Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Why is the bible not to be questioned?

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#166    ambelamba

ambelamba

Just an average guy who tries to be...NORMAL!!!!

• 3,345 posts

• It's good to be mildly skeptical to remain sane. But too much of it will make you a douche.

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:41 AM

:(

I mean, Jesus shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Edited by Ron Jeremy, 10 April 2013 - 01:42 AM.

They came with a Bible and their religion. stole our land, crushed our spirit, and now they tell us we should be thankful to the Lord for being saved.

-Chief Pontiac (1718-1769)

#167    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,660 posts

• The greatest story ever told is Your story.

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:46 AM

View PostRon Jeremy, on 10 April 2013 - 01:41 AM, said:

:(

I mean, Jesus shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Depends

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#168    The Id3al Experience

The Id3al Experience

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

• Before enlightenment peel the potatoes, after enlightenment, peel the potatoes.

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:20 AM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 06 April 2013 - 04:59 PM, said:

Of course if it was human sacrifice.. animal sacrific I wouldn't agree with but I wouldn't get up in arms about it especially if it was like a goat or something and ate it afterwards. In general I dont like the idea of blood sacrifice but that really seems like an old way of doing things that we have outgrown. I have never heard of a church doing blood sacrifice ever.. I do know a muslim guy that once a year for one of their holidays goes out and kills a goat...  I dont trip with him about it. According to the bible the only human sacrifice ever made was Jesus.. not that this is necessarily true, there may have been human sacrifices but it definately isnt promoted in judaism or christianity.

I will reitetate my point: blood sacrifice is no longer necessary because of Christ. Maybe you think it was never necessary, ok I feel like that too, but thats probably because we live now and not back then..

But God allowed it? Demanded it sometimes. So is God primitive also?

The point being, yes it was primitve and common, but it was in the name of God, and he wanted it.... God is all powerfull and above humans, Surely he would be better than that no?

Posted Image

#169    The Id3al Experience

The Id3al Experience

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

• Before enlightenment peel the potatoes, after enlightenment, peel the potatoes.

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:22 AM

This part of the bible always made me think God is a mean mean being.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Job+1&version=NIV

The english is very proper and so on. But verse 6-9 translates to the roughyl, condensed version:

so one day, all the angels were hanging out in heaven, and satan was there too, and god spots satan in the group and shouts out, " YO S-Dog (that was always his nickname for satan) where have you been? Long time no see" and satan replied "Sup G-man, just chillen on earth, checking the place out, nice work man" and god said "Chur, so in your travels did you meet my main man Job? that guy, that guy is the shizzle." Satan stroked is goatee with an evil glint in his eyes as he replied "He's only the shizzle cuz you gave him all the swag, whats the man without his swag? I bet you if you take away his swag he won't think your all that no more, he will call you names and such" And then god was all like "Oh no you didn't. Your on pal"

So they they took all his swag all at once, the greatest biblical heist ever. And Job was was all like. "NOOOOOO my swag, my beautiful swag its all gone, I had no swag, and now I have no swag again! Thanks god"

And God was all like "See he never said a bad thing about me" And satan was all like "yeah but its implied" But god had his own evil glint in his eyes, and replied "That wasn't the bet yo, check and mate, we should do this again some time" and satan departed saving "For sure G-man, I'll get you next time you triksy hobbit you"

Edited by The Id3al Experience, 10 April 2013 - 02:28 AM.

Posted Image

#170    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,660 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:47 AM

Lol, I do have a response for that but dont want to get into that discussion. My heads not really in that space right now.  but it has to do with being able to look at scriptures in different ways. Yes I think God is both primitive and advanced.

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#171    The Id3al Experience

The Id3al Experience

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:59 AM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 10 April 2013 - 02:47 AM, said:

Lol, I do have a response for that but dont want to get into that discussion. My heads not really in that space right now.  but it has to do with being able to look at scriptures in different ways. Yes I think God is both primitive and advanced.

Thats the problem... all the things that are question, the answer is.... oh yes but you have to look at it in this way? - there is no footnotes to say look at gen1 as a metahpor or poetic manner.... because of this, I take that with a grain of sand unfortunitly.

Posted Image

#172    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,660 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:50 AM

View PostThe Id3al Experience, on 10 April 2013 - 02:59 AM, said:

Thats the problem... all the things that are question, the answer is.... oh yes but you have to look at it in this way? - there is no footnotes to say look at gen1 as a metahpor or poetic manner.... because of this, I take that with a grain of sand unfortunitly.

It doesn't matter.. bible application is a spiritual work. In dealing with the spirit you do have to look at in poetic form, that is the only way the spirit speaks to us. God is unfathomable, life is wonderful and good but also terrible and bad but we keep going forward, either we are blessed or cursed, it is ours for the taking. Those who accept the bible and apply it as salve to thier wounds are healed. When gazing upon God in thier extacy they have more than they could ever want or ask for, even in times of trouble, which is inevitable, hence the story of Job... there is always a blessing, there is always the clearing of the storm. You can look at life half empty or half full, full and overflowing or barren in despair...  Some people have no choice but to believe in god, he has made himself evident through the works of his creation. All we can do is try to describe god the way we know him to be and that is through the specticle of our own lenses.  You have your view and I have mine. I understand your position believe it or not, but I see it in other ways too.

