annoying isn't it? I don't have a problem with homosexuality at all, but I'm not going to condemn you for how you feel.

#7    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,554 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

Homophobia is common because it is encouraged in so many ways.  Perhaps the biggest is our much  vaunted Judeo Christian Heritage.  Mostly if not completely, various passages in the bible condemn it.  They preach tolerance but practice the opposite.

But also some other cultures and religions criticize it.  I assume the Koran does.  Don't know about the Indian culture, but I think they are quite down on it.

#8    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

View Postealdwita, on 26 February 2013 - 06:29 PM, said:

I don't hate or fear homosexuals - I don't disapprove of them as persons -  I do however, dislike this constant "Look at me me me - I'm a victim" mentality and the clamour for preferential treatment that is constantly being shoved in our faces via the media etc.

(And if that makes me a 'd-bag' because I have an opinion that differs from those more 'trendy' than I, then so be it).
There's the difference though, you find the annoying ones annoying, the ones who aren't? They're fine. The people trendy Lil'me have a problem with are the ones who have a problem with homosexuals for just being homosexual at all, no matter the way they express it.

If you don't like your own gender, don't get involved with someone of the same gender. Simple. There's no reason to disapprove of what others do with their sexuality.

Edited by Hasina, 26 February 2013 - 07:34 PM.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#9    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 1,604 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

I do not discriminate i hate everyone equally.Even if they look like me,walk like me and talk like me if i do not like them i do not like them and no matter what anyone else thinks about it no amount of name calling or badgering me will change my mind :tu:

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#10    euroninja

euroninja

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

• John 14:16
    Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the father, but by me.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 26 February 2013 - 07:26 PM, said:

Homophobia is common because it is encouraged in so many ways.  Perhaps the biggest is our much  vaunted Judeo Christian Heritage.  Mostly if not completely, various passages in the bible condemn it.  They preach tolerance but practice the opposite.

But also some other cultures and religions criticize it.  I assume the Koran does.  Don't know about the Indian culture, but I think they are quite down on it.
I'm not Jewish OT but I'm a Christian because I believe in Christ as my savior. Jesus never said anything about gays. Paul did but he's not Jesus.

Man plans and God laughs.

#11    euroninja

euroninja

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the father, but by me.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

Deuteronomy 4:2 Posted Image
New International Version (©1984)
Do not add to what I command you and do not subtract from it, but keep the commands of the LORD your God that I give you.

Someone is answering to the Lord. Could it be Paul? He had an affliction while he was alive..............................................

Edited by euroninja, 26 February 2013 - 09:37 PM.

#12    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:47 PM

I believe it's simply about feeling threatened about your sexuality. Men especially "suffer" from this since society has always taught them what a man should be, and they base their personalities on that. Whether conscious of it or not.
When confronted with homosexuality they suddenly see that men can act differently so they are confronted with immediate doubt about what it means to be a man. What is masculinity?

That fear results into a projection of hate or disgust onto the homosexual.

With women there is less of this because women can act all feminine around each other and it seems like harmless fun. But if a women dares to act to masculine she will be frowned upon as well by some.

Edited by Render, 26 February 2013 - 09:49 PM.

#13    euroninja

euroninja

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:58 PM

View Postali smack, on 26 February 2013 - 05:58 PM, said:

Why is homophobia so commonplace?
Why in our society is homosexuality hated and frowned upon. The same with Bisexuality regarding men.
But lesbianism and Bisexuality regarding women is thought as fine.
Anyone know why this is the case?
Society or culture is a form of brainwashing. Lesbianism is not as frowned upon because of the male chauvanist agenda. It's a fantasy come true for many guys to be in bed with.............................

#14    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

View Posteuroninja, on 26 February 2013 - 09:58 PM, said:

Society or culture is a form of brainwashing. Lesbianism is not as frowned upon because of the male chauvanist agenda. It's a fantasy come true for many guys to be in bed with.............................

Yup, because society has taught that women are not to be taken seriously. If they to lesbian, it's just an extra challenge for men. All they wanna do is throw pillows at each other in their undies.

But men, oh my ... if they are gay ... that's serious business. Real men wouldn't be persuaded by the devil to switch teams. So if you dare be gay you are weak, and if one guy could be gay.. then who's to say another man won't go through those feelings..and feelings are gay. So best thing is to frown upon it preventively.

If women dare to be lesbian they're just doing it to tease men.

Ahum.

#15    ali smack

ali smack

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

• If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

I think the worst kind of homophobic people are ones that are gay themselves but pretend to not be gay.
I don't have a problem with homosexuals or bisexuals. It's not something that interests me but I have nothing against it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users