Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Why is the bible not to be questioned?


  • Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#106    IamsSon

IamsSon

    Unobservable Matter

  • Member
  • 11,860 posts
  • Joined:01 Jul 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Houston, TX

  • “If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough.” ~ Albert Einstein

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:10 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 07 March 2013 - 08:55 PM, said:

A character in a set of books.
So, the character who claimed to be the way the truth and the life; the only way to God.  That guy?

"But then with me that horrid doubt always arises whether the convictions of man's mind which has been developed from the mind of the lower animals, are of any value or at all trustworthy. Would any one trust in the convictions of a monkey's mind, if there are any convictions in such a mind?" - Charles Darwin, in a letter to William Graham on July 3, 1881

#107    Sherapy

Sherapy

    Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

  • Member
  • 21,730 posts
  • Joined:14 Jun 2005
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:At the Beach-- San Pedro, California

  • "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" (Freud )

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:27 PM

View PostParanoid Android, on 07 March 2013 - 02:54 AM, said:

For the most part I agree with that article.  The only point I disagree with (and it is minor) is the following:  anyone from any ethnic background can convert to Judaism and become chosen.  Because I believe God's chosen people have extended already beyond the Jews and into the Gentile population via Jesus, my only real issue with the entire premise is that I would amend this to say anyone from any ethnic background can convert to Christianity and become chosen.  The rest, I like the idea that coming closer to God highlights our own insignificance in this mighty universe of ours and thus is not egocentric to believe in a chosen people.

That said, I am uncertain how this fits in with the comment I made about Abraham.  This site compliments my position nicely, so if you were attempting to back me up then I guess I should thank you for that :tu:

~ Regards, PA

I was indeed adding to what you were saying, it was a great call on your part,it shows me how you see things and I like it.
I too love the part of growing closer to g-d means dropping arrogance and growing in humility. I like the idea in general to be honest.

Edited by Sherapy, 07 March 2013 - 11:28 PM.




#108    Sherapy

Sherapy

    Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

  • Member
  • 21,730 posts
  • Joined:14 Jun 2005
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:At the Beach-- San Pedro, California

  • "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" (Freud )

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:31 PM

View PostIamsSon, on 07 March 2013 - 05:37 PM, said:

Who is asking you to accept the Bible as your idol?  I certainly am not.

The thing is, if you have any question about whether Jesus's teachings are garbled then why would you "revere" him?  Based on what?

Gosh, I think one can respect another, hold their message in high regard, and at the same question them. In fact, I think Jesus would welcome this. It keeps one humble. IMO

Edited by Sherapy, 07 March 2013 - 11:32 PM.




#109    euroninja

euroninja

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Joined:10 Apr 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • John 14:16
    Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the father, but by me.

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:44 PM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 07 March 2013 - 06:51 PM, said:

There is nothing seperating us at all from God the Father if we just believe!
Why do you consider yourself a Christian? It seems to me you question Christ's authority that He's the only way.

Man plans and God laughs.

#110    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 10,695 posts
  • Joined:12 Jul 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

  • Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

    Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:09 AM

View PostIamsSon, on 07 March 2013 - 10:10 PM, said:

So, the character who claimed to be the way the truth and the life; the only way to God.  That guy?
Mabey he claimed it Mabey he diddnt, Mabey he said it in jest and Somone took it out of context, Mabey he was speaking a higher truth that simple humans don't understand, maby Somone interjected into the scripture for proprietary purposes, Mabey he said it and was a megalomaniac.... I don't know. Im not a literalist. Infact, I happen to believe that I am the way the truth and the light, but I would not expect a Christian to understand that. So if the base for Jesus said it I suspect he ment something far more profound than the average person is aware of. Spiritual teachers tend to do that. But really I don't have a clue because it was 2,000 years ago and I wasn't there.

I'm also skeptical as to context and meaning. In some Asian languages "the way" also translates into "the road",  the truth could have ment something like I'm speaking the truth, and the light might be a reference to fire. He could have ment something like "here I'll show the best way to start a fire". I don't think that is true in this case, but I have studied enough foreign languages to realize that contextual differences in languages is very difficult to analyze even for a scholar especially 2000 years removed away from the actual spoken language.

