Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Billionaire to Rebuild the 'Titanic!

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#31    wolfknight

wolfknight

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

• There is nothing to Fear, but fear itself

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

Wonder if it will sink like the last one did?

#32    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 10,273 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

I wonder if they will have the first class in the posh cabins and the poor down below, just like on the Titanic?

#33    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,127 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 28 February 2013 - 04:29 PM, said:

I wonder if they will have the first class in the posh cabins and the poor down below, just like on the Titanic?
Yes, that's the thing. I know that for a Billionaire, he needn't worry so much about whether it's profitable, but what he seems to want to do is recreate that ghastly film. Which means that what he seems to want to attract as passengers are Kate Wilmslow and Leonardo DiCrapio, and a huge crowd of extras to provide a backdrop. What will be the actual design of this ship? The actual Titanic could accommodate 2,566 passengers—1,034 First Class, 510 Second Class and 1,022 Third Class.[95 So actually, there was more or less exactly the same number of Plebian Class as there was of Toff Class. Does Mr. Chappy (I forget his name) plan for that number of passenegrs, if he wants to recreate it completely accurately? Where does he hope to attract 1,000 Plebian Class to fill it up? Or, like I said, since this seems to be basically a huge toy, isn't he worried about economics? And if he isn't, why is he having it built as cheaply as possible?

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#34    Sundew

Sundew

Poltergeist

• 2,508 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

I'm thinking maybe Miami to Aruba would be a safer route, and no danger of a repeat disaster!

#35    skookum

skookum

Psychic Spy

• 1,800 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

I have lost count of how many times this guy has announced this over the last few years. He keeps getting press but no building has started or even contracts signed.  

I think he is a number of years late and if you excuse the pun missed the boat.  If he wanted to make real money he should have built it in time for James Cameron's Titanic film so he could of cashed in on the hype at the time.

Instead over the last few months we get "It will be built in China at the docks that he has two ships currently under construction, and contracts could even be signed next week".  18 months is a long could be next week.

Posted Image

#36    Soccergirl13

Soccergirl13

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

Just my 2 cents to the story as I am working in the cruise industry. (will leave for the caribbean next week yay) This guy may build an exact replica but he wont be allowed to dock nowhere in the world with it. There are very big restrictions on.cruise ships these days. So it may look a little like it from the outside (Cunard, Seabourn and Holland America comes close to it) but that is about it. Neither the engine nor staterooms for crew and passengers are allowed to have the standards from back in the day and dont even get me started on the lifeboat situation. Whatever ships he builts it wont come even close to the Titanic.

I have been cruising above the same spot 3 days before the anniversary (it was worm no icebergs anywhere haha) but there seems to be some kind of curse on that route. For the anniversary there was one event ship that did the same itinerary with same food and music like back in the day. On the titanic spot they made a stop to leave flowers in the water. No idea how they got the permission. Nothing is allowed to go over board and trust me it is a pain in the a$$ to get a permission when someone wants to put ashes on the sea. In my time so far I had 3 guests coming to me with that request. Im sorry for there loss but they have no idea what paperwork goes into it.
Also that event cruise was late as on the first sea days a passenger had to be medical evacuated per helicopter. Also guests got sick from the different food. You wont find that in the papers though

#37    Ad hoc

Ad hoc

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 158 posts

• A man's worth is no greater than his ambitions.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

oh the hindsight is going to be sweet, so sweet when it SINKS LIKE AN ANVIL.

(probably taking an assortment of bankers with it)

#38    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 10,273 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 28 February 2013 - 04:46 PM, said:

Yes, that's the thing. I know that for a Billionaire, he needn't worry so much about whether it's profitable, but what he seems to want to do is recreate that ghastly film. Which means that what he seems to want to attract as passengers are Kate Wilmslow and Leonardo DiCrapio, and a huge crowd of extras to provide a backdrop. What will be the actual design of this ship? The actual Titanic could accommodate 2,566 passengers—1,034 First Class, 510 Second Class and 1,022 Third Class.[95 So actually, there was more or less exactly the same number of Plebian Class as there was of Toff Class. Does Mr. Chappy (I forget his name) plan for that number of passenegrs, if he wants to recreate it completely accurately? Where does he hope to attract 1,000 Plebian Class to fill it up? Or, like I said, since this seems to be basically a huge toy, isn't he worried about economics? And if he isn't, why is he having it built as cheaply as possible?
Well how about we email him, I can do the Wilmslow bit, you can be DiCrapio (I saw what you did there) :yes: ,  but I get  to keep the jewel and you get back to shore safely?

#39    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 18,013 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

I can't help but think the intricate, gilded wood carvings of the original will be made of spray painted plastic.

#40    pallidin

pallidin

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,094 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

Wouldn't it be great if, on it's maiden voyage, they showed the Leonardo DiCaprio Titanic movie on-board?  :devil:

Edited by pallidin, 28 February 2013 - 08:07 PM.

#41    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 10,273 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:12 PM

View Postpallidin, on 28 February 2013 - 08:06 PM, said:

Wouldn't it be great if, on it's maiden voyage, they showed the Leonardo DiCaprio Titanic movie on-board?  :devil:
Yeah, but this time it will be Lord Vetinari playing the part. Posted Image

#42    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• 1,114 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:42 PM

Wilmslow and Dicrapio indeed.
What a rubbish accolade and not one you are used to seeing.
Your talking about only one of two films that have actually made me cry.
But could those be tears of despair as the heroine continues to get blinded by love.
A person who didn't look a gift horse in the mouth by pining for a skint artist.
But that's beside the point because I wouldn't see Wilmslow as an insult for a surname.
It's a fine bit of Cheshire tucked in commuter country.
Not an ideal comparison for a delirious woman.
Btw the other tearjerker is Watership Down.

Edited by Medium Brown, 28 February 2013 - 08:51 PM.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#43    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Aqualish Dude

• 5,811 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:48 PM

View PostMedium Brown, on 28 February 2013 - 08:42 PM, said:

Btw the other tearjerker is Watership Down.

I only had to look up to see this sitting on my DVD shelf...  Bright Eyes ;)

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#44    Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

• Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today...
    As You don't know what tomorrow bring's.......

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 28 February 2013 - 09:55 AM, said:

The question, though, is why, if he's a Billionaire  for whom money is, clearly, no object, choose to do it as cheaply as possible, in a country with no history of building large passenger ships?

One thing I have learned in life is that those that have money, do not like spending it.......

Posted Image

#45    pallidin

pallidin

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,094 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

View PostMichelle, on 28 February 2013 - 08:05 PM, said:

I can't help but think the intricate, gilded wood carvings of the original will be made of spray painted plastic.

Likely a true impression indeed.

I was recently in a brand new building, and the inside surface construction looked good, but was mostly plastic/faux wood.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users