Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

rare superbug jump in US, CDC says

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1    sean6

sean6

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:02 AM

Reports of rare superbug jump in US, CDC says

A sharp jump in the number of rare but potentially deadly types of a superbug resistant to nearly all last-resort antibiotics has prompted government health officials to renew warnings for U.S. hospitals, nursing homes and other health care settings.

The move comes just as researchers in Israel are reporting that people who carry dangerous CRE -- Carbapenem-resistant enterobacteriaceae -- can take more than a year before they test negative for the bacteria, making it more difficult to control and raising the risk of wider spread.

http://vitals.nbcnew...s-cdc-says?lite

http://www.foxnews.c...creasing-in-us/

this is all we need now right :td:

#2    Ashotep

Ashotep

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,993 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:35 AM

Doesn't surprise me.  I was reading a few months back about a new strain of gonorrhea and tuberculosis that is untreatable.  Might should stop putting patients in the same room together.

#3    jesspy

jesspy

Full of Wisdumb

• 8,113 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:08 AM

Ahhh......Bacteria ......the downfall of man.

Superbugs are accumulating because dumb people do not finish their course of antibiotics. Or at the first sign of a cold stupid doctors prescribe antibiotics. Then the stupid food companies stick antibiotics in everything. Therefore the bacteria grow a resistance to the antibiotics and pass their resistance down. These things multiply with binary fission they just replicate themselves over and over again they are little cloning machines. It only takes one bacteria to be resistant. Some bacteria can multiply 100 fold in a matter of hours. Soon we will be back to pre war situations and if you get an infection it has to be removed surgically or you are left to die.

Mind tricks don't work on me, only money.

#4    WhyDontYouBeliEveMe

WhyDontYouBeliEveMe

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

• When i'm right,no one remembers!
    When i'm wrong no one forgets !

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:49 AM

View Postjesspy, on 05 March 2013 - 06:08 AM, said:

Ahhh......Bacteria ......the downfall of man.

Superbugs are accumulating because dumb people do not finish their course of antibiotics. Or at the first sign of a cold stupid doctors prescribe antibiotics. Then the stupid food companies stick antibiotics in everything. Therefore the bacteria grow a resistance to the antibiotics and pass their resistance down. These things multiply with binary fission they just replicate themselves over and over again they are little cloning machines. It only takes one bacteria to be resistant. Some bacteria can multiply 100 fold in a matter of hours. Soon we will be back to pre war situations and if you get an infection it has to be removed surgically or you are left to die.
who are you trying to blame? humans killing themselves or the bacteria for killing the human?

p.s i like that , above of you avatar picture "full of wisdumb''

Edited by WhyDontYouBeliEveMe, 05 March 2013 - 08:51 AM.

#5    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:01 AM

Failure to finish a course of antibiotics is a small part of the problem.  The plain fact is that when we use any sort of antibiotic or antiviral, the bugs attacked will evolve defenses.  This is just simply inevitable, and is a sort of ongoing arms race between us and the bugs.

What can we do to help?  Well, we can finish a course of antibiotics.  We can also greatly improve our hygienic practices -- especially regarding hand washing and fingernails.  Then there is coughing.  What can I say about that?  These are all peripheral and can be overdone, but they do help.  Of course one thing is safe sex, where so far we have been losing the arms race, although making some progress.

It may be that vaccinations against almost everything will one day be found, and we can then depend on our bodies to fight diseases rather than pharmaceuticals.  That will be a huge advance, but in the meantime we need to support the continued development of more antibiotics and so on.

#6    Rocketgirl

Rocketgirl

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

• "I envy the dead for they do not have to see how the world is changing for the worst."
    -Rocketgirl

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:15 AM

Frank already said a little about what I was going to say about being clean. So I will just add this, I read an article a while ago about how hospitals are germ cities, they aren't being cleaned like they should. If hospitals and other places like schools were to disinfectant then that would help cut down on these superbugs and other illnesses that are going around.

Plus, if people were to stay away from other people when they are sick that would also help too. No one wants to share your germs if you are sick.

"I envy the dead for they do not have to see how the world is changing for the worst."
-Rocketgirl

"Try to change the world for the better, if you fail keep trying. Always aim for that impact of change in a positive way."
-Rocketgirl

#7    sean6

sean6

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:08 PM

keep an eye on this one its all over the news now :hmm:

http://www.usatoday....pitals/1965133/

Edited by sean6, 06 March 2013 - 04:14 PM.

#8    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:10 PM

Oh I've had a dozen forwards of news stories about this already from acquaintances in the States.  Probably most of us have.

#9    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,509 posts

• We're more Ceefax people.

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:26 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 05 March 2013 - 09:01 AM, said:

Failure to finish a course of antibiotics is a small part of the problem.  The plain fact is that when we use any sort of antibiotic or antiviral, the bugs attacked will evolve defenses.  This is just simply inevitable, and is a sort of ongoing arms race between us and the bugs.

What can we do to help?  Well, we can finish a course of antibiotics.  We can also greatly improve our hygienic practices -- especially regarding hand washing and fingernails.  Then there is coughing.  What can I say about that?  These are all peripheral and can be overdone, but they do help.  Of course one thing is safe sex, where so far we have been losing the arms race, although making some progress.

It may be that vaccinations against almost everything will one day be found, and we can then depend on our bodies to fight diseases rather than pharmaceuticals.  That will be a huge advance, but in the meantime we need to support the continued development of more antibiotics and so on.
The thing is, this is an old, old war. The fungi that originally made the antibiotic didn't do it for fun, and the bacteria have millions of years on us at developing resistance mechanisms against antimicrobials. We're just making the problem a whole lot worse, making the antibiotics so widespread that the little buggers that do have the genes for resistance suddenly get their chance to shine.

Fave piece of advice on antibiotics: don't bully your GP into giving you them!

Posted Image

#10    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• Closed
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:32 PM

Guns, Germs and Steel, observed Jared Diamond.

#11    sean6

sean6

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:12 PM

talk about the superbugs has been in the news every day so far, pray we dont get sick.

http://www.theatlant...e-charts/62962/

wake up

Edited by sean6, 11 March 2013 - 09:15 PM.

#12    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,903 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:31 PM

Wake up? What are you talking about? Who's asleep, and in what regard?

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#13    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,821 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:24 PM

It is the antibiotics that are making them stronger. Don't take any unless you really have to.

#14    sean6

sean6

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:24 AM

Immigrants could cause a superbug apocalypse, scientists warn

Read more: http://www.foxnews.c.../#ixzz2Ou4azkTm

#15    sean6

sean6

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

New strain of bird flu which has never been seen in humans before kills two people in China

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2P8a6CHu2

Edited by sean6, 31 March 2013 - 04:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users