Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Should victims have a say on punishment?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Poll: Should victims have a say on punishment for the criminal? (20 member(s) have cast votes)

Should victims have a say on punishment for the criminal?

1. Yes (14 votes [70.00%])

Percentage of vote: 70.00%

2. No (6 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16    Knight Of Shadows

Knight Of Shadows

Shadow Dancer

• 5,251 posts

• Rest In Peace A.B

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:58 AM

Mikko-kun, on 07 March 2013 - 06:31 AM, said:

Consider this from those victims' and their closed ones' point of view who dont want to have anything at all to do with the perpetrator. Asking them any more than what's necessary, and this isn't necessary, wont do them any good. Asking this also feeds the idea and emotions related to vengeance, which also doesn't do any good to anyone. If you want to take vengeange, risk sentence and commit a crime or hire someone to commit a crime or a legal yet hurting act towards the perpetrator. Or we could use a law that allowed pre-agreed duels to death, if both parties agreed.

People just dont do crimes without some sort of previous continuum of bad experiences and feelings. You should focus more on making the world a better place from those aspects and less on instigating people for that stuff.
not really vengence .. there is something called justice
and yeah i say the victim .. or his/her family in case the person was killed should get to decide the criminal fate
tis only fitting

by the name of Allah the Gracious the Merciful
Say, "I seek refuge in the Lord of daybreak From the evil of that which He created
And from the evil of darkness when it settles And from the evil of the blowers in knots
And from the evil of an envier when he envies"
truthful was Allah The Most High And Great

#17    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:46 PM

Man, when you ask a question like these lots of members their imaginations go completely wild.

The question doesn't propose a situation where you can ask the judge if you can get a room with the criminal and a baseball bat to go at her/him.
That's why i explicitely added the "co-decide with the court on the punishment".

To bring down everyones imagination, an example scenario:
Child of mother and father is kidnapped and killed , the criminal has an accomplice who doesn't harm the children but just stands by and enables the criminal.
Both of them are caught and thrown in jail, after 3 years the accomplice is up for parol and granted  release because she/he is deemed not threat to society.

The family of the survivor is appauled and doesn't feel ready to deal with this yet. Should their feelings be taken into account because of course they feel no justice, and so could they co-decide with the court and form some sort of compromise instead of just being dismissed?

#18    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

New life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

• Virtues come from heart, vices from habits

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:43 PM

Why do you need protection of the law to pay them back? You can hire a hitman or a thug, thugs dont cost that much if you got some spare savings and dont wanna do it all by yourself. Do you need an "okay" from society? I know I dont, not that I believe in that kind of vengeange really... you can decide people's fates without leaning on others for support there. It's not fair that someone precious from you was taken or you or your closed one was violated, yes. But the culprits dont usually get help from the law, except in cases like "Conspiracy of Silence"... so why should you? Isn't that just fair too? You think very emotionally and anyone would when their closed one is done in, but if you wanna speak justice and what's equal, that is. And you know what eye for an eye attitute does ultimately... so you should take responsibility or at least the same risk if you go there. The world isn't a lenient place where you can go to mr. police officer and always get help, there's some very twisted people in there too.

I've been born again 31,8,2014 approximately 21:35 local time. A moment free of clutter in the mind, emancipating myself like an escapist, allowing myself to breathe life in a stronger, less physical level... though it does resonate to physical world. It's the oomph.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users