Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 2 votes

reintroducing corporal punishment in schools?

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1    shrooma

shrooma

doesn't have one screw fully tightened.....

• 3,506 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

with unruly kids having no respect for teachers, due to teachers being powerless to punish the guilty, should corporal punishment be introduced as a deterrent?
*sound of can of worms being opened*

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -    
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on like a mardy-arsed
bĦt˘h due to your lack of understanding.

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,794 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:11 PM

As long as they take the knives of the kids first. Would not like to see the teacher trying to enforce any kind of punishment in some of these schools.
We do not want any more riots on our hands!

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#3    shrooma

shrooma

• 3,506 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

that's the kind of thing I had in mind freet.
when I was at school, we wouldn't have dared carry a knife around, or we'd quite literally have had our asses whipped!
helluva deterrent....

#4    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:24 PM

It doesn't really work. Look at the inner-city gangs of the 60s and 70s, when the troubles with violent kids was just as bad, if not as concentrated, as it is today.

Nowadays, as well, kids wouldn't stand for it. Even when I was at school, if a teacher had attempted to hit a student, the teacher would have been decked. I know I would have defended myself against any attempts. And there were also students when I was there who were expelled for punching, kicking and even Malkying teachers for a lot less than a whack with a ruler, or stick.

It would just be inviting trouble.

#5    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,026 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

POPULAR

How about knocking the heads of parents around to teach some respect at home? Parents don't teach children to respect others, so they go to school (or wherever) and act disrespectfully. Put the blame where it belongs.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#6    shrooma

shrooma

• 3,506 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:32 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 26 February 2013 - 08:24 PM, said:

It doesn't really work. Look at the inner-city gangs of the 60s and 70s, when the troubles with violent kids was just as bad, if not as concentrated, as it is today.

Nowadays, as well, kids wouldn't stand for it. Even when I was at school, if a teacher had attempted to hit a student, the teacher would have been decked. I know I would have defended myself against any attempts. And there were also students when I was there who were expelled for punching, kicking and even Malkying teachers for a lot less than a whack with a ruler, or stick.

It would just be inviting trouble.
then maybe those kind of kids, exhibiting that kind of behaviour would be singled out, and kept away from the other kids, allowing them to learn without disruption?

#7    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

View Postshrooma, on 26 February 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

then maybe those kind of kids, exhibiting that kind of behaviour would be singled out, and kept away from the other kids, allowing them to learn without disruption?

When I was at school, many of them already were. Sometimes a bit late though.

#8    shrooma

shrooma

• 3,506 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

View PostLady Kasey, on 26 February 2013 - 08:25 PM, said:

How about knocking the heads of parents around to teach some respect at home? Parents don't teach children to respect others, so they go to school (or wherever) and act disrespectfully. Put the blame where it belongs.
maybe having discipline at school would be better than having no discipline at all?

#9    shrooma

shrooma

• 3,506 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:37 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 26 February 2013 - 08:33 PM, said:

When I was at school, many of them already were. Sometimes a bit late though.
they use a similar system at my old school now, the disruptive kids are all taught in a seperate part of the school, with social workers, and teachers who are trained to help kids like that, and it seems to be working....

#10    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

If they misbehave, kick them out. If your education system is taxpayer funded like the US's, I see no reason why some unruly little stain should be allowed to disrupt everyone else, kick them out and make them earn their GED the hard way.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#11    shrooma

shrooma

• 3,506 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

i'm not saying corporal punishment is a magic panacea, but kids (not ALL kids!) DO seem to have gotten a whole lot worse since caning was banned, and it can't be mere coincidence, can it?

#12    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,794 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

It does not help when we have the lefty brigade saying that the reason why little Desmond has just threatened to stab the teacher is because he has a "learning difficulty",
As pointed out, the discipline starts at home.
The South London school i went did eventually have a separate section for the unruly kids....when they showed up! But in those days the teachers were tougher, now they have to be extremely careful how they talk to these children...incase they 'scare" them and upset them and then the parents come to the school and threaten to sue the teacher.
The kids know all the tricks of the trade today, tricks which they  should not be able to get away with and some of the parents are not helping matter.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#13    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:46 PM

View Postshrooma, on 26 February 2013 - 08:41 PM, said:

i'm not saying corporal punishment is a magic panacea, but kids (not ALL kids!) DO seem to have gotten a whole lot worse since caning was banned, and it can't be mere coincidence, can it?

There are far more factors to consider. The perceived correlation may just be coincidence, or part of a larger number of problems, such as the moral decay of our culture.

#14    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 6,810 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

I'm not a fan of school corporal punishment. Really really not a fan. It's not ok when a parent canes their child, it's really not ok for other people to do it.

#15    shrooma

shrooma

• 3,506 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 26 February 2013 - 08:45 PM, said:

they have to be extremely careful how they talk to these children...incase they 'scare" them and upset them and then the parents come to the school and threaten to sue the teacher.
The kids know all the tricks of the trade today, tricks which they  should not be able to get away with
I agree.
but if corporal punishment was reintroduced, kids wouldn't be able to complain, as it would be legal to reprimand them, and when I was a kid, if I went home and told my mam and dad i'd been caned, I got a whole other asskicking all over again for being a little get at school!
it'll NEVER be reintroduced, because of, as you say, the loony left, I just wondered if a referendum WAS held, would people allow their kids to be punished?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users