Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Bush camp in new attack on Kerry

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1    Talon

Talon

UM Chess Tournament Champion 2005

• 15,003 posts

• Life, Death, Anime inbetween

Posted 11 October 2004 - 02:49 PM

Bush camp in new attack on Kerry
George W Bush's campaign is running a new attack ad against the White House challenger, John Kerry.
The TV commercial accuses Mr Kerry of failing to understand the threat posed by terrorists around the world.

It uses comments made by Mr Kerry to the New York Times where he says he wants to get to a time where terrorism is not the focus but a mere "nuisance".

Opinion polls suggest the two men are in a close race for the presidency, ahead of the 2 November election.

The new Bush ad was produced hours after the Kerry interview appeared in the New York Times magazine.

Asked about what it would take for Americans to feel safe again, Mr Kerry said there needed to be a change in outlook.

''We have to get back to the place we were, where terrorists are not the focus of our lives, but they're a nuisance,'' he said.

''As a former law-enforcement person, I know we're never going to end prostitution. We're never going to end illegal gambling.

"But we're going to reduce it, organised crime, to a level where it isn't on the rise. It isn't threatening people's lives every day, and fundamentally, it's something that you continue to fight, but it's not threatening the fabric of your life.''

Correspondents say that Mr Bush, who has called himself a "war president" and part of whose re-election campaign urges voters not to switch leaders while the country remains at war, paints the struggle against militants as a long-term battle that has defined his presidency.
The script for the new ad accuses Mr Kerry of changing his mind on how best to defeat terrorism, and interprets his comments as equating the war on terror to prostitution.

"Now Kerry says... We have to get back to the place where terrorists are a nuisance like gambling and prostitution... we're never going to end them," an announcer says in the commercial, which is being shown on cable television and from the campaign website.

"Terrorism... a nuisance? How can Kerry protect us when he doesn't understand the threat?"

There has been no official response yet from the Kerry campaign.

Churches courted

Mr Bush spent Sunday off the campaign trail at his ranch in Crawford, Texas, where he began some informal preparation for the last debate on Wednesday.

Mr Kerry attended a church service with leading African-American politicians Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton and a largely black congregation in Miami.

"Never again will a million African-Americans be denied the right to exercise their vote in the United States of America," Mr Kerry said, referring to the disputed Florida recount in the 2000 presidential race.

Florida is again seen as a key swing state for November's poll and analysts say turnout among African-Americans - who tend to vote Democrat - is important to Mr Kerry's hopes of winning the state.

Across the country, new opinion polls suggest the electorate is still evenly split.

Mr Bush held onto a slim lead with 50% support compared with 46% to Mr Kerry in a new ABC News poll compiled partly after the second debate. The poll had a margin of error of 2.5 percentage points.

A Reuters/Zogby poll released on Monday found a lead for Mr Kerry had grown to three points, with 47% of respondents favouring him to 44% supporting Mr Bush. That survey - taken from Friday to Sunday - had a margin of error of 2.9 percentage points.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/worl...cas/3733504.stm

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato

#2    Talon

Talon

• 15,003 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 02:52 PM

Anti-Kerry film ignites new row
By Michael Buchanan
BBC Washington correspondent  

A US television company is planning to run a film attacking Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry just days before the election.
Sinclair TV Group's programmes reach almost a quarter of US homes.

Its move is highly unusual and may breach federal regulations requiring stations to give equal time to major candidates in an election campaign.

The 45-minute film criticises John Kerry's opposition to the Vietnam war in the early 1970s.

In the documentary, Stolen Honor, Wounds That Never Heal, former prisoners-of-war say that Mr Kerry's claims that American soldiers were committing atrocities led to their captors treating them more harshly, and extended the length of the conflict.

'Unfair'

The Sinclair TV Group, whose executives have given tens of thousands of dollars to President George W Bush's re-election campaign, have revealed plans to show the film later this month, followed by a panel discussion to which they say Senator Kerry will be invited.

The decision to air the documentary on the 62 stations that Sinclair either owns or supplies programmes for has been criticised not only by the Kerry campaign but also by media analysts, who say showing the one-sided film so close to the election is unfair.

This argument over the role of the media in the presidential race is just the latest in this year's heated campaign.

Michael Moore's anti-Bush film Fahrenheit 9/11 outraged conservatives, who say it distorts the president's White House record.

And just recently CBS News had to apologise to Mr Bush for broadcasting a programme that was based on now-discredited documents.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/worl...cas/3732302.stm

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato

#3    Talon

Talon

• 15,003 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 08:28 PM

Legal fight over anti-Kerry film
The Democratic Party is to launch a legal challenge to try to stop a major US television company airing a critique of presidential candidate John Kerry.
Figures within the party have branded the decision to show a 45-minute film about John Kerry's Vietnam war record as "blatantly partisan".

Democrats now plan to file a federal complaint against Sinclair TV, which owns or manages 62 television stations.

The company intends to show the film just two weeks before polling day.

The documentary - Stolen Honour: Wounds That Never Heal - highlights Mr Kerry's role as an anti-war activist upon his return from active service in Vietnam.

In the film former US prisoners of war allege that Mr Kerry's testimony to Congress in 1971 prompted their captors to delay their release.

Republican mouthpiece?

Sinclair TV has asked the 62 stations, many of which broadcast in key battleground states, to suspend regular programming and show the documentary.

