Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Hindenburg mystery solved after 76 years?

hindenburg lakehurst airship atlantic

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,039 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:52 PM

The dream was a fleet of hydrogen-filled airships criss-crossing the globe, silvered hulls shining in the sunlight. And for a while the fantasy became reality, For the Hindenburg was the Concorde of its day – able to cross the Atlantic in about three days, twice as fast as going by sea.

With nearly 100 on board, the 245m airship was preparing to land at Lakehurst, New Jersey, on 6 May 1937, when the age of airship travel ended. In front of horrified onlookers, the Hindenburg exploded and plunged to the ground in flames. Thirty-five of those on board died.

http://www.independe...rs-8517996.html

http://www.dailymail...ip-explode.html

Posted Image

#2    coolguy

coolguy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:48 AM

Thanks for the link its interesting read

#3    Antilles

Antilles

NCC-1701

• 1,211 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:05 AM

Static electricity makes sense. Given that the crew had been circling the airfield and the electrical storm that had abated not long before, it is a much more sensible conclusion than saboutage.

#4    skookum

skookum

Psychic Spy

• 1,422 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

I would love to see a return of Hydrogen rigid airships.  They could be built today to be as safe as flying in a modern airliner.  They are far less polluting and could be used for a variety of tasks including lifting heavy loads.

Just a shame this accident wiped out the chance of any future development.

Posted Image

#5    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• 1,632 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

View Postskookum, on 05 March 2013 - 11:46 AM, said:

I would love to see a return of Hydrogen rigid airships.  They could be built today to be as safe as flying in a modern airliner.  They are far less polluting and could be used for a variety of tasks including lifting heavy loads.

Helium would be a completely safe (if expensive) non-flamable alternative to Hydrogen. I wonder if the two gases could be mixed at a ratio that would render the hydrogen less explosive, they might have different specific gravity (if that is the correct term for the weight of gases); one might "float" above the other and therefore you could still have a pocket of highly flammable gas, but they could be keep homogenized with blowers inside the envelope.

#6    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 6,761 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:19 PM

I don't know about the return of "air-ships"
Seems like a large, low flying target for those wishing to do harm.

#7    Einsteinium

Einsteinium

Psychic Spy

• 1,008 posts

• "Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others."
    -Buddha

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:10 PM

Helium would be safer, but like you said much, much, MUCH more expensive, and in fact running in short supply these days. There have been helium shortages as of late, and only about 6 or 7 sites worldwide produce all of the worlds helium.

#8    marcos anthony toledo

marcos anthony toledo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 223 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:46 PM

Hydrogen is as safe as Helium and much cheaper. The major problem with the dirigibles is they are under powered. They need to be powered by more powerful engines to deal with the air winds and currents but it would be wonderful to bring them back to transportation service.

#9    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,026 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

View Postskookum, on 05 March 2013 - 11:46 AM, said:

Have you ever read Jasper Fforde's books? One of his series is set in an alternate universe in 1985 and there the only mode of air transportation is rigid airships. :D Each town/village has a station like a train station.

re: the article... I thought it was determined a long time ago that static electricity was the culprit.

Edited by Lady Kasey, 05 March 2013 - 03:19 PM.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#10    Einsteinium

Einsteinium

Psychic Spy

• 1,008 posts

-Buddha

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

View Postmarcos anthony toledo, on 05 March 2013 - 02:46 PM, said:

Hydrogen is as safe as Helium and much cheaper. The major problem with the dirigibles is they are under powered. They need to be powered by more powerful engines to deal with the air winds and currents but it would be wonderful to bring them back to transportation service.

Hydrogen is not at all as safe as Helium! It is extremely flammable! Helium is not flammable at all :)

#11    ReddWolfe

ReddWolfe

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:20 PM

But I thought that the mythbusters did that a few years ago.

#12    HollyDolly

HollyDolly

Psychic Spy

• 1,303 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:23 PM

This has been mentioned before in regards to the Hindenburg.And Hydrogen is not safe.If I remember correctly;there is a reserve of helium out in west Texas.I think it's out near San Angelo and you may have to google it.

#13    Einsteinium

Einsteinium

Psychic Spy

• 1,008 posts

-Buddha

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:45 PM

View PostHollyDolly, on 05 March 2013 - 06:23 PM, said:

This has been mentioned before in regards to the Hindenburg.And Hydrogen is not safe.If I remember correctly;there is a reserve of helium out in west Texas.I think it's out near San Angelo and you may have to google it.

Yes you are right there is a helium reserve out in West Texas. Here is more information about that reserve and the global helium shortage: http://www.popularme...ortage-10031229

#14    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,823 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:34 PM

Helium would be a lot funnier

Edited by lightly, 05 March 2013 - 07:34 PM.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#15    shrooma

shrooma

doesn't have one screw fully tightened.....

• 3,506 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:22 PM

if we could breathe this much hot air into their balloon, they might have something......
;-)

Also tagged with hindenburg, lakehurst, airship, atlantic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users