Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Apophis May Strike Earth in 2068

asteroids apophis neo impact

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,180 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:25 AM

Apophis May Strike Earth in 2068 - Scientists

RIA Novosti said:

MOSCOW, February 24 (RIA Novosti) - The 325-meter (1,066-foot) asteroid 99942 Apophis, that will safely fly by the Earth in 2029 and 2036, may strike the planet in 2068, according to an article published on the NASA website.

The chances of it striking Earth are slim, however, with impact odds being about 2.3 in a million.

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

Heh, so Isaac Newton's prediction would only be 8 years off (2060) .

But I don't think i will be around to see it happen. or I would be 111 years old, lol.

#3    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,180 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:47 AM

View PostAbramelin, on 02 March 2013 - 11:41 AM, said:

Heh, so Isaac Newton's prediction would only be 8 years off (2060) .

But I don't think i will be around to see it happen. or I would be 111 years old, lol.

Except that nothing is going to happen. With only a 1 in 2.3 million chance of it hitting (and it is highly likely that those odds will be reduced further still in the future) I don't think we can predict Armageddon just yet.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#4    Jeffertonturner

Jeffertonturner

Hero Squad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

• I may not be the smartest, or the best looking, or the most successful but...what was I saying? I'm depressed.

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 02 March 2013 - 11:47 AM, said:

Except that nothing is going to happen. With only a 1 in 2.3 million chance of it hitting (and it is highly likely that those odds will be reduced further still in the future) I don't think we can predict Armageddon just yet.
Oh we can predict it. We would just be most likely wrong. ;)

~Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while -and do whatever you want all the time -you can miss it.~

#5    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,518 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

Armageddon was on t.v last night (the film), great special effects.

2060 is ok, by then who knows what we will have to defend us, I am sure they will have found something, technology is growing every day.
If someone had told us we would be seeing pictures of other galaxy's so clearly today a few years back, many would have have classed it as pure fantasy.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#6    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,403 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:15 PM

One chance in 2.3 million eh?  Given that there will be maybe ten billion lives at risk, it deserves close attention.

I wonder what the odds are that I will be around in 2060.  A lot smaller.

#7    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 1,612 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:38 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 02 March 2013 - 02:15 PM, said:

I wonder what the odds are that I will be around in 2060.  A lot smaller.

No worries frank we can just cryogenically freeze you,then bring you back just to see the end lol

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#8    drewiduk

drewiduk

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 13 posts

• "God's gonna sit this one out"

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:40 PM

Personally, I think this needs to happen. We have become a parasite on the planet and nature is due a cleanse

#9    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,403 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:42 PM

Use something else; I'm Vietnamese and don't like cold.

I think the point I wanted to make was way too subtle, and so got missed.  We automatically think of our personal risk when we hear such a thing, and then dismiss it if its far enough in the future for us to be dead.  The future of humanity is the real issue.

#10    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 1,612 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:54 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 02 March 2013 - 02:42 PM, said:

Use something else; I'm Vietnamese and don't like cold.

I think the point I wanted to make was way too subtle, and so got missed.  We automatically think of our personal risk when we hear such a thing, and then dismiss it if its far enough in the future for us to be dead.  The future of humanity is the real issue.

I got your point frank most do not think about the futures risks.We gullibly believe our technology by then will be powerful enough to overcome anything,so we do not have to worry about it in the present time.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#11    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 7,518 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:23 PM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 02 March 2013 - 02:54 PM, said:

I got your point frank most do not think about the futures risks.We gullibly believe our technology by then will be powerful enough to overcome anything,so we do not have to worry about it in the present time.
Not sure if gullible is the right word, I really believe the technology would be there to protect us to a certain extent, but thats only because i know man will keep trying to build the equipment to do this...
Whether it will be sufficient enough, we just do not know that.
We also do not know how the "good" will compete against the "bad", it is this bit which I think is why many people are unsure how to feel about it, its not so much not having to worry about it in the present, its not wanting to worry about the future when we have one side telling us about the wonders of technology and the other side telling us about the threats.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#12    Chooky88

Chooky88

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

I'll be 99,going out with a bang!

#13    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 1,612 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:04 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 02 March 2013 - 03:23 PM, said:

Not sure if gullible is the right word, I really believe the technology would be there to protect us to a certain extent, but thats only because i know man will keep trying to build the equipment to do this...
Whether it will be sufficient enough, we just do not know that.
We also do not know how the "good" will compete against the "bad", it is this bit which I think is why many people are unsure how to feel about it, its not so much not having to worry about it in the present, its not wanting to worry about the future when we have one side telling us about the wonders of technology and the other side telling us about the threats.

I know what you are saying free,i just meant the general population of people who wonder around in a daze with their biggest worry about the future being if their next cell phone will have certain options or not lol.

#14    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 7,518 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:53 PM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 02 March 2013 - 04:04 PM, said:

I know what you are saying free,i just meant the general population of people who wonder around in a daze with their biggest worry about the future being if their next cell phone will have certain options or not lol.
yep, I know what you mean. And they are the same people that when the networks go down do not have a clue what to do next....apart from panic. "future? what future? I have  tweeter and facebook to post on, I have no time to worry about the future!" Posted Image

Edited by freetoroam, 02 March 2013 - 04:53 PM.

#15    shrooma

shrooma

doesn't have one screw fully tightened.....

• 3,570 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:17 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 02 March 2013 - 04:53 PM, said:

the people that when the networks go down do not have a clue what to do next....apart from panic. "future? what future? I have  tweeter and facebook to post on
people?!
that's stretching the definition to breaking point, surely??
;-)

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on due to your lack of understanding.

Also tagged with asteroids, apophis, neo, impact

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users