Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

the perfect prison

ali smack

20 members have voted

1. 1. what should prisons be like IN UK?

• they should be harsh without being cruel
    • they are just misunderstood. So they should make prisons more luxurious for criminals
    • not bothered either way
    • they are just right.
    • they should let them fend for themselves.
    • they should treat different criminals differently. the s.erious offenders should be treated harsher than the non violent offenders
    • Prisons shouldn't exist.
    • they should be cruel
    • they should help rehabilitate everyone however evil

What do you believe the perfect prison? I think they should be harsh with criminals without being cruel. I also think they should get rid of playstations, TVs, and any other luxuries. They should in my opinion, have simple food, but not starve the prisoners. They should be made to work in the prison, doing manual work, cleaning and making food. A bit like the Gordon Ramsey show he did about prisoners. The jail terms should be longer for serious offenders such as armed robbers, killers, rapists etc. They should make prisons harsh and unpleasant without being cruel and barbaric. They should drum into the prisoner's heads what they've done is wrong. They should try and rehabilitate those who are worthy of it. And not waste time on those who couldn't care less.

What are other's views?

How should prisons be?

• Like 1

I agree with a lot of what you wrote and I also feel they should monitor prisoners much more closely and segregate those who look to be teaching their bad habits, skills, hatreds etc to others...

Gangs should not be allowed to exist in prison - all too often they spill back out into the streets with the connections made in prison...

I do believe that many prisoners could be rehabilitated and could reenter society in a good way and those need to be treated differently - but I also beleve that many will NEVER be rehabilitated, will never want to be rehabilitated, and with those it is a case of protecting society, not correcting the individual...

• Like 2

I agree with a lot of what you wrote and I also feel they should monitor prisoners much more closely and segregate those who look to be teaching their bad habits, skills, hatreds etc to others...

Gangs should not be allowed to exist in prison - all too often they spill back out into the streets with the connections made in prison...

I do believe that many prisoners could be rehabilitated and could reenter society in a good way and those need to be treated differently - but I also beleve that many will NEVER be rehabilitated, will never want to be rehabilitated, and with those it is a case of protecting society, not correcting the individual...

How would you take gangs out of the situation? I mean prison is like any other invironment where people look to who they would better get along with.

As a long-serving member of our pub's Flog 'em & Hang 'em Committee, I believe that prison menus should read....'Bread, Water....Cheese on Sundays (if deserved)', and 'rehabilitation' should consist of making big rocks into little rocks!

A prison should be a place that, once released after serving a complete sentence, a criminal would never want to return to!

If you can't do the time - don't do the crime!

Edited by ealdwita
  • Like 6

Breaking rocks or sewing mail bags and the rest of the time spent alone, watching reruns of The Waltons and Little House on the Prairie.

• Like 4

What do you believe the perfect prison? I think they should be harsh with criminals without being cruel. I also think they should get rid of playstations, TVs, and any other luxuries. They should in my opinion, have simple food, but not starve the prisoners. They should be made to work in the prison, doing manual work, cleaning and making food. A bit like the Gordon Ramsey show he did about prisoners. The jail terms should be longer for serious offenders such as armed robbers, killers, rapists etc. They should make prisons harsh and unpleasant without being cruel and barbaric. They should drum into the prisoner's heads what they've done is wrong. They should try and rehabilitate those who are worthy of it. And not waste time on those who couldn't care less.

What are other's views?

How should prisons be?

I voted for prisons shoulnt exist.

Execute them all!

While I think prisoners shouldn't have it easy I don't think the government should get free slave labor. Kind of gives you a motive to put more people in prison, especially the non violent and the private prisons will make out like a bandit.

Breaking rocks or sewing mail bags and the rest of the time spent alone, watching reruns of The Waltons and Little House on the Prairie.

And for really heinous crimes, (instead of the death penalty), endless repeats of 'Loose Women'!

• Like 1

And for really heinous crimes, (instead of the death penalty), endless repeats of 'Loose Women'!

No need for cruelty, Eald.

• Like 1

There are worse places than Prisons.

• Like 1

I voted for prisons shoulnt exist.

Execute them all!

Yes. But isn't that a tad extreme? What about non violent offenders like vandals, shop lifters, joy riders, people who haven't payed there tv licence etc.