The company insists the film is part of regular news coverage and said that John Kerry has been invited to debate the issues raised in the film.

The BBC's Jill McGivering in Washington says the issue has renewed debate about the control of the US media and the political influence of major broadcasting groups.

The family running Sinclair TV has a history of supporting the Republicans.

Democrats have accused the company of acting as a mouthpiece for the campaign to re-elect President George W Bush.
The Democratic National Committee is to petition the Federal Election Committee to classify the film an "illegal in-kind contribution" to the Republican campaign.

In a letter to the Federal Communication Commission, 18 Democratic senators branded the documentary "blatantly partisan".

The Democrats are not thought likely to obtain a ruling in time to stop the broadcast.

Supporters of President Bush argue that film-maker Michael Moore used his hit cinema release Fahrenheit 9/11 to urge Americans to vote for Mr Kerry.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/worl...cas/3737956.stm

#4    Nxt2Hvn

Nxt2Hvn

Alien Abducter

• 5,082 posts

• 'For we walk by faith, not by sight.' II Corinthians 5:7

Posted 12 October 2004 - 08:33 PM

Well.. what is good for the goose .....  whistling2.gif

thumbsup.gif

I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't, and die to find out there is.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin. ~anonymous~

#5    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

• The origonal Damneddirtytreehugging-
    paganhippiewerecougarrum pirate.

Posted 12 October 2004 - 08:44 PM

Gods I've never hated an election more then I've hated this one.

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and
watch videos on angelfish and become one with nature.

#6    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,824 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 12 October 2004 - 08:51 PM

I'm with you SilverCougar. blink.gif

#7    Naveed

Naveed

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 10:42 AM

Well then, if that documentary gets deemed "illegal" then I'm gonna raise hell and try to get Mikey Moore's crap deemed illegal to.  devil.gif  gunsmilie.gif

#8    Talon

Talon

• 15,003 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 11:04 AM

Hey, that Team America World Police is out here soon, it looks sooooo funny laugh.gif

#9    wunarmdscissor

wunarmdscissor

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,761 posts

• come on the hoops

Posted 13 October 2004 - 04:08 PM

The bush campaign is beginning to drop to new lows, they seem desperate now, mudslinging beyond belief.

In any other country in the world they would be shown up for the corrupt bunch of nitwits they are.

But witha wink and a smile dubya leads america like some sort of poorly educated , half witted pied piper.

Lets just hope the ending aint the same.

Stand up for the Champions
'MON the tic an tiocfaidh ar-la

saorsa na h-alba

#10    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

• Everyone likes a smouldering and sexy glare from a diminutive scientist.

Posted 13 October 2004 - 04:10 PM

Yes....I find it a little terrifying that freedom of speach could be so obviously censored, and yet the republicans still scream his praises like a bunch of deluded cultists huh.gif

That was, by the way, reference to that comedy thingus Talon mentioned being deemed "Un-American"....I mean what the hell is that!? Anti-Bush isn't un-american, it's un-idiot tongue.gif

Edited by Seraphina, 13 October 2004 - 04:12 PM.

Posted Image

Apparantly, over on Exchristian.Net, they say that I'm "probably the smartest person" on UM....that is so cool...

#11    wcturnersr

wcturnersr

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 05:10 PM

I cannot believe you people.  The democrats started running a dirty campaign from the get go.  How come it is always the republicans that are wrong whenever a group of people decide to air something that could be true in reference to a democrat?  But when Michael Moore airs something on a republican it is okay?  I just do not understand how any of you are thinking.

#12    Celumnaz

Celumnaz

Telekinetic

• 7,039 posts

• I don't know what I don't know.

Posted 13 October 2004 - 05:57 PM

They don't.

Kerry's VP to be said people paralized would be able to get up out of their wheelchairs when Kerry is president.  Giving false hope to paralized idiots everywhere, but yeah, those are the good guys. ha.

#13    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 13 October 2004 - 06:04 PM

Giving false hope to paralized idiots everywhere

Excuse me?  huh.gif

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#14    Nxt2Hvn

Nxt2Hvn

Alien Abducter

• 5,082 posts

• 'For we walk by faith, not by sight.' II Corinthians 5:7

Posted 13 October 2004 - 06:51 PM

QUOTE(Fluffybunny @ Oct 13 2004, 07:04 PM)
Giving false hope to paralized idiots everywhere

Excuse me?  huh.gif

View Post

I am sure that he didn't mean that "Paralyzed people" are idiots... he meant that "Kerry Supporters" are idiots... just these certain Kerry supportes are paralyzed..... whistling2.gif

I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't, and die to find out there is.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin. ~anonymous~

#15    Celumnaz

Celumnaz

Telekinetic

• 7,039 posts

• I don't know what I don't know.

Posted 13 October 2004 - 06:51 PM

huh?  Yeah, just what I said.  He's giving voters in Christopher Reeves' condition the impression that if they vote for Kerry they're going to get up and walk.  That's false hope, and only a certain kind of person, God bless em, would fall for it.  And it's sick to give false hope like that for politics to freaking paralized people.  I started out just not likeing Kerry, but Edwards is a pretty sick guy too I guess.

Still not voting for Bush, but Kerry/Edwards are just sick immoral sick unethical sick... they're lawyers on display trying to sway a jury with emotion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users