Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did the city of Atlantis ever exist

ReaperS_ParadoX

Like the topic says, did it ever exist. I mean because as far as I know there hasnt been found a trace of actual evidence that it exists. Let me know If Im wrong.

To the best of my knowledge Atlantis was first mentioned in Plato's "Republic" (?), and has no history previous to that... IMO it was simply a ficticious setting for his ideas/philosophys...

SInce then however, every month or so (seemingly) someone trots out another place in that general hemisphere - as the site for the city-state of Atlantis... None of them really pass the muster (IMO)...

In his description of where Atlantis 'was' Plato practiced the traditional 'tricks' of the fortune-tellers/seers... "Be really vague about the details, and no one can call you out on it"...

• Like 1

If we knew it existed we wouldn't be discussing this.

• Like 1

and there is already a quite long thread about this in the "Ancient Mysteries & Alternative History" part, maybe lets keep things together?

Besides maybe take a look here, 141 pages of Atlantis right there, hey Stevemagegod ;)

No need to have parallel threads about the same thing, just saying.

and there is already a quite long thread about this in the "Ancient Mysteries & Alternative History" part, maybe lets keep things together?

Besides maybe take a look here, 141 pages of Atlantis right there, hey Stevemagegod ;)

My fault, I wasnt aware of that thread.

There haqs been some proof of something off the coast of Cuba. Down about 5000 ft. Some bulding and a street grid found.

There haqs been some proof of something off the coast of Cuba. Down about 5000 ft. Some bulding and a street grid found.

Oh, but how do they know that thats related to atlantis?

In ancient times they had authors like you do today.

Who's to say that Plato wasn't flirting with sciencefiction?

If it did exist maybe the inhabitants felt it wise to stop letting chosen individuals learn of certain technologies and had decided to "disappear" the colony?

Maybe, if it did exist, they were allowing a chosen few to learn things far beyond mankinds knowledge in hopes of advancing and helping mankind to achieve a level comparable to thier own. Maybe, the inhabitants misjudged mankinds motivations at the time and saw that man would take the new knowledge and try to conquer his neighbors instead of helping them. The temptation of power or power perceived is sometimes great when you know you have the advantage over another.

It's hard to teach a chimpanzee to write when the same primate doesn't understand the concept behind the pencil or inkpen.

Oh, but how do they know that thats related to atlantis?

They don't, it's whishfull thinking. They can't even prove that it's actual ruins as such.

I'd say "depends", I firmly believe that some airly advanced culture existed before Sumerian culture. was it as Edgar Cayce described with cytal tecnology and msgic doodahs? probbly not

If you're looking for Atlantis......it's over in another forum.

I'd say "depends", I firmly believe that some airly advanced culture existed before Sumerian culture. was it as Edgar Cayce described with cytal tecnology and msgic doodahs? probbly not

You're most likely right, if Göbekli Tepe is any indication, it comes down to how you would define "advanced culture". More than hunter-gatherers? City builders?

I'd say "megalythic city builders on a par with Greece socially and technologically".

There's some suggestion that "Atlantis" was in Britain, both David Hatcher Childress and Philip Coppens suggest that (damnit, memory fails, I think it was...) Shewsbury was a good contender for "the city of Atlantis" as described by Plato.

But on that other thread that was mentioned it says the greeks never made any mention of atlantis in any of there writings, and if its so advanced in the ways that plato claims you would think that the greeks would have mentioned it.

Edited by R4z3rsPar4d0x

What do you mean, "a" long thread, lol?

I once counted 18 threads about Atlantis and only in that forum!!

• 2 weeks later...

The latest theory I have seen says in was in mid-Pacific - see 'Before The Delusion, By Wm Gleeson.

Interesting that from the island of Pohnpei the Japanese in 1920s? recovered from underwater tonnes of platinum metal. Not ore, actual metal. Now how did that happen? MC

Eh. I think it was made up by pluto, because like I said before the greeks never mentioned it and had it in none of there writings.

Its just a storry, but I Belive there was an advanced civilzation way before the