A good example is Shakespeare. Shakespeare is written in early modern English and verse. You seriously have to study Shakespeare to understand what is going on just by reading it, and early modern English is very similar to modern english. Now separate a completely different language by 2000 years.... Sheesh.

try to translate   "that's hella cool man"  into mandarin by translating the exact words. A mandrin speaker might think you were talking about a cold man in hell. Now 2000 years ago the concept of hell can have a completely different meaning. "Hell" could mean an underworld, or a fiery pit filled with impish creatures, or the new meaning for "hell" is spiritual death... A mandarin speaker under that context might think you were talking about a cold death... Or even freezing to death. That's almost the opposite from what you ment.  I'm no linguist, but im very sceptical that context can be preserved in writtiing over two millennia.

"dar mak in the hills at tanagra.... Dar mak his eyes open". ;) ;) ;) Go Picard ;)

Edited by Seeker79, 08 March 2013 - 01:45 AM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#111    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

    ????????

  • 24,809 posts
  • Joined:17 Apr 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sydney

  • Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:45 AM

View Postbraveone2u, on 07 March 2013 - 01:31 PM, said:

Hello Paranoid Android,

I understand your reasoning when it comes to the universe (because you are probably looking at it through the frailty of our flesh, but our ETERNAL soul is something else); however, does humility have something to do with feeling insignificant? Does it sound logical to make a person feel insignificant when your intention is for him or her to come closer to you, and have a loving and respectful relationship with you?

Peace.
I think you are taking "insignificant" far more negatively than I intended.  In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with admitting that God is infinitely greater than we are.  It is a sign of humility to take a step back and acknowledge the wonder of the universe, and for us who believe in an eternal God, to acknowledge that God is awesome and great and created us.  That is the entire basis behind the biblical edict to "fear God".  There are over 22 words and variations of words that are used in the Bible that are translated as "fear".  Only one of these words is ever used in the context of fearing God.  The underlining meaning of this word is the fear that one experiences in the face of something awesome and unique and amazing.  A modern example would be the type of fear an athlete may experience before running out for the FIFA World Cup Final, or the Gold Medal match of an Olympics event.  The uniqueness of this event as you walk out into the stadium, all the lights are on you, you may be overwhelmed by the magnitude of what you are doing.  It is this same fear that we are to think of when thinking of fearing God.  It's not a fear as in terror or dread or fright.

To think of God other than the awesome creator of everything is to diminish who he is, in my estimation.  We can still have love and respect for God while still acknowledging that he is God the Creator.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#112    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

  • Member
  • 3,314 posts
  • Joined:21 Jun 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:on the ground

  • The greatest story ever told is Your story.

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:33 AM

View Posteuroninja, on 07 March 2013 - 11:44 PM, said:

Why do you consider yourself a Christian? It seems to me you question Christ's authority that He's the only way.

I am a christian because I know that he is the way, ive experienced the power of accepting 'his way', being born again, filled with the holy spirit, changing my life dramatically and through that coming close to god.. I have also witnessed hundereds of other people come to god in this way so I know indeed he is the way. I have also experienced a restriction to the growth in my own spirituality by adhering to certain precepts taught in the chistian churches I have experienced, as well as the mindset of many (not all!) Christians I come across. I am a christian because and I believe in the POWER of God and understand that he is a mystery. I have decided not to let my title restrict my spiritual growth.

I also feel that titles do not last for eternity and at some point we will not need to differentiate ourselves with titles, as a matter of fact I dont NEED to do it now, but I continue to do so to represent the truest way I know how. I really dont see a lot of people getting close to god through another source but who am I to say that they cannot. The only people I really deal with are christians and athiests, we know the athiest arent finding god, a couple of buddhist I know, they arent finding God and since i already know him i couldn't become a buddhist, no offense to them, i can learn some good principles from them and ponder some other interesting ideas but i cannot claim a route that does not honor or recognize God, that is just not for me. But thats not to say that is the correct way for them. I know a muslim that is closer to God, way closer and more in the spirit than most christians i know...

Getting to know christ exposed me to a higher understanding and in my opinion there is nothing he is incapable of, i think most people even christians cannot comprehend the full picture if whats happening in the spiritual, as a matter of fact i found that learning about other spiritualities (which i have not done a lot of) deepened my understanding of who christ is. And so that is why i think other spiritualities don't have issues with christianity as a religion but only with the attitudes of a lot of christian people and how they react to others.

Anyway.. thats why im a christian...  I really dont know much about anything, so I personally have no authority over truth, the way and the life... I just know about my truth, way and life, I put all power in the hands of god and know that he will reveal what needs to be revealed to each of his children in whatever way it needs to be shown to them.

