Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Ottawa TomaHawks considering name change

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1    Thanato

Thanato

Alien Abducter

• 5,156 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

Ottawa TomaHawks considering name change after outcry

Ottawa's new basketball team could be dropping its TomaHawks name, less than a day after its unveiling raised concerns with Ottawa's aboriginal community.

The team, part of the fledgling nine-team National Basketball League of Canada, unveiled the name at Ottawa's city hall on Tuesday afternoon.

Bytown Sports and Entertainment, the owners of the team, say they took the name from a type of slam dunk in basketball, and not from the fighting axe used by First Nations people.

But it wasn't long after the announcement that people on Twitter and other social messaging forums called the name racist and offensive.

"It sets Ottawa back almost thirty years, when the NCAA is on its way to remove names like this. Here we are starting new teams with names like Tomahawk, it's...it's backwards," said Ian Campeau, an Ottawa aboriginal and a DJ with Ottawa musicians A Tribe Called Red.

Team co-owner Gus Takkale said on Tuesday First Nations groups were consulted beforehand.

"I want to make sure I'm clear with everybody, this is the name that we have, it's a tomahawk dunk with no intended native reference, and that's clear," said Takkale.

But an official at Bytown Sports and Entertainment told CBC News on Wednesday morning that the team is now considering changing the name.

The team's inaugural season is to begin in November at Scotiabank Place. The league also features teams from Windsor, London, Oshawa, Montreal, Moncton, Saint John, Halifax and Summerside.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ame-change.html

Oh come on. The bloody team is named after an AXE! How the hell is this 'racist'. Keep the name, then educate others that the team is named after a tool.

~Thanato

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scrapping will remove the black parts!" ~Caboose

"I will eat your unhappyness!" ~Caboose

"Freedom isn't bought in stores, it is bought on battlefields." ~Thanato

#2    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,050 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

~MEH~

#3    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,961 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:23 PM

They've decided to change the name. The whole thing is just massively stupid. People being offended because they want to have something to be offended about. I wonder if the team was called the Katanas if it would be racists towards the Japanese. :rolleyes:

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#4    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 17,124 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

Ridiculous!

#5    hatecraft

hatecraft

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

Some people are so easily offended.

#6    Princess Serenity

Princess Serenity

YOUR FAVORITE GIRL!

• 8,724 posts

• "There's nothing to fear but fear itself." Franklin D Roosevelt.

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

[Bangs head] Oh my god. Get over it you stupid idiots! For heaven's sake. Why is this a bad thing after it's been there for so long? Ugh!

Posted Image

#7    F3SS

F3SS

FoT

• 9,790 posts

• Father of Twins
    3-16-16

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

This is what you get when political correctness and liberalism infect your community. Yes, infect.

#8    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,050 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

Posted Image
'THERE BETTER NOT BE A TEAM CALLED THE UNICORNS. MY FATHER'S STEED SHOULD NEVER BE INSULTED.'

This is how silly this is. North Korea silly.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#9    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,165 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

They should change the name to someone proper and acceptable like the Assault Rifles or something like that.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#10    Solipsi Rai

Solipsi Rai

...from the Desert...

• 2,865 posts

• he's Native and Indio-geneous to the Americas.

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:46 AM

The word "Tomahawk" has obviously different connotations than "Redskin", an ethnic slur directed onto Native Americans and First Nations people, and still there is the Washington Redskins of the NFL decidedly kept their name out of support by fans. What should the team get called: the Ottawa Axes? Come up with a clever team name as long it doesn't potentially "offend" anyone (LOL). :innocent:

:innocent: The Truth is Out There - the X Files. :alien:

#11    F3SS

F3SS

FoT

• 9,790 posts

• Father of Twins
    3-16-16

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:45 AM

The Ottawa Native American Assault Hatchets.

#12    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 17,752 posts

• I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:56 AM

The Ottowaxes?  Nah, that'd make people think of hairless Otters...   If natives find such things so insulting then maybe history should just be ignored and no references be made to their accomplishments or heritage at all.  No, wait, that'd be offensive too :passifier:

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#13    Myles

Myles

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,493 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:30 PM

Fine, now I'm not going to watch any of their games.
:tsu:

#14    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 7,567 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

The Ottawa We-Were Going-To-Have-A-Cool-Sounding-Name-But-To-Avoid-Potentially-Insulting-Anyone-Anywhere-For-Any-Reason-We-Will-Have-No-Names-Oh-Wait-Isn't-Ottawa-An-Aboriginal-Name-Itself..

I like it... Lets see that on the jerseys...

Edited by Taun, 01 March 2013 - 03:36 PM.

#15    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:42 PM

Good to know that all issues within the First Peoples (isn't that what you guys call them up there?) community are so well in hand that they can move on to issues like this.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users