Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Does Fear Drive Kids' Paranormal Experiences?

bad dreams night terrors phobias paranormal experiences children

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,630 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

Night terrors and bad dreams are common among young children, and a new study found that that some preschoolers who suffer from nighttime phobias have difficulty telling the difference between fantasy and reality.

Children are often said to be more sensitive, or “open,” to psychic and paranormal experiences. The idea is that there is wisdom in the ignorance and inexperience of youth and that adults rarely see entities or have such experiences because their minds have been closed off by logic and skepticism to the magic and wonder of the world.

http://news.discover...nces-130218.htm

Posted Image

#2    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,902 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:47 PM

I don't know about kids, but there's many, many adults who seem to be unable to differentiate between fantasy and reality in daily life!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#3    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,505 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

View Postealdwita, on 28 February 2013 - 05:47 PM, said:

I don't know about kids, but there's many, many adults who seem to be unable to differentiate between fantasy and reality in daily life!

Yep, and many of them are members of this website.  lol

#4    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,902 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

View PostEldorado, on 28 February 2013 - 06:14 PM, said:

Yep, and many of them are members of this website.  lol

Let me assure you, ladies and gentlemen (and various self-proclaimed 'not specifieds'), nothing, but nothing could've been farther from my mind when I posted #2!

Posted Image

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#5    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,465 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

I have seen a ghost and I have no problem with differentiating between fantasy and reality.

#6    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

Whats wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:14 PM

I love how people make blanket statements,  I dont know whether a child that has nightmares or nightime phobias has anymore experiance with the paranormal, although I can tell you it doesnt hurt it.  Kid are easier to see things now whether this is all in there imaginations or not is up to the parent to decide, although Ill also say that if a child comes up to you saying that hes seen something that scares them go and check it out. Dont just shrug it off telling them it was there imaginations go look into it if the kid is truly frightened.

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#7    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

I saw this article a while back but didn't post it because it just seemed so overly obvious to me that i couldn't see how anybody else wouldn't see this logicalness.

It's , how should i say, 'extremely DUH'.

#8    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,511 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:59 PM

"fantasy-realated confusion"

That says it all dosnt it? I know intimately about child hood experiences regarding these issues on several fronts. This is an example of severe bias creeping into "scientific" endevours. if we throw a little evolutionary psychology in there and half a brain of thought with actual critical thinking  we might discover the real reason children experience night terrors.  Seriously it was almost insulting reading that.

Edited by Seeker79, 28 February 2013 - 10:02 PM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#9    Kazahel

Kazahel

Government Agent

• 3,992 posts

• What need is there of seeing, in the presence of His gratitude?

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:32 AM

I agree with this because many adults would go to sleep and dream fantastic things every night and have no clue of their reality ever. ^_^

#10    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,511 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:36 AM

View PostKazahel, on 01 March 2013 - 01:32 AM, said:

I agree with this because many adults would go to sleep and dream fantastic things every night and have no clue of their reality ever. ^_^
But do they mix fantasy with reality, while being true to themselves?

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#11    Kazahel

Kazahel

Government Agent

• 3,992 posts

• What need is there of seeing, in the presence of His gratitude?

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:27 AM

View PostSeeker79, on 01 March 2013 - 01:36 AM, said:

But do they mix fantasy with reality, while being true to themselves?

I dont understand exactly what you're asking.

#12    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:36 AM

Got it kids fear problems that they haven't faced yet and try to find a way to make that that fear known and adults instead of fearing a problem they just deny that it exists. Well that explains a lot about life. :P

#13    sgroclkc

sgroclkc

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:26 AM

Night terrors and bad dreams are caused by palpitations or fainting . For instance, heart palpitations. Dont these two words make you shutter with anxiety ? Well, maybe the words dont, but the sensations caused by heart palpitations certainly do scare people.
http://www.wellspher...tations/1044310

#14    paperdyer

paperdyer

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

• "The place where optimism flourishes the most is the insane asylum."

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:43 PM

Well I've seen a few things in my years I can't explain, while I've been awake.  Needless to say I try to keep a somewhat open mind to paranormal things.  Perhaps the parents of the children who have issues telling reality from fantasy need to start educating their kids to the difference.  I always asked my daughter if she thought something was real or not.  If she did and it wasn't I explained it to her.  I also didn't let her watch "kid shows" that that were too scary, though she loved and still does love the roadrunner abusing Wile E. Coyote.  She understood that it wasn't real faster than some other stuff.  Maybe it just depends on the kid's personality and environment.  Maybe overly treating kids like kids is the issue.  I hope it isn't hardwired in the brain.

#15    shrooma

shrooma

doesn't have one screw fully tightened.....

• 3,570 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:48 PM

I showed batman your post when he came round for tea, and he agreed with you....
:-)

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on due to your lack of understanding.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users