Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Britain's most tattooed man

mathew whelan body art tattooed

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,319 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:40 PM

He's Britain's most-tattooed man, with 80 per cent of his body covered in ink.

But 33-year-old Mathew Whelan is now struggling to find work as a result of his devotion to body art.

After spending 300 hours in the tattooist's chair and having paid more than £20,000 for designs, Mr Whelan is currently volunteering in the office of a Liberal Democrat MP.

http://www.dailymail...ng-80-body.html

Posted Image

#2    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 17,124 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

What a dumb-ass.  Hey nothing against people with tatoos but getting your face covered is just begging to die poor hungry and young.

#3    Oppono Astos

Oppono Astos

Overlord of Delgon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:43 PM

Surely there is a role in a low-rate circus for a Tattooed Man?

Who is the skeptic: the realist who won't accept belief, or the believer who won't accept reality?

#4    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 10,271 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

'There's someone in Canada who has already asked if he can have my skull to use as a paint pot.'

===================================================================================================

And he could use it right now, at least this would fill it with something useful.

Edited by freetoroam, 05 March 2013 - 07:08 PM.

#5    acute

acute

I'm a hoglet. Get over it!

• 3,061 posts

• Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

When was the last time you saw a member of parliament or congress (for example) with tattoos, piercings, or spiky hair?
Maybe when 'normal'-looking people like me have died out, it will become commonplace.

I wonder how many recent graduates are unemployed because they can't speak properly with the bar-bell thru their tongue, and they look like they've been dragged thru a hedge backwards!

#6    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,979 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

View PostOverSword, on 05 March 2013 - 03:46 PM, said:

What a dumb-ass.  Hey nothing against people with tatoos but getting your face covered is just begging to die poor hungry and young.

Posted Image    Posted Image

I would have no issues employing the pictured woman. Face tattoos which are culturally significant are a different kettle of fish than a doodle you think will look cool. Would these tattoos put off other perspective employers?

#7    skookum

skookum

Psychic Spy

• 1,799 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:46 AM

I bet this guy has no work either.

Calls himself Mad Dog.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,821 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:09 PM

I'll park outside this mans house and play music all night long. If he gets angry I'll just say I'm expressing myself and exposing art to everyone around.

#9    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 10,271 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:17 PM

View Postskookum, on 06 March 2013 - 09:46 AM, said:

I bet this guy has no work either.

Calls himself Mad Dog.

Posted Image

Thats an insult to dogs!

#10    shadowhive

shadowhive

Government Agent

• 4,133 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

Maybe he should do what people have sugegsted in the comments to the article, become a tattooist or work in a tattoo shop in some other capacity.

Personally I do think that having so many facial tattoos is a little much, I'd certainly not do it, but it's his body not mine.

So just take off that disguise, everyone knows that you're only, pretty on the outside
We'll just keep on trying till we run out of cake
No one can tell you who you are
"There's the trouble with fanatics. They're easy to manipulate, but somehow they take everything five steps too far."
"The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevent, it's what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

#11    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• 6,778 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:50 PM

He's obviously mentally disturbed.

The tribal tattoo from Buzzkill's post is a different story, I think. That is more of a cultural tattoo (plus it looks totally cool).

#12    pallidin

pallidin

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,073 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:54 PM

It was the bath salts, I tell ya.

#13    Moon Gazer

Moon Gazer

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

• Stonewylde.... follow me to Stonewylde....

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

I love tattoo's and have a number of them.  But I also know that in today's society, although tattoo's and piercings (which I also have) and unusual hair (mine is currently pink) are much more accepted and commonplace, heavy tattooing like the guy in the link is bound to put some employers off.  If an employer doesn't like it, there is a good chance customers may not too.

In an ideal world no one care what people looked like, as long as they had good hygiene and could do the job they would be employed, but that just isn't the case.  Surely this guy would have known this prior to getting all those tattoo's done???

Luckily in spite of my "different" appearences I have never had trouble getting work.  I have had two employers since leaving school.  With the first I completed my qualification in the evenings to become an accountant and have worked as an accountant and, more recently, a Financial Analyst.

Edited by Moon Gazer, 06 March 2013 - 04:00 PM.

#14    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:16 PM

View PostProfessor Buzzkill, on 05 March 2013 - 08:34 PM, said:

Posted Image    Posted Image

I would have no issues employing the pictured woman. Face tattoos which are culturally significant are a different kettle of fish than a doodle you think will look cool. Would these tattoos put off other perspective employers?

I have employed people with facial tattoo’s (cultural facial tattoo’s). I have absolutely no problem with that.

I wouldn’t touch these other clowns, I am pretty sure most of them do it so it qualifies them as un-employable. I would stop their benefits also.

freetoroam... Your right when you said Mad Dog was an insult to dogs. Mad Dog on Jerely Kyle show.. that says it all really!!

Mathematical equation for you guys: Mad Dog + Jeremy Kyle = ______________

Posted Image

#15    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:19 PM

There are lots of people in Hawaii with tribal facial tattoos, the pics posted are of the Maori people from New Zealand but most Polynesian cultures have facial tattoos and body tats.  It's no problem Finding a job in a field that doesn't require one to look a certain way.

These have meaning but I find King ink dude, or whatever his name is, grotesque!  Especially the one blacke ned eye ball.  And the hair...oh yes, and the tattoos.   And the attitude.  He's just gross.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users