Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Bicycles are bad for the environment

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,611 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

I'm pretty sure I give off more methane than I do carbon dioxide. :whistle:

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#17    pallidin

pallidin

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,099 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:38 PM

View PostLady Kasey, on 04 March 2013 - 04:34 PM, said:

This politician certainly deserves some kind of award for his stupidity. Because apparently you and I give off more CO2 than a vehicle... Even though he admittedly has no proof. :rolleyes:

Source

Politicians, spending OTHER people's money, are not known for their innate intelligence.

#18    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 6,164 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

View Postlightly, on 05 March 2013 - 12:41 PM, said:

Idiocy. What about jogging and sex ?.. those cause increased respiratory rates too!  ..so do sports and hard work .

I'm surprised he agrees with the idea that CO2  levels affect atmospheric warming.

You forgot about laughing, which is what most of us are doing after reading this stupidity...

View PostBiffSplitkins, on 05 March 2013 - 01:06 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure I give off more methane than I do carbon dioxide. :whistle:

MMhhmmm not surprised Biff. :P

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

#19    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

Cue the usual foul-mouthed tirade on Twitter that we are usually subjected to from cyclists when anyone dares saying anything negative about them, no matter how justified.

Cyclists are a menace on the road and think the rules of the highways don't apply to them.  They should be banned from using proper roads and be allowed only to use their cycles on things like cycle tracks in the country or parks.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun, 07 March 2013 - 11:37 AM.

#20    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

Drifter

• 1,970 posts

• How much do you don't see?

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

Yeah, I suppose when you drive over a cyclist with your car you might get a bit shocked, that counts as a danger to your mental well-being. It's also dangerous to you because you might get into trouble with the law, so yeah, I can sympathise you. I think you should be able to drive over cyclists in highways and other places too if you feel like it, to have a peace of mind. :sm

Wherever there's a problem, there's solutions.
Answers are found from a wide deep perspective, from opened mind's eyes.
From where good and bad stay silent and you hear the real cause and effect, and big picture.
Giving up is wasting your time, but also necessary to find the true cause you didn't find yet.
Staying in the path is necessary only when there's trueness in that path.

#21    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,827 posts

• With great power, comes great irresponsibility.

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:37 PM

I don't understand why cyclists don't ride their bikes on the sidewalks if given the option to, very seldomly do I even see people walking on the sidewalk. Obviously it makes sense that some drivers aren't as skilled as others, personally I wouldn't want to put my life in danger by riding on the edge of the road. Some 85 year old grandmother who can barely see could mow me down, someone could be driving under the influence, someone could be texting while driving. Riding a bike on the shoulder of the road is too dangerous.

Edited by WoIverine, 07 March 2013 - 02:38 PM.

#22    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 12,298 posts

• - God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi -

"Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:13 PM

Bicycles are not responsible for the cyclists and or other road users.

Thus any taxation is unjust and unfair.

Now, as for the human methane emission tax .... let's ban garlic and onions first

He who postpones the hour of living rightly ... is like the rustic who waits for the river to run out ... before he crosses.
Horace - Roman lyric poet & satirist 65 BC - 8 BC
~

third_eye cavern ~ bring own beer

#23    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,158 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:25 PM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 07 March 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

Cue the usual foul-mouthed tirade on Twitter that we are usually subjected to from cyclists when anyone dares saying anything negative about them, no matter how justified.

Cyclists are a menace on the road and think the rules of the highways don't apply to them.  They should be banned from using proper roads and be allowed only to use their cycles on things like cycle tracks in the country or parks.
... and then the usual crowd of professional whingers in the local paper invariably whinge about Cyclists on the Pavement, Mowing down Pensioners. I bet there's nothing cyclists would like better than not to have to use "proper" roads among all the moronic Motorists who all think they're Clarkson.

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#24    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

Drifter

• 1,970 posts

• How much do you don't see?

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

View PostWoIverine, on 07 March 2013 - 02:37 PM, said:

I don't understand why cyclists don't ride their bikes on the sidewalks if given the option to, very seldomly do I even see people walking on the sidewalk. Obviously it makes sense that some drivers aren't as skilled as others, personally I wouldn't want to put my life in danger by riding on the edge of the road. Some 85 year old grandmother who can barely see could mow me down, someone could be driving under the influence, someone could be texting while driving. Riding a bike on the shoulder of the road is too dangerous.

