Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Grocery loyalty card purchases surveilled by

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 12,999 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:00 PM

Hmm... where have I heard this before?  Oh yeah, I predicted this years and years ago when they first started requing you to give them a card to get semi-reasonable prices.

From the article:

I warned Natural News readers about this years ago: those grocery store "loyalty cards" that they push on you to enjoy discounts on groceries are actually a behavior surveillance technology that's used to capture and profile your grocery purchasing patterns. This data is then sold off to insurance companies who use it to raise your rates by linking your grocery purchases with the risk of disease.

Buying a lot of ice cream? You're more likely to be obese and diabetic.

Purchasing a lot of processed meats and homogenized milk? You're more likely to develop cardiovascular disease.

Bringing home a lot of processed food with additives, chemical sweeteners and chemical preservatives? You're far more likely to get cancer.

http://www.naturalne..._insurance.html

I can hardly wait to see which of the posters here think this is a good idea.

#2    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,518 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

View PostOverSword, on 04 March 2013 - 06:00 PM, said:

I can hardly wait to see which of the posters here think this is a good idea.

The ones against guns will be the ones that like this idea.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#3    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,491 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

But Insurance companies are our friends.

I mean, just look at all the advertisements they put on the television.  They are all friendly, and happy.  Surely, they only want us to be safe???

#4    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:32 PM

LOL well hate to be your first response because i know the ones you are waiting for.A few will be on here later telling you what a great idea this is and they are only trying to help haha.I have a loyalty card to a store i always get my food at,only thing is though they might give me free insurance for my food purchases :lol: No doctor on the planet could find trouble with my diet :tu:  Oh and  :gun:

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#5    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,392 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

People often are all for something like this as long as it effects others and not them.

#6    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,583 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:44 PM

Not much the average consumer can do about this as it is probably in the terms and conditions when you sign up for the loyalty card. I shop at a chain that has no loyalty cards after my usual chain started a card programme and then sent "targeted" avertising based on your shopping habits.

#7    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,718 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:48 PM

well, you don't have to fill out your real name and adress on such cards, the store wont know the difference. it isn't like they check anyway.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#8    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• 1,350 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:52 PM

I personally am against the very idea of tracking ones food purchases no matter if it affects me or not.I just try to eat healthy as possible because i want my body to last me as long as i am in it.Plus eating healthy foods makes one feel much better than pumping refined junk into the system.But to each their own.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#9    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,086 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:59 PM

View Postaztek, on 04 March 2013 - 06:48 PM, said:

well, you don't have to fill out your real name and adress on such cards, the store wont know the difference. it isn't like they check anyway.
Maybe if you pay with a credit card they might know who you really are. I'm sure they are not interested in tracking 'my specific' shopping habits but moreso of an entire region.

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#10    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,583 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:07 PM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 04 March 2013 - 06:52 PM, said:

I personally am against the very idea of tracking ones food purchases no matter if it affects me or not.I just try to eat healthy as possible because i want my body to last me as long as i am in it.Plus eating healthy foods makes one feel much better than pumping refined junk into the system.But to each their own.

Whats the point of eating vegetables for 30 years if my reward is 30 more years of vegetable eating?

#11    shrooma

shrooma

.. Pint Pot Politician.

• 3,506 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:10 PM

i've never had any kind of loyalty card for this exact  reason.
information surveillance.
I don't shop at large chains, I prefer to use small independant butchers, greengrocers, corner shops. wal-mart and tesco have more money than god, so they don't need mine, whereas the small business' that are being driven out by the chains, do.
no loyalty cards, I always pay cash, and usually buy locally sourced foods, so i'm pretty much off the map when it comes to traceability.
in fact, if I didn't draw money out the bank once a week and pay taxes, i'd be more or less non-existent!

Edited by shrooma, 04 March 2013 - 07:13 PM.

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -    
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on like a mardy-arsed
bĦt˘h due to your lack of understanding.

#12    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,718 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:14 PM

i think they wont.

cc records are something different than stores customer database. they have strict rules about it.
stores would not want to missuse data of any financial institution,  , cuz they would have big problem, banks can give them big problems. you can't
store's database, however, is theirs to use anyway they want.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#13    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:15 PM

The moral of the story is **** off Big Govmnt . :gun:

#14    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• 1,350 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:18 PM

View PostProfessor Buzzkill, on 04 March 2013 - 07:07 PM, said:

Whats the point of eating vegetables for 30 years if my reward is 30 more years of vegetable eating?

Well i have always been a athlete so taking in vital nutrition to repair my body is preferred,i would gladly eat lean meat and veggies for 60 years and feel good than be obese to the point i cant get off my couch and slowly dieing from something like diabetes.Not saying you are just a general reference lol

#15    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,016 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:23 PM

View PostSweetpumper, on 04 March 2013 - 06:04 PM, said:

The ones against guns will be the ones that like this idea.

Seriously?

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users