Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Councillor under fire over disabled remarks

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 27 February 2013 - 06:58 PM, said:

I stated that it was a majority of the profession who adhere to and believe in the standards, not all of them.

Personally, I don't classify a fetus as a human being if it is too early in the pregnancy to live outside the womb (and actually, the cut-off dates for abortions are actually much earlier in the pregnancy than that). I'm sorry, but I can't. How can it fit the definition? Until then it is just a collection of cells and an extension of the woman, unable to live without being a part of the woman. It seems that laws and medical definitions would for the most part agree with me, which, again, is why it is legal.

And OK then, you do have a point about those examples only being half a life (but then, this is actually a matter of perspective), but what is your opinion of the morning after pill which acts in a different way to the pill? It kills potential life in the same manner as an abortion.
I can understand why that would be your cut off, if it can't survive on it's own, it needs the woman's body to survive. Here's the thing though (I'm gonna sound mean again) those disabled kids can't survive on their own either. Sure, they're not attached by an umbilical cord, sure they can survive a few days if no one's watching them, but will they ever survive on their own? Now that brings the conversation back to the euthanasia topic and all that. If something or someone endangers another (a fetus causing complications in a pregnancy, or [this will seem like a bad comparison, but not if you're living the life] if you have a disabled family member who requires around the clock attention) then shouldn't you be able to 'get rid of it'? (I know what I'm saying sounds mean, but I'm not trying to be mean, I'm trying to compare the thoughts of the people who live those situations, unwanted pregnancy, problem pregnancy, caregiver to a disabled person, caregiver to a person with a genetic disease; they'll feel trapped by these other 'humans' [the fetus, the disabled] that is stopping them from enjoying their life.)

Your point is the reason why I don't have a problem with abortion for other people, the fetus or baby or zygote or Timmy is attached to their body, no one else's. While I don't agree with the definition of what a human fetus is, I do agree that it's still 'part of the woman's body' because the woman's body has to go through many hormonal changes to support the life.

I do consider the morning after pill to be a form of abortion, but a non-intrusive, early chemical abortion.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#32    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

View PostHasina, on 27 February 2013 - 07:11 PM, said:

I can understand why that would be your cut off, if it can't survive on it's own, it needs the woman's body to survive. Here's the thing though (I'm gonna sound mean again) those disabled kids can't survive on their own either. Sure, they're not attached by an umbilical cord, sure they can survive a few days if no one's watching them, but will they ever survive on their own?

Going by this definition then all babies should or could be classed as such because all babies, not just disabled ones, fit this description of not being able to survive alone without care. This was not my meaning though, as I'm sure you are aware.

(I didn't address the rest of your post because I pretty much agree with it).

Edited by ExpandMyMind, 27 February 2013 - 07:31 PM.

#33    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,810 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:58 PM

Mr Brewer said he had hoped his comment that "disabled children cost the council too much money and should be put down", would provoke a response and a debate into the issue of service costs provision, but said he "did not get the reaction he wanted".

These council people act as if it is their money!!!
Many of the parents of these children have and are paying taxes, so any money which the "council" has to use, is tax payers money..did he not think about that? obviously not.
This makes me sick, we have OUR tax money going to other countries which many of us do not agree with, and yet he has the audacity to moan about tax payers money being used towards English children?
This is the kind of idiot who would insist that the word blackboard was racist, and yet he comes out with this sort of thing!

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#34    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

The fetal heart beats at 22 days of gestation.  I consider that a human being, not just a blood clot, which probably would not have a heartbeat.  Some people say a child is not a child until its head is delivered at birth, therefore justifying late term abortions, which is basically delivering everything but the head and then driving a sharp object into the brainstem and killing the unborn human being.  I'm just glad that the abortion laws are not up to me. I get very angry about so-called late term abortions.

#35    ali smack

ali smack

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

• If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

he's an ass clown and should resign

#36    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,475 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:22 AM

People with Down Syndrome are often such beautiful souls, quickest to smile and laugh and with the most open personalities.   I'd rather put down some politicians if we're going to weed out the undesirables.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users