Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Japan will never stop whaling, minister says

• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

#31    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 3,524 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

I didn't mean specifically you, but the media and all in general. I see a lot of Japanese bashing, while the Norwegians hunt just as many, and no one really seems to care.

#32    Moon Gazer

Moon Gazer

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

• Stonewylde.... follow me to Stonewylde....

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 27 February 2013 - 02:53 PM, said:

I didn't mean specifically you, but the media and all in general. I see a lot of Japanese bashing, while the Norwegians hunt just as many, and no one really seems to care.

I know what you mean, you do see significantly more in the media about Japan.  I think on a whole Japan kill many more than Iceland and Norway.  I'm not sure on Norway but I think Iceland are limited to a couple of hundred a year (sorry I don't know too many facts but some of my friends know a lot about these kind of things so just things I have picked up from them)

#33    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 4,314 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 27 February 2013 - 02:53 PM, said:

All should be held accountable if doing it illegally,and absolute limits should be monitored.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#34    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 3,524 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

*Illegal" is also pretty vague. Anything goes in international waters.

#35    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 4,314 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 27 February 2013 - 03:05 PM, said:

*Illegal" is also pretty vague. Anything goes in international waters.

True my point being this should be monitored before we keep wiping species out.We have done it before and at the rate we are going it will keep happening again and again.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#36    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 3,524 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

I don't see them catching enough for that, though.

#37    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 4,314 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

Well hopefully you are correct,but i know fishermen pretty well worked on several different fishing boats with my uncle in my teen years.Fishermen can be very greedy!

#38    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 3,524 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

Indeed, humans are greedy. But Japan is a member of the International Whaling Commission, which sets the limits. If Japan wouldn't want to stay inside those limits, they could simply opt out. There are no penalties; it's a voluntary organization.

#39    Moon Gazer

Moon Gazer

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 27 February 2013 - 03:16 PM, said:

I don't see them catching enough for that, though.

I think as long as it can be kept "limited" then the Whale populations will do ok.  It's the push to go back to commercial whaling that is the biggest threat (in my opinion) as this is the reason why certain whales are almost extinct.

#40    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 4,314 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

These animals do not come with a bar code a lot of illegal things can go on without notice.

#41    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 3,524 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

View PostMoon Gazer, on 27 February 2013 - 03:26 PM, said:

I think as long as it can be kept "limited" then the Whale populations will do ok.  It's the push to go back to commercial whaling that is the biggest threat (in my opinion) as this is the reason why certain whales are almost extinct.
And thus are not being hunted anymore, including the Japanese. Nobody is hunting blue whales.

#42    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 3,524 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 27 February 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

These animals do not come with a bar code a lot of illegal things can go on without notice.
Sure, but I cannot speculate about this. I don't have any reason to believe Japan is forging their numbers on whale hunting. The same goes for Canada,, the USA, Denmark, Norway or any other country that is allowing the hunting of whales.

#43    Moon Gazer

Moon Gazer

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 27 February 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

And thus are not being hunted anymore, including the Japanese. Nobody is hunting blue whales.

Yep, agreed.  A move back to commercial hunting though could push other Whale populations in the same direction as blue whales.  *fingers crossed* that it doesn't happen.

#44    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 4,314 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 27 February 2013 - 03:32 PM, said:

Sure, but I cannot speculate about this. I don't have any reason to believe Japan is forging their numbers on whale hunting. The same goes for Canada,, the USA, Denmark, Norway or any other country that is allowing the hunting of whales.

Agreed whales do not spawn like fish though,it is becoming more and more apparent we are overfishing our oceans as a whole.I will not speculate any further,but i would not put these creatures out of that realm of possibility.

#45    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,050 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

Just send them to the moon.

Posted Image

~MEH~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users