Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Are Jihadists damaging Islam's reputation?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
126 replies to this topic

#121    Setton

Setton

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:10 PM

View PostCoffey, on 07 March 2013 - 07:07 PM, said:

I didn't mean the actual organisation.... I meant Christianity in England which was always known as the "Church of England".....

Christianity in England was not the cause of the Crusades so I'm afraid you're new point is still wrong. Crusades were the pope's idea (he lived in Rome if you're wondering - that's in Italy - and was French by birth). In fact most crusaders and leaders were French although other countries certainly contributed.

So no, the Church of England was not responsible for the crusades. Nor was Christianity in England (still different things I'm afraid). You might find this information about the crusades useful to start some research.

'Good' is not the same as 'nice'.
'No, murder is running your broadsword through someone because he worships a different God to you... Or is that evangelism? I get confused.'
When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed - They are not it.
I don't object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

#122    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:30 PM

View PostSetton, on 07 March 2013 - 08:10 PM, said:

Christianity in England was not the cause of the Crusades so I'm afraid you're new point is still wrong. Crusades were the pope's idea (he lived in Rome if you're wondering - that's in Italy - and was French by birth). In fact most crusaders and leaders were French although other countries certainly contributed.

So no, the Church of England was not responsible for the crusades. Nor was Christianity in England (still different things I'm afraid). You might find this information about the crusades useful to start some research.

By the age of sixteen, Richard had taken command of his own army, putting down rebellions in Poitou against his father, King Henry II.[1] Richard was a central Christian commander during the Third Crusade, leading the campaign after the departure of Philip II of France and scoring considerable victories against his Muslim counterpart, Saladin, although he did not reconquer Jerusalem.[3]

Source: http://en.wikipedia....rd_I_of_England

Edited by Coffey, 07 March 2013 - 09:30 PM.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#123    Setton

Setton

Psychic Spy

• 1,570 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:03 PM

View PostCoffey, on 07 March 2013 - 09:30 PM, said:

Yes. Well done. Richard I of England was indeed from England...

That still does not validate your claim that the Church of England was responsible for a war hundreds of years before it was formed. Or if we go with your rather spurious definition, that Christianity in England was responsible a series of wars started by a Frenchman living in Rome.

Simple fact is, you plainly only know what films and TV say of the Crusades, not the actual history. Richard I was a relatively minor figure in the long run.

Edited by Setton, 07 March 2013 - 10:04 PM.

'No, murder is running your broadsword through someone because he worships a different God to you... Or is that evangelism? I get confused.'
When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed - They are not it.
I don't object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

#124    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:08 PM

View PostSetton, on 07 March 2013 - 10:03 PM, said:

Yes. Well done. Richard I of England was indeed from England...

That still does not validate your claim that the Church of England was responsible for a war hundreds of years before it was formed. Or if we go with your rather spurious definition, that Christianity in England was responsible a series of wars started by a Frenchman living in Rome.

Simple fact is, you plainly only know what films and TV say of the Crusades, not the actual history. Richard I was a relatively minor figure in the long run.

All you are doing is pathetically nit picking at what I BLATENTLY meant. That Christianity caused the crusades.... I didn't mena the literal church of England. The English where involved and so was Christianity.... No real difference. No need to be a smart ass... :rolleyes:

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#125    Setton

Setton

Psychic Spy

• 1,570 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:38 PM

View PostCoffey, on 07 March 2013 - 11:08 PM, said:

All you are doing is pathetically nit picking at what I BLATENTLY meant. That Christianity caused the crusades.... I didn't mena the literal church of England. The English where involved and so was Christianity.... No real difference. No need to be a smart ass... :rolleyes:

If what you meant was blatant, we wouldn't be having this conversation. And it wouldn't have confused people other than me. Regardless of what definitions you care to invent, there is a very real difference between the Church of England (words you used) and Christianity in England (what you apparently meant). Even with what you now say you meant, it's still not true as I said.

#126    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 10,273 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:11 AM

View PostKnight Of Shadows, on 06 March 2013 - 08:21 PM, said:

because it is hell at the moment
you did notice the (( in normal times )) didn't you ?

So how long ago were these "normal times"?

So if you are saying it is hell, but "sight seeing ain't bad too if you know where to go", can you recommend where?

You said  "if it is safety i'd say our countryside " in normal times " is more safer than England or France"  today is normal times to us now and no where near as dangerous as some parts of the middle east, so the comparison is silly. I could say that during the war it would have been safer in the Bronx than it was in England or France then.

please note: England and France begin with capitals.

#127    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 28,287 posts

• Paranoid Android... *whaa--*

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:49 AM

Again, the subject of the topic has wandered from Islam to other faiths.  Truth be told, I think this thread has run its course, asking us back on topic is just going to start the roundabout arguments again about Islam that we've already read time and again over the past 8 pages.  As such, I'm closing this thread,

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users