Edited by SpiritWriter, 08 March 2013 - 06:45 AM.

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#113    No-thingBornPassion

No-thingBornPassion

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts
  • Joined:16 Jan 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • (Christian) Gnosticism also has the Holy Spirit, Christ(os), Jesus, LOVE...and God.

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:12 AM

View PostParanoid Android, on 08 March 2013 - 05:45 AM, said:

I think you are taking "insignificant" far more negatively than I intended.  In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with admitting that God is infinitely greater than we are.  It is a sign of humility to take a step back and acknowledge the wonder of the universe, and for us who believe in an eternal God, to acknowledge that God is awesome and great and created us.  That is the entire basis behind the biblical edict to "fear God".  There are over 22 words and variations of words that are used in the Bible that are translated as "fear".  Only one of these words is ever used in the context of fearing God.  The underlining meaning of this word is the fear that one experiences in the face of something awesome and unique and amazing.  A modern example would be the type of fear an athlete may experience before running out for the FIFA World Cup Final, or the Gold Medal match of an Olympics event.  The uniqueness of this event as you walk out into the stadium, all the lights are on you, you may be overwhelmed by the magnitude of what you are doing.  It is this same fear that we are to think of when thinking of fearing God.  It's not a fear as in terror or dread or fright.

To think of God other than the awesome creator of everything is to diminish who he is, in my estimation.  We can still have love and respect for God while still acknowledging that he is God the Creator.
Hi PA,

Absolutely, "insignificant" has a negative connotation in our English language, especially when you're talking about a love relationship. Thing is, you're seeing this through the lens of a corporeal being with all its limitations intact, but God/Jesus Christ is divinity, of the spirit -- not fleshy substance. Therefore, adjectives, such as huge, grand, small, awesome, minute, etc., are invalid when you're dealing with a "no thing" reality. Our soul is not a thing, as well. It has no earthly substance; nevertheless, it is real. Yet, we need words to describe the indescribable, and I'm seeing this as a person who has come back from the dead (physically)...

Yes, you are right about fearing God. I understand why some people fear God. This fear came to me when I realized that it's so easy to be swept away from God's "unconditional love" presence and end up in a place of unfathomable darkness -- Void. It happened to me, even though I've always been a good person, or at least, I have tried to be good and just, and yet, I still ended up in the Void. Over the years, I have come to understand that this particular predicament or incident was not God's doing. I believe that my free will caused my slipping away. To me, Hell is to be far away from the emanation of God. I believe now that Jesus Christ was the One who has saved me from that Void, even though I did not see His face. His powerful "unconditional love" vibe stayed with me through the years  -- enough to guide me back to my Christian root after years of being a kundalini master, meditation "teacher" (with a "proper" ancient lineage).

Mind you, I'm not saying that other paths are not valid. Christianity, my ancestors' religion, has finally been ingrained in my heart -- that's the difference. I'm following my soul's longing. After the Void, I went through this deep soul searching while at the same time I was still a conduit or meditation "teacher." I was torn to pieces. (Who said spirituality and changes are easy??) It took all these years and many hardships and further signs from the Holy Spirit for this massive reconversion to happen.

I don't fear God, on the other hand, because of His grand or awesome nature. In fact, I expect God to be amazing with all His accoutrement blazing right before my very eyes. Again, those adjectives don't inspire fear in my being, just the other way around. Besides, in my generation, He has never been a show off to the outside world, as in "Behold, I am God, check this out."


In the void, that magnificent "Light" was a much welcomed "reality" to behold. I felt like a child again crying out to my father/mother. That "love" was so out of this world that an awareness came to me that invisible tears were falling down from my invisible soul. It was such an unforgettable, unique experience.  Redemption came to my awareness after that. Again, a true divine being has this "unconditional love" quality, a love that is beyond compare -- it emanates. Not only that, it's all consuming. Feeling insignificant will never come to your mind in that situation, believe me.

You are right. Of course, God is beyond our comprehension. "O magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt his name together." That's a given, and I do understand where you're coming from on this, PA. The context that we are talking about, however, is the grace (invitation) to come closer to God and have a relationship with Him. Surely, it would be a cruel gesture on His part to make a person feel insignificant if He invited him or her to have a loving, respectful relationship with Him, don't you agree?

To be "invited" is to be exalted, unless you're Kevin Spacey in House of Cards.

Peace to you, Paranoid Android.

