Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Musings on the Darwin Awards

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

If ever there were candidates for the Darwin Awards, it was Thelma and Louise, the lead characters from Ridley Scott’s film of the same name.

Thelma in particular was a real dork-head.  I mean, what on earth did she expect?  At the start of their vacation, long before reaching their destination, Thelma insisted on going into a bar.  She dressed in clothes that said “I want sex”, got really drunk, behaved provocatively, and when a man started “hitting” on her and offering her what she wanted, instead of staying with her friend Louise, she danced with him and gave him a whole load of encouragement.  When he accompanied her outside and attempted to have sex with her, she decided that she didn’t want sex after all.  He then goaded Louise who was pointing a gun at him.  Stupid or what?  She shot.  He died.  Yet another candidate for the Darwin Awards bit the dust.

Louise is the older of the two women, the more experienced.  In this case experience clearly doesn’t count for much.  Was she blind?  Couldn’t she see that Thelma was a real numbskull?  Obviously not, for she is idiot enough to entrust Thelma with her life savings, their escape funds, whilst she sorts things out with her boyfriend before leaving him for Mexico.  During Louise’s absence, Thelma, who’s clearly more than just a few sandwiches short of a picnic, entertained another total stranger, this time in their motel room.  (Geez, did the attempted rape teach her nothing?!!!)  During the course of that steamy night she found out the stranger was a petty thief.  That, of course, did not stop Thelma from: (a) telling him about the money, ( B) telling him that she was heading for Mexico -- and this next one REALLY beggars belief – © leaving him alone with the money.  No surprises, then, to discover that both he and the money were gone when she returned.

When Louise, for the second time in 24 hours, tried to blame Thelma for getting them into deep ****, Thelma had the audacity to get angry.  Where Louise held her tongue and tried to be “reasonable”, I’d have been tempted to give Thelma a good “crack across the side of the head” (as my grandmother used to call that sort of disciplining).

Later, the roles become reversed.  Thelma got the pair out of the trouble that Louise got them into.  The only sense Thelma exhibited in the entire film (except for having the guts to rob a supermarket and to disable a bothersome policeman by stealing his gun and locking him in the boot of his patrol car) was that, having tasted real freedom for the first time in her entire life, she realised that returning to her old existence was untenable.  (“…and freedom, that which no man gives up but with life itself…”)  However, since the women had managed to get themselves backed into such a very tight corner, that realisation came too late --- the only option left was their dramatic suicide.

Film plots are littered with candidates for the Darwin Awards.  “Thelma and Louise” is no exception.  Do you have any favourite candidates?

#2    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

Well, I have always maintained that truth is stranger than fiction. So I would like to nominate Timothy Treadwell. Best director goes to Werner Herzog.

Best supporting role goes to "Mr. Chocolate". And yes, he is a big boy. /sigh

#3    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:32 PM

Yes, I second this nomination!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users