But what if I want to? I guess it's really pretty inconsiderate, as it's no joking matter that you might get driven over, even if you accepted that risk yourself. The mental trauma of a car-driver is actually not to be belittled there. But if there's a sidewalk where you can cycle then yeah, I agree. Just that it's actually a pain in the ass in winter if the sidewalk's frozen and filled with bumpy ice or sliding-snow. I used to cycle 5km in a road like that to my first job... it felt like 20km one direction in winter. Despite my frustration there, I was actually considerate towards you car people and didn't use the 60km/h limit road which had a proper un-snowy un-icy sideline which I could've used.

Edited by Mikko-kun, 07 March 2013 - 08:28 PM.

Wherever there's a problem, there's solutions.
Answers are found from a wide deep perspective, from opened mind's eyes.
From where good and bad stay silent and you hear the real cause and effect, and big picture.
Giving up is wasting your time, but also necessary to find the true cause you didn't find yet.
Staying in the path is necessary only when there's trueness in that path.

#25    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• 1,144 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:48 PM

View PostMikko-kun, on 07 March 2013 - 12:31 PM, said:

Yeah, I suppose when you drive over a cyclist with your car you might get a bit shocked

If cyclists didn't go through red lights then maybe they wouldn't get hit by motor vehicles.  It's their own fault for disregarding the laws of the road.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun, 08 March 2013 - 03:48 PM.

#26    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• 1,144 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:51 PM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 07 March 2013 - 08:25 PM, said:

... and then the usual crowd of professional whingers in the local paper invariably whinge about Cyclists on the Pavement, Mowing down Pensioners. I bet there's nothing cyclists would like better than not to have to use "proper" roads among all the moronic Motorists who all think they're Clarkson.

It's actually the motorists who are having to put up with moronic cyclists who think that things such as red traffic lights don't apply to them.

Cyclists should not be using proper roads or pavements.  They should be banned from both of those places and be allowed only to ride their cycles on designated paths in the countryside and in parks.  Cyclists are a danger and a menace on the roads and they should no longer be tolerated.

#27    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 13,798 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 08 March 2013 - 03:51 PM, said:

It's actually the motorists who are having to put up with moronic cyclists who think that things such as red traffic lights don't apply to them.

Cyclists should not be using proper roads or pavements.  They should be banned from both of those places and be allowed only to ride their cycles on designated paths in the countryside and in parks.  Cyclists are a danger and a menace on the roads and they should no longer be tolerated.
How did I guess that you would be a cyclist hater :w00t:

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#28    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Telekinetic

• 7,389 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:59 PM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 07 March 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

Cyclists are what you say:  they do not follow the rules of the road and are surprised when they discover they have to come up with the money to pay damages to the vehicle they hit when they ran the stop sign (Happens around here a lot.).

The rules-of-the-road problem could be solved by requiring a license to ride a bicycle on the street (Children under ten or twelve would be allowed to use the sidewalks.). As it is, bicyclists can be cited for moving violations, but the police rarely enforce the law.  Better law enforcement is part of the picture.

BUT:  Bicycles were using the roads before cars were invented.  That gives them a prior right to roads that already existed when cars first used them (The horse predates the bicyle and thus has a prior right over both bicycles and cars.).  In America, we started paving roads due to pressure from the League of American Wheelmen (bicyclists).

Bicycles can be excluded from new highways built just for the automobile (like the Interstate System) because they do not have a prior right on those.  Also, there is a procedure for excluding bicycles when an alternate trail is available.  Otherwise, you will have to build them a trail.

The problems are saluble, if we really want to solve them.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

#29    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:32 PM

In Vietnam the only people you see on bicycles are children, monks, and the extremely poor.  There is a face issue so I fear environmental interest will lose to motorbikes and ultimately to cars.

#30    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,520 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:15 PM

So , yes this guy is a total dolt. No question.

However, we have an ongoing issue in Washington regarding cyclists... it's so bad a problem some people like to call Seattle's current mayor (McGinn) Mayor McSchwinn. He keeps trying to take roads, closing off streets, raising vehicle taxes, all in favor of bikes. It's his pet thing. Of course he fails to understand that this is a huge city built on hills, some so high the sidewalks have toe holds in them, and that the two major population areas are separated by a giant lake, and not too mention the constant inclement weather here. If this were a flat city like Phoenix or even Shanghai, I'd say go for it McSchwinn.... but it ain't.... this city needs rapid transit which we DO NOT have.

Oh and this ding dong that made that ludicrist statement is the R representitive from Kalama... I think the population of Kalama is about 14. It's down near the Oregon border in the south western part of the state. It's roughly the area where DB Cooper made his infamous jump. LOL

Edited by MissMelsWell, 11 March 2013 - 02:29 PM.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users