Edited by braveone2u, 08 March 2013 - 09:04 AM.

https://www.youtube....ix3pVUX86yBWWzS  (playlist)

Distinguish between spin doctoring and truth. Keep in mind that truth is ALMOST impossible to figure out when it comes to ancient holy book.

#114    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

    Often Unsatisfactory

  • Member
  • 23,732 posts
  • Joined:09 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hammerfest

  • Vampires are people too.

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:19 AM

View PostParanoid Android, on 08 March 2013 - 05:45 AM, said:

I think you are taking "insignificant" far more negatively than I intended.  In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with admitting that God is infinitely greater than we are.  It is a sign of humility to take a step back and acknowledge the wonder of the universe, and for us who believe in an eternal God, to acknowledge that God is awesome and great and created us.  That is the entire basis behind the biblical edict to "fear God".  There are over 22 words and variations of words that are used in the Bible that are translated as "fear".  Only one of these words is ever used in the context of fearing God.  The underlining meaning of this word is the fear that one experiences in the face of something awesome and unique and amazing.  A modern example would be the type of fear an athlete may experience before running out for the FIFA World Cup Final, or the Gold Medal match of an Olympics event.  The uniqueness of this event as you walk out into the stadium, all the lights are on you, you may be overwhelmed by the magnitude of what you are doing.  It is this same fear that we are to think of when thinking of fearing God.  It's not a fear as in terror or dread or fright.

To think of God other than the awesome creator of everything is to diminish who he is, in my estimation.  We can still have love and respect for God while still acknowledging that he is God the Creator.
I know what you mean; it gives you a sense of perspective, something that's sadly lacking in many people these days.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.


Posted Image


#115    euroninja

euroninja

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Joined:10 Apr 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • John 14:16
    Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the father, but by me.

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

View Postbraveone2u, on 08 March 2013 - 08:12 AM, said:

Hi PA,

Absolutely, "insignificant" has a negative connotation in our English language, especially when you're talking about a love relationship. Thing is, you're seeing this through the lens of a corporeal being with all its limitations intact, but God/Jesus Christ is divinity, of the spirit -- not fleshy substance. Therefore, adjectives, such as huge, grand, small, awesome, minute, etc., are invalid when you're dealing with a "no thing" reality. Our soul is not a thing, as well. It has no earthly substance; nevertheless, it is real. Yet, we need words to describe the indescribable, and I'm seeing this as a person who has come back from the dead (physically)...

Yes, you are right about fearing God. I understand why some people fear God. This fear came to me when I realized that it's so easy to be swept away from God's "unconditional love" presence and end up in a place of unfathomable darkness -- Void. It happened to me, even though I've always been a good person, or at least, I have tried to be good and just, and yet, I still ended up in the Void. Over the years, I have come to understand that this particular predicament or incident was not God's doing. I believe that my free will caused my slipping away. To me, Hell is to be far away from the emanation of God. I believe now that Jesus Christ was the One who has saved me from that Void, even though I did not see His face. His powerful "unconditional love" vibe stayed with me through the years  -- enough to guide me back to my Christian root after years of being a kundalini master, meditation "teacher" (with a "proper" ancient lineage).

Mind you, I'm not saying that other paths are not valid. Christianity, my ancestors' religion, has finally been ingrained in my heart -- that's the difference. I'm following my soul's longing. After the Void, I went through this deep soul searching while at the same time I was still a conduit or meditation "teacher." I was torn to pieces. (Who said spirituality and changes are easy??) It took all these years and many hardships and further signs from the Holy Spirit for this massive reconversion to happen.

I don't fear God, on the other hand, because of His grand or awesome nature. In fact, I expect God to be amazing with all His accoutrement blazing right before my very eyes. Again, those adjectives don't inspire fear in my being, just the other way around. Besides, in my generation, He has never been a show off to the outside world, as in "Behold, I am God, check this out."


In the void, that magnificent "Light" was a much welcomed "reality" to behold. I felt like a child again crying out to my father/mother. That "love" was so out of this world that an awareness came to me that invisible tears were falling down from my invisible soul. It was such an unforgettable, unique experience.  Redemption came to my awareness after that. Again, a true divine being has this "unconditional love" quality, a love that is beyond compare -- it emanates. Not only that, it's all consuming. Feeling insignificant will never come to your mind in that situation, believe me.

You are right. Of course, God is beyond our comprehension. "O magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt his name together." That's a given, and I do understand where you're coming from on this, PA. The context that we are talking about, however, is the grace (invitation) to come closer to God and have a relationship with Him. Surely, it would be a cruel gesture on His part to make a person feel insignificant if He invited him or her to have a loving, respectful relationship with Him, don't you agree?