#173    The Id3al Experience

The Id3al Experience

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:57 AM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 10 April 2013 - 04:50 AM, said:

It doesn't matter.. bible application is a spiritual work. In dealing with the spirit you do have to look at in poetic form, that is the only way the spirit speaks to us. God is unfathomable, life is wonderful and good but also terrible and bad but we keep going forward, either we are blessed or cursed, it is ours for the taking. Those who accept the bible and apply it as salve to thier wounds are healed. When gazing upon God in thier extacy they have more than they could ever want or ask for, even in times of trouble, which is inevitable, hence the story of Job... there is always a blessing, there is always the clearing of the storm. You can look at life half empty or half full, full and overflowing or barren in despair...  Some people have no choice but to believe in god, he has made himself evident through the works of his creation. All we can do is try to describe god the way we know him to be and that is through the specticle of our own lenses.  You have your view and I have mine. I understand your position believe it or not, but I see it in other ways too.

So all of the bible is not literal then? Its all Poetic and methophical?

this is the confusing part...

For example, the Job story is that a poetic matter for mindfulness (being gratefull for all good and bad) or was that a real event?

What about the snake that tempted Eve? metahopr for greed? temptations?

Whaat parts are litteral?

Posted Image

#174    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,660 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:11 AM

View PostThe Id3al Experience, on 10 April 2013 - 04:57 AM, said:

So all of the bible is not literal then? Its all Poetic and methophical?

this is the confusing part...

For example, the Job story is that a poetic matter for mindfulness (being gratefull for all good and bad) or was that a real event?

What about the snake that tempted Eve? metahopr for greed? temptations?

Whaat parts are litteral?

How many years would it take to know for sure? My personal opinion is most of it stems from actual events but thats because I believe both in prophetic word and the types of miracles the bible describes even though they are rejected in todays modern day society, but of course thats just me. I dont think everything in the bible is accurate either.. it is my personal opinion that it has been altered for the sake of controlling the masses and I also believe there is more to god than just the bible... that being said the "factual" aspect is not the most important part, it is the poetic understanding (communication with the spirit as I interpret it) and spiritual application that is so powerful...

My thoughts

#175    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,277 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:31 AM

I think anybody's "scripture" must be treated with respect but read with an understanding of the culture and times it comes from.

#176    Reann

Reann

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:01 PM

O.K , if i were to create a thread regarding why the talmud should not be taken so seriously and in doing so reveal to you how Jesus broke the tradition of the talmud teachings over and over again because they were a teaching of hate and lies , among other things  that are awful would that be fine with every one here?  I'm asking because I see threads going up all the time regarding Jesus as if it's O.K .to display disrespect towards him.
Or since you mention Christ here , you may like to discuss the talmud here as well and why he was killed over not abiding to hate  it taught.He opposed it and was killed for that , shall we talk about who killed him and why? Something to do with a certain people and tradition, crimes against humanity and so on.

#177    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,225 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:19 PM

View PostThe Id3al Experience, on 10 April 2013 - 02:59 AM, said:

Actually there is. You should read the Oxford annotated bible. Lots and lots of scholarly footnotes on context and meaning.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#178    The Id3al Experience

The Id3al Experience

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:35 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 10 April 2013 - 05:19 PM, said:

Actually there is. You should read the Oxford annotated bible. Lots and lots of scholarly footnotes on context and meaning.

I was talking about the writers of the bible. They didnt say its poetic and thing, its only scholars reasearch and that which could still be wrong.

However, im not great at english and do not pick up on what maybe poetic etc.

Posted Image

#179    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Unsuitable for large vehicles

• 24,847 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:06 AM

View PostThe Id3al Experience, on 10 April 2013 - 10:35 PM, said:

I was talking about the writers of the bible. They didnt say its poetic and thing, its only scholars reasearch and that which could still be wrong.

However, im not great at english and do not pick up on what maybe poetic etc.
I think that even the people in the Olden Days would have recognised that the tales in the Old Testament, about God putting the earth together in seven days, then making Adam and Eve, and then this Serpent coming along, and everything that ensues from that, up to and probably including the parting the Red Sea, was all intended as mythology, just like the mythology of every other ancient culture. I think it was only the "everything in the bible is true" Christian fundamentalists that made that mistake. Of course a writer doesn't say "this is poetic fiction"; they rather hope that their readers will be bright enough to understand that.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#180    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,277 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:10 AM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 11 April 2013 - 07:06 AM, said:

I think that even the people in the Olden Days would have recognised that the tales in the Old Testament, about God putting the earth together in seven days, then making Adam and Eve, and then this Serpent coming along, and everything that ensues from that, up to and probably including the parting the Red Sea, was all intended as mythology, just like the mythology of every other ancient culture. I think it was only the "everything in the bible is true" Christian fundamentalists that made that mistake. Of course a writer doesn't say "this is poetic fiction"; they rather hope that their readers will be bright enough to understand that.
Actually I rather think that people growing up in an ancient environment where it was taught as fact and no questions ever arose, people would have no trouble believing whatever they were told.We need to remember that very few were even literate; their versions of these stories came via theatrical presentations and sermons.  Also, the Church in the Middle Ages did not teach Bible literacy: they taught Apostolic Succession, meaning that interpretation and teaching were up to the Church, not to individuals reading a text.  It was not until the Reformation that the idea of the supremacy of the Bible over the Priest became widespread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users