Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Bunnies implicated in Neanderthals demise

bunnies demise neanderthals john fa

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:16 PM

Doesn't matter how clever you are at catching something if you think anything with fur or feathers are too cute to kill. You might just die of starvation; if the climate is crap and your neighbors are crazy. :P

Edited by Jinxdom, 03 March 2013 - 09:18 PM.

#17    highdesert50

highdesert50

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:13 PM

Neanderthal brains are thought to have been as large, or larger, as that of humans and they were stronger. So, I question the hypothesis regarding hunting skills and adaptability to dealing with small game animals. Perhaps a more likely cause for the demise of Neanderthals was related to disease brought upon by the migrating humans. Certainly there are parallels that occurred in more recent history when Europeans decimated native populations with diseases for which they held no immunity.

#18    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Spectating

• 4,729 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:36 AM

Rabbits pwned Neanderthals...

#19    Starseed hybrid 1111

Starseed hybrid 1111

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 326 posts

• "Take the Red Matrix pill" be your own authentic self neo

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:38 AM

i don't believe that.hunting animals in my opinion is wrong and this goes to to hunters who enjoy this as a sport.put yourself in their situation.how would you like people hunting you as a sport?i bet and most likely would say and think i don't like that especially for their entertainment and ours.all life is precious and valueble.let nature decide that and handle that nature knows what she is doing!!!humans can help and its not by killing animals for our entainment or consumptions i know for a fact.that's just really disgusting  and if you people had a heart and conscious you would know that.i seen one time when they kill pigs in mexico to eat and by stabbing the animal in the heart and the pig is sqealing and running around in pain and agonizing not a pretty sight or sound and i feel bad for that pig.also blood coming out

#20    draugr

draugr

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 50 posts

• It's a secret to everybody.

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:12 AM

Um, what about population control?  And as a food source?  Because that's why we hunt in my family.  My stepfather is big into wildlife management, and I'd much rather have fresh deer than the pink slime crap you get at the supermarket.  If you think it's solely for ~killing the innocent animals for entertainment~, seriously check up on WMAs and the stats on people who feed their families like that.

And I say that as a person who has a pet rabbit.

Edited by draugr, 04 March 2013 - 01:12 AM.

#21    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,245 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:16 AM

Damn evil fluffy sociopaths .....

Miss me?

#22    coolguy

coolguy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:43 AM

I call this bull yes they did hunt rabbits..

#23    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• 1,751 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:28 PM

View Postcoolguy, on 04 March 2013 - 02:43 AM, said:

I call this bull yes they did hunt rabbits..
Me too. They had plenty of cardboard boxes and string back in the day!

Posted Image

#24    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,544 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:44 PM

The main reason I think I don't often eat rabbit meat is that I never see it at the stores, although I know a few farmers who raise them for the meat.  I guess the economics of the business just doesn't pay.

#25    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,032 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 04 March 2013 - 12:44 PM, said:

The main reason I think I don't often eat rabbit meat is that I never see it at the stores, although I know a few farmers who raise them for the meat.  I guess the economics of the business just doesn't pay.

Actually the economics aren't that bad, and rabbit meat is surprisingly good... They breed very quickly, have large litters and their feed is no more expensive than cattle feed and they don't eat as much...  The problems with it are each rabbit pretty much needs it's own area, they can dig out so the area needs to be escape proof, and the public isn't use to seeing rabbit meat on the menu - so the market is small...

#26    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Spectating

• 4,729 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:02 PM

I always though to much rabbit was a bad thing anyway...

http://en.wikipedia....bbit_starvation

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

#27    chopmo

chopmo

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 338 posts

• aaaah rabble rabble rabble rabble

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

So a neandethal couldn't throw a rock?

#28    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• 1,339 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

View PostAndromedan Starseed 333, on 04 March 2013 - 12:38 AM, said:

i don't believe that.hunting animals in my opinion is wrong and this goes to to hunters who enjoy this as a sport.put yourself in their situation.how would you like people hunting you as a sport?i bet and most likely would say and think i don't like that especially for their entertainment and ours.all life is precious and valueble.let nature decide that and handle that nature knows what she is doing!!!humans can help and its not by killing animals for our entainment or consumptions i know for a fact.that's just really disgusting  and if you people had a heart and conscious you would know that.i seen one time when they kill pigs in mexico to eat and by stabbing the animal in the heart and the pig is sqealing and running around in pain and agonizing not a pretty sight or sound and i feel bad for that pig.also blood coming out

Well i hunt and enjoy it.I always eat what i kill,as has already been said it is much healthier to eat deer meat than almost any other store bought meat.As far as letting nature take care of it,you just said "let nature decide that and handle that nature knows what she is doing!Humans can help and its not by killing animals for our entertainment or consumptions i know this for a fact" what the hell does that mean?I do not believe in killing just for entertainment,but hunting for food hell yes i do.If we didnt cull overpopulated species we would be over run with sick diseased animals.Well i cant speak for how people in mexico take their next meal,but when i hunt it is 1 shot 1 kill.Man has been eating animals since the begining of our time,i consider being a vegetarian unnatural and goofy,just because i think it doesnt make it true lol

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#29    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,544 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:22 PM

I think maybe the point is that the Neanderthals, while they may have looked pretty much like homo sapiens, were not homo sapiens.  If you look at the standard Neanderthal "toolbox" of tools they made that you find associated with their remains, it stayed very much the same for several hundred thousand years.  This is conservative.  If reflects a species inability to change hardly at all, so it might be that creature they did not recognize as being food just simply were never so recognized.

#30    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,544 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:30 PM

Any killing of anything, for food or otherwise, is wrong.  It is just that starving yourself is also wrong.  There are big wrongs and small wrongs and in-between wrongs, and we all have to make our decisions.

I am not a vegetarian.  I eat fish and poultry and a few other more bizarre things, but most of my diet is vegetarian.  Do I think it is wrong for others to eat meat?  Well, yes, but cutting off a bit of asparagus is also killing, and therefore wrong, but, as things go, not a very bad wrong.  It is even better if the animal as a result lives better than if it weren't our prey -- either because of domestication and humane treatment or because culling has become a necessity to prevent serious wild suffering.

Westerners have this stupid idea of sin -- if something is wrong it is as sin and all sin is condemned.  This is an absurd notion.  Wrongs come in a scale of wrongness -- lying is wrong but so is telling the truth if it hurts someone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users