To be "invited" is to be exalted, unless you're Kevin Spacey in House of Cards.

Peace to you, Paranoid Android.
This is deep. The void scares me................... You had an nde?

Man plans and God laughs.

#116    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

  • Member
  • 3,314 posts
  • Joined:21 Jun 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:on the ground

  • The greatest story ever told is Your story.

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:54 PM

Amen people

<3<3

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#117    No-thingBornPassion

No-thingBornPassion

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts
  • Joined:16 Jan 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • (Christian) Gnosticism also has the Holy Spirit, Christ(os), Jesus, LOVE...and God.

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:26 PM

Hi Euroninja,

I believe the last one was a Lazarus Syndrome, but the other 2 were NDEs. The last one really rocked my world, and here's a link:

http://www.unexplain...0

Peace.

https://www.youtube....ix3pVUX86yBWWzS  (playlist)

Distinguish between spin doctoring and truth. Keep in mind that truth is ALMOST impossible to figure out when it comes to ancient holy book.

#118    Copen

Copen

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Joined:15 May 2011

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:25 PM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 06 March 2013 - 01:12 AM, said:

I studied the bible for 10+ years ferverently. I thoroughly enjoyed bible study all those years and as a matter of fact it was one if my greatest passions . Some of the bible made me ill - physically ill as i am a very sensitive person, and deep prayer would sometimes make my head hurt so bad it felt like my head would explode. I forced myself to assume everything i was reading lined up with god and therefore it transformed my heart in outstanding ways and indeed is very spiritual. Some parts however i still could not quite align myself with and it is even harder for me to do so now.  

Reading your posts, it seems that you are first coming from the disadvantage point of the universal teachings of the majority of Christian churches. That is that man has a free will and God wants you to choose Him by first learning about Him and then accepting and believing in Jesus - - thus adding to the blindness you were already experiencing and contrary to what the Bible actually teaches. You experience alone should teach you that trying to study the word without having a personal EXPERIENCE in the reality of God/Jesus first brings about confusion, and sometimes rebellion, because you are actually blind until He calls you.

Saul, later named Paul, was as learned as any. It was not until he EXPERIENCED Jesus on the road to Damascus that he automatically bowed to Him and scales fell off his eyes. Proving once again in scripture that a person is blind until he/she EXPERIENCES a supernatural call or revelation from God. Only then does the truth in scripture make sense and contradictions start to be eliminated. So, the answer to your question of why does anyone believe the Bible is true: it first comes by meeting God personally in a supernatural EXPERIENCE. False teachings have people thinking they learn first, commit themselves to Jesus, and then experience God personally.

The scriptures actually teach over and over that a person first becomes a son (spiritual son), then a disciple (learner). The apostles were told to make disciples (learners) in every nation, tongue, race and people. Once they are learned they want to follow Christ's instructions, as He instructed disciples who are already believers to baptize (dip -- not sprinkle and call it a dipping). Baptism is a symbol only and the "answer of a good conscious" in following Jesus' example.

I will give you one scripture to prove the point. There are many, many more which I will be glad to give if you so desire.
I Corinthians 2:14 "But the natural man (unbelieving man) receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God; for they are foolishness unto him, neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned."

If the natural man cannot receive spiritual things from God, neither can he understand them in order to accept them for they are foolish seemingly and cause headaches such as you experienced - - - -  then God has to first birth you into a spiritual being. At that point you can learn and know and decide whether to enter into the Kingdom of Heaven on earth. Many sons of God decide not to commit themselves - - or never hear the Good News. If you have been paid for by the blood of the Lamb, Jesus Christ, you are His whether you ever hear the Good News or not. But the beautiful feet of the preacher who beings this Good News is not the one who births you and re-creates you into sheep. Good News is just that - news, information. If God has already transformed the natural man into a spiritual man, it causes him/her to be able to hear the Good News and make a decision.

I like your questions. If you go online to www.the Baptist Bible Hour.org by preacher Lasserre Bradley, Jr. you will find the answers to many of your questions. It is a Primitive Baptist Church, which was Baptist before the split in late 1700's when most  of the Baptist churches separated and became "free will" doctrine churches. There was basically no "free will" doctrine in Baptist churches in the history of Baptist until the Black Rock Association split in late 1700's. The Primitive (meaning - first) Baptist churches taught election and predestination.
God bless us all is my prayer.