Surely they shouldn't be executed.

As much as i'm no fan of criminals. I don't want them all executed. Especially if there not a danger to the public

Gangs? Don't let them interact. Too harsh?

I don't think prisoners should be treated cruelly, but some of the things they currently get using the 'human rights' excuse is pathetic. Prison is supposed to be a punishment.

I think prisons shouldn't exist at all and the figuring out if a crime was something that will be repeated or not. So instead of prisons really really good psych wards and death for the people who are habitually violent towards others, and mental help for people who are habitually violent towards themselves.

Edited by Jinxdom

Iso Cubes :)

any fan of the judge dredd comic will know what I am talking about..

basically.. isolation for each person.. be it a month in jail or life.. total isolation :)

• Like 1

Isolation sounds good to me, or maybe they can fit them with a proximity detector that sends a shock thru their system or a piercing alarm if they get within 3 feet of each other - they would soon learn to keep their distance. I do think labour is ok but not goods or services that are designed to generate serious profits or need a "quota" aka: as someone said we don't want people sent to prison for minor infractions just to keep up certain goods "quotas".

Number plates make sense for now, or crocheting warm blankets for homeless folk and old people's homes by hand (I am not above a certain level of "torture" lol), jumpers and scarves for homeless etc would work too, makes sense they give something back to those least able to help themselves.

Their diet should be well balanced, it is the best chance of increasing their mental faculties and have them operating correctly after all but there is no need for it to be particularly tasty.

Cereal and bran/raw oats with skinny milk for breakfast plus a piece of basic fruit, apple, orange, pear, grapefruit - no fancy mangoes, berry mixes and cream etc. A plain yoghurt snack then for lunch a basic sandwich, mixed salad and cheese etc and for dinner a bland minestrone or mixed vegie plate with boiled chicken or bland but healthy side meat, no gravies and condiments, not even salt and pepper - it's not a restaurant. Definitely only water to drink, the human body does not NEED other beverages, we just enjoy them and they are not there to enjoy themselves. The menu should be rich in vitamins and sustaining but repetative and boring.

For entertainment they should each take turns reading a chapter of a classic novel out loud to each other for at least an hour a day and only have access to science/history docos of a decent standard - might as well try to get something thru those thick skulls.

Edited by libstaK

I think the idea of imprisoning someone will someday be viewed as being as barbaric as we now view torture or slavery. In fact, it is a form of both.

I think the idea of imprisoning someone will someday be viewed as being as barbaric as we now view torture or slavery. In fact, it is a form of both.

What do you suggest we do with dangerous criminals then?

I dunno; I just think we must keep in mind the reality of what we are doing.

• Like 1

I think a nazi like regimented existence would be perfect. They would not be able to walk in the yard without perfect regimented formations, zero social interaction during meals, regimented controlled entertainment consisting of educational material only. It would basically be like a boot camp 24/7. Those that would not step in line would be isolated until they did. No cruelty just the true loss of any freedoms.

What do you think we should do with child molesters and serial killers? we can't have them walking about

Iso Cubes :)

any fan of the judge dredd comic will know what I am talking about..

basically.. isolation for each person.. be it a month in jail or life.. total isolation :)

Yes nut what about the non violent offenders. should they be treated like this? not all prisoners are the same

I think prisons shouldn't exist at all and the figuring out if a crime was something that will be repeated or not. So instead of prisons really really good psych wards and death for the people who are habitually violent towards others, and mental help for people who are habitually violent towards themselves.

But what about non violent offenders? should some kid who's scribbled graffiti on a wall be put in a psych ward? And if you don't have prisons. who's killing the criminals. who's deciding who gets killed. and what constitutes as a reason for getting killed

We in the U.K. should take heed of what other Countries do,and make Prisoners work for their 3 meals, T.V. Snooker tables and beds, in a warm environment. Put them on a chain gang and make them mend roads, clean out sewers,de-litter beaches,and other menial tasks,let them Earn a living,and "pay" for their keep,it costs the ordinary Tax payer billions to keep these scum aiive and healthy.

• Like 1

I repeat myself: prison is a form of torture. It is immoral. Now it may be a necessary evil, at least at present, but it should be done reluctantly and only after exploring other things.