Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery light

Belial

Tasmanian police and firefighters are unable to explain the source of a beam of light which reportedly fell from the sky and formed a circle of fire in a Hobart suburb.

Early yesterday morning police and fire crews received calls from concerned residents in Carnegie Street at Claremont, who reported seeing a bright light igniting a fire in a nearby paddock.

Tasmania Fire Service officer Scott Vinen says the blaze was quickly put out, leaving an obvious burnt patch.

He says the bizarre incident has everyone baffled.

"Once we put the fire out, we kind of walked through the fire and tried to find something," he said.

"We thought a flare or something may have landed there, but we couldn't find any cause."

The Fire Service says it will not investigate further.

Image within link

http://au.news.yahoo.com/queensland/a/-/latest/16283446/mysterious-light-blamed-for-circle-of-fire/

Edited by Belial
  • Like 1

No one mentioned lightning and i think they would have said so?

Another report at odds with the resultant trace evidence, burnt patch of ground but certainly not a circle - not even sure this 'circle of fire' was actually seen.

Look at the picture of the circle. That grass is exceptionally dry, they are lucky the fire was only a small area, and not a HUGE problem. No matter where the light came from, (I suspect heat lightning)(I know heat lightning isn't actually a true phenomenon, but it is part of the remnants of storms), they got extremely lucky.

Edited by ancient astronaut

Not sure how the fire depts operate in Tasmania, but typically wildlands firefighters go on high alert when lightning or "dry lightning" threatens. And, I would imagine weather would have been mentioned as a potential cause. Often, in small fires as depicted, the source is identifiable, such as a cigarette butt. But, again, nothing of the obvious was mentioned. So, what remains is the potential for spontaneous combustion or given the "beam of light," I will go to the extreme and offer the suggestion of a bit of space debris.

• Like 1

Big mystery based on the fire department's unwillingness to waste a lot of time finding the cause of a minor fire. Odds are they missed the burnt matchstick among all the other burnt sticks.

• Like 1

Highly likely it was kids playing with matches. Unless you believe in space based LASER weapons or alien pranksters.

We can obviously assign a prosaic cause to this incident, if we ignore the reports of a beam of light from the sky. A small meteorite comes to mind, but one substantial enough to create a conspicuously bright beam of light should have left some sort of crater, at least a small one, shouldn't it? This was not reported.

Maybe a crop circle in the making, but there was a malfunction, and the energy beam used to make it became too strong; strong enough to set fire to the grass. Small burned areas have been noted in crop circles before. The fact that the burned area was not perfectly round does not seem to be significant. Once the fire started, it would presumably spread somewhat irregularly, on its own.

Edited by bison

From what I understand.it does not have to be cloudy or even remotely stormy in order for there to be lightning.

Furthermore lightning doesn't always need to be in the form of a solid bolt either.

For all we know it could have even been a tiny speck of dust from space that somehow survived the plunge into our atmosphere, surviving just long enough to be just a small ball of hot gasses before it hit the ground.

• Like 1

Most Tasmanians can probably identify a bolt of lightning, and distinguish it from a beam of light. They likely can recognize a shooting star, too, which is what a small meteor looks like. 'Sheet lightning' or 'heat lightning' are terms for a bolt of lightning which occurs beyond the horizon or is obscured by clouds. The light is reflected from or diffused by clouds and seems to fill the sky. This doesn't look like a beam of light, either.

If it was a death ray, I want one. And if there really is a death ray weapon, it would replace my current theory that there is no problem that cannot be resolved with a rocket launcher.

• Like 1

I love it when strange things like this happen.

i love mysteries and the unexplained and etc.It sounds like a ufo to me.reasons for thinking for that is sounds like it wanted to create a crop circle and maybe was interupted early.because a light from the sky sounds to me a lot like a ufo and alien.that's my opinion and answer at the moment and im sticking with it.so skepticsid they reply to this by saying something else i don't care i consider other explainations myself but like i said i go with my first answer and gut feeling.so i don't care what you say.it's not a plane because planes don't stop in mid-air or cannot stopp in mid air bacause they will fall down.helicopters could be but i believe people would recognize a helicopter it don't take a rocket scientist to know that

My first post and my take on this is that it could be sort of solar flare.

If you imagine the burnt area as a generally undistorted circle that expanded upon ignition of the grass and note the dimensions/size relative to what the sun would appear to be in the sky at the time, the grass plain acted as a mirror that simply got hot enough to burn the grass.

Solar flare or other wise a small collapse of distance between Sun and Earth - a form of a worm hole.

If this is the case then we can expect to see a few more interesting events in the not too distant future

Rational:

The sun is currently at it's solar maximum and is disturbingly inactive for this regular recorded phase.

The Earth is showing signs of over heating promotng a significant upward trend in earthquake data as magma pressures build and release, which leads to evidence of a fluctuating gravitational constant thus caussing the over heating effect and pronblems with solar stability and dimensional space distance of separation.

I post the above as I am curious as to other posters reactions to such a seemingly bizzar set of thoughts on this issue.

Great forum by the way, am going to enjoy readng through the huge diversity of thought and opinion.

*Please ignore any links in this post as they would have been placed theree by a virus either in the browser or attached somehow to this forum.

Edited by ozziemate

My first post and my take on this is that it could be sort of solar flare.

If you imagine the burnt area as a generally undistorted circle that expanded upon ignition of the grass and note the dimensions/size relative to what the sun would appear to be in the sky at the time, the grass plain acted as a mirror that simply got hot enough to burn the grass.

Solar flare or other wise a small collapse of distance between Sun and Earth - a form of a worm hole.

If this is the case then we can expect to see a few more interesting events in the not too distant future

Rational:

The sun is currently at it's solar maximum and is disturbingly inactive for this regular recorded phase.

The Earth is showing signs of over heating promotng a significant upward trend in earthquake data as magma pressures build and release, which leads to evidence of a fluctuating gravitational constant thus caussing the over heating effect and pronblems with solar stability and dimensional space distance of separation.

I post the above as I am curious as to other posters reactions to such a seemingly bizzar set of thoughts on this issue.

Great forum by the way, am going to enjoy readng through the huge diversity of thought and opinion.

*Please ignore any links in this post as they would have been placed theree by a virus either in the browser or attached somehow to this forum.

Welcome to the group, ozziemate. Your explanation for the 'circle of fire' in Tasmania is highly original. I don't believe I've ever heard anyone suggest that a solar flare could start a grass fire. Edited by bison
  • Like 1

It could be a light shone through a magnifying glass and concentrated towards a circle of grass which has been oil soaked which would cause only that circle of grass to go up in flames. Or it could have been an alien shooting a laser at the grass to make the grass pay for being greener than himself. :yes:

Someone needs to water down some bubble bath beads on the spot

• Like 1

Teenage bigfoots were smoking cigs.

• Like 2

We have some reports of a light in the sky and then a small grass fire. Wow!

One word can sum this event up...... ALIENS!

• Like 2

Angel farts.

uh-oh....someone's gonna be not amused by the avatar you chose.... ;)
  • Like 3