#119    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

  • Member
  • 3,314 posts
  • Joined:21 Jun 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:on the ground

  • The greatest story ever told is Your story.

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:38 PM

View PostCopen, on 10 March 2013 - 06:25 PM, said:



Reading your posts, it seems that you are first coming from the disadvantage point of the universal teachings of the majority of Christian churches. That is that man has a free will and God wants you to choose Him by first learning about Him and then accepting and believing in Jesus - - thus adding to the blindness you were already experiencing and contrary to what the Bible actually teaches. You experience alone should teach you that trying to study the word without having a personal EXPERIENCE in the reality of God/Jesus first brings about confusion, and sometimes rebellion, because you are actually blind until He calls you.

Saul, later named Paul, was as learned as any. It was not until he EXPERIENCED Jesus on the road to Damascus that he automatically bowed to Him and scales fell off his eyes. Proving once again in scripture that a person is blind until he/she EXPERIENCES a supernatural call or revelation from God. Only then does the truth in scripture make sense and contradictions start to be eliminated. So, the answer to your question of why does anyone believe the Bible is true: it first comes by meeting God personally in a supernatural EXPERIENCE. False teachings have people thinking they learn first, commit themselves to Jesus, and then experience God personally.

View PostCopen, on 10 March 2013 - 06:25 PM, said:



Reading your posts, it seems that you are first coming from the disadvantage point of the universal teachings of the majority of Christian churches. That is that man has a free will and God wants you to choose Him by first learning about Him and then accepting and believing in Jesus - - thus adding to the blindness you were already experiencing and contrary to what the Bible actually teaches. You experience alone should teach you that trying to study the word without having a personal EXPERIENCE in the reality of God/Jesus first brings about confusion, and sometimes rebellion, because you are actually blind until He calls you.

Saul, later named Paul, was as learned as any. It was not until he EXPERIENCED Jesus on the road to Damascus that he automatically bowed to Him and scales fell off his eyes. Proving once again in scripture that a person is blind until he/she EXPERIENCES a supernatural call or revelation from God. Only then does the truth in scripture make sense and contradictions start to be eliminated. So, the answer to your question of why does anyone believe the Bible is true: it first comes by meeting God personally in a supernatural EXPERIENCE. False teachings have people thinking they learn first, commit themselves to Jesus, and then experience God personally.

The scriptures actually teach over and over that a person first becomes a son (spiritual son), then a disciple (learner). The apostles were told to make disciples (learners) in every nation, tongue, race and people. Once they are learned they want to follow Christ's instructions, as He instructed disciples who are already believers to baptize (dip -- not sprinkle and call it a dipping). Baptism is a symbol only and the "answer of a good conscious" in following Jesus' example.




Ive experienced god before, after, during my beginning stages of christianity.. it was definately a supernatural experience that converted me and i still hear from the Lord/ Holy Spirit even now... this is my point about this whole thread. That there should be a point where we are familiar enough with the character of god that we do not need to be overly concerned with what exactly is in the bible or what other christians think about how our beliefs may be growing. I say it is glory to glory, but some christians think if you hear from god and it can be disputed by the bible then you are dealing with the devil...

I agree with the free will statement.. I think God lays the way before us and speaks to us individually which develops our paths. I think if any will is given to us at all it is in the purposeful cultivation of what he has given us (submission to the spirit), our attitudes (lean on love). Copen your comment seems to be written for someone who hasnt received the spirit... I already understand all that stuff that you wrote... its funny because ive used those same scriptures before to describe what your trying to say.. but that is not the question im asking.

Edited by SpiritWriter, 10 March 2013 - 09:55 PM.

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#120    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

  • Member
  • 3,314 posts
  • Joined:21 Jun 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:on the ground

  • The greatest story ever told is Your story.

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:49 PM

Why would a person be driven to study the bible for 10 years and apply it to thier lives if they werent called? I know I am called, I dont say that egotistically, I just know that I am called because God has made that clear to me. Thank you for your response though.. I understand what your trying to say. But you are talking about trying to read the bible without the spirit, that wasnt the case for me. I have read it without the spirit a long time ago, it was uninteresting and confusing and meaningles at that time and I had no reason to persue it (this was before my conversion). So I understand the difference, but now I am at another stage and still in the spirit..

Edited by SpiritWriter, 10 March 2013 - 09:51 PM.

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users