Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * - - - 3 votes

why do people believe dinosaurs exist

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#61    AbyssWalker

AbyssWalker

I'm not a Mutant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:03 AM

View Postissues, on 24 June 2013 - 02:46 AM, said:

Coelacanth springs to mind quite readily

What about "Earth is round now, it was thought to be flat"?

There's many differences between a prehistoric fish that was thought to be extinct being discovered, and a living breathing dinosaur...

Edited by Space_Jockey, 24 June 2013 - 04:04 AM.

#62    AbyssWalker

AbyssWalker

I'm not a Mutant.

• 1,731 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:23 AM

Here's my two cents

There are two kinds of people who believe in dinosaurs

1. People who believe dinosaurs still exist today are people whose lives depend on believing and fearing strong superstitions and legends. I'm talking about people who hunt in the forests, and fish in the seas, risking lives everyday for livelihood. When people die during their daily routines, myths may be built around their deaths.  

2. They're not fascinated enough by creatures that are alive today, and would like to believe dinosaurs and other giant creatures from the past are real, and keep believing "what if?".. (Obviously ignoring the huge alligators and fish still out there).

There used to be a guy in the forum that defended the existence of dragons! His reasoning was pretty creative.

#63    issues

issues

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:48 AM

View PostSpace_Jockey, on 24 June 2013 - 04:03 AM, said:

What about "Earth is round now, it was thought to be flat"?

There's many differences between a prehistoric fish that was thought to be extinct being discovered, and a living breathing dinosaur...
Pretty sure there was a bloke back in the day that proved the Earth was round but the Religious Majority said NO!

#64    Clobhair-cean

Clobhair-cean

Psychic Spy

• 1,145 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:53 AM

View Postissues, on 24 June 2013 - 04:48 AM, said:

Pretty sure there was a bloke back in the day that proved the Earth was round but the Religious Majority said NO!

Nope, not really. The Church fighting science for a Flat Earth is a fabrication of the Enlightenment. The ancient Greeks asserted and proved that the Earth was round and after that, there was no widespread belief of the opposite.

And as for the Coelacanth, as I've explained before on numerous occasions in similar threads, it is a very bad analogue for a surviving dinosaur even though its order was thought to have become extinct and then later, two extant species were discovered. The problem is that the survivors are both deep-see fish and the ones we know from fossils are from shallow waters. We simply don't have access many deep-sea fossil beds, since most of them are still under a lot of water. This is not the case with dinosaurs, who were strictly land-dwelling animals. If some of them survived the K-Pg Event, we would have found some fossil evidence by now. We know of millions of individual dinosaur fossils after K-Pg, and we see dinosaurs every day. They are called birds.

#65    Labobio

Labobio

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:42 AM

It would be so cool if some did still exist..I wish they did..but I doubt it..sucks..lol

#66    Stardrive

Stardrive

Resident Bass Guitarist

• 3,275 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:04 PM

View PostClobhair-cean, on 24 June 2013 - 05:53 AM, said:

we see dinosaurs every day. They are called birds.
True that!  Yesterdays dinosaurs are todays birds. I enjoyed the rest of your post, very informative.

Posted Image

#67    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Forum Divinity

• 10,569 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:33 PM

View Postissues, on 24 June 2013 - 02:46 AM, said:

Coelacanth springs to mind quite readily
When was the coelacanth considered a large dinosaur?

#68    tinysbox13

tinysbox13

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 69 posts

• "**** Happens"

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:19 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 26 February 2013 - 07:10 PM, said:

I don't know about dinosaurs, but one of my friends is married to a dragon!

would that dragon be grand and wear a hood?

cogito ergo sum

#69    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:46 PM

View Postali smack, on 26 February 2013 - 06:15 PM, said:

I don't understand how people can believe in them existing. it's just not likely at all. the food they'd have to eat would be imense, how would they survive exinction, the atmosphere and climate is totally different. its just not possible. but people still inisist on seeing them.
why?
Well how else would you explain those huge fossilized bones?

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#70    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,170 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:02 PM

View PostJ. K., on 26 February 2013 - 06:46 PM, said:

I think the basic idea is like this.  Alligators have remained since then relatively unchanged as a species, except for growing smaller.  Perhaps the sauropods went through a similar process.

Difference being pretty much everybody has seen an alligator, don't know many who have seen a dinosaur.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#71    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,816 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:41 AM

View PostClobhair-cean, on 24 June 2013 - 05:53 AM, said:

Nope, not really. The Church fighting science for a Flat Earth is a fabrication of the Enlightenment. The ancient Greeks asserted and proved that the Earth was round and after that, there was no widespread belief of the opposite.

And as for the Coelacanth, as I've explained before on numerous occasions in similar threads, it is a very bad analogue for a surviving dinosaur even though its order was thought to have become extinct and then later, two extant species were discovered. The problem is that the survivors are both deep-see fish and the ones we know from fossils are from shallow waters. We simply don't have access many deep-sea fossil beds, since most of them are still under a lot of water. This is not the case with dinosaurs, who were strictly land-dwelling animals. If some of them survived the K-Pg Event, we would have found some fossil evidence by now. We know of millions of individual dinosaur fossils after K-Pg, and we see dinosaurs every day. They are called birds.

You mean they were found in a fish market right.  As fot the k-pg event why aren't there any fossels of dinos in event line

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#72    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,816 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:43 AM

Ali smack you on't believe in evolution.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#73    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,188 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:32 AM

View Postissues, on 24 June 2013 - 04:48 AM, said:

actuslly, the issue the Cathlic Chirch had wasn't the shapr of the Earth (which is immaterial to doctrine) but rather to the place of Earth in the scheme of thnigs, centre ofbthe universe was the party line.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#74    Clobhair-cean

Clobhair-cean

Psychic Spy

• 1,145 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:46 AM

View Postdanielost, on 06 July 2013 - 12:41 AM, said:

You mean they were found in a fish market right.  As fot the k-pg event why aren't there any fossels of dinos in event line

I don't really get what you mean. The first live specimen was found as bycatch on a trawler ship, but we still have no fossils of any deep-sea lobe-finned fish. And as for the second question, the K-Pg line is about a centimetre thick, it would be pretty damn hard to find a dinosaur there. We have them beneath it, and we don't have any non-avian dinosaurs above it.

#75    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,727 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:53 PM

They do exist?

Thought they died out quite a while back.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users