Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Genetically modified foods,— who has to tell?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:55 PM

Consumers who believe they have a "right to know" whether their food contains genetically modified ingredients are pressing lawmakers, regulators and voters to require labels on altered foods. But even if they succeed, experts say there's no guarantee that labels identifying genetically engineered foods would ever appear on packages. "People are usually surprised to learn that there is no legal right to know," said Michael Rodemeyer, an expert on biotechnology policy at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville. A variety of rules and regulations control the words that appear on food packages. Such rules must be balanced against companies' constitutionally protected right of commercial speech, experts said. "It's an unsettled area in the law," said Hank Greely, director of the Stanford Center for Law and the Biosciences in Palo Alto. "If I were a betting man, I think the odds are good that the Supreme Court would ... strike down a GMO labeling requirement."

http://phys.org/news...ally-foods.html

#2    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,509 posts

• We're more Ceefax people.

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:01 PM

But if a label claims the product is GM free, then they must be able to prove that, right? Otherwise it's false.

Posted Image

#3    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:25 PM

View PostQueen in the North, on 03 March 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

But if a label claims the product is GM free, then they must be able to prove that, right? Otherwise it's false.

I guess that's why the US prefers not to label.

#4    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,249 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:28 AM

I forget exact numbers now. Kevin Trudeau had it in his book ,but packaged food is allowed something like thirty things that do not need labeling,including feces,insects ,etc etc,that end up in processed foods .
They want to put aspartame in milk and dairy products now ,with no need to label it .
Unreal

Miss me?

#5    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:54 AM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 04 March 2013 - 01:28 AM, said:

I forget exact numbers now. Kevin Trudeau had it in his book ,but packaged food is allowed something like thirty things that do not need labeling,including feces,insects ,etc etc,that end up in processed foods .
They want to put aspartame in milk and dairy products now ,with no need to label it .
Unreal

So weird, in the EU it's evident to label all of it. Ok, insects are mostly labeled with codes, but the meaning of these codes are public knowledge so.

#6    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:05 AM

Organic food has strict guidelines to be certified as organic. Im glad that organic farmers do not complain about these extra oversights on there products because they know when that cost gets added at the market the customer happily pays the extra to know there food passes spec.

just an example of how the process looks like at the consumers end:

http://www.organic.o...cle/article-201

Edited by AsteroidX, 04 March 2013 - 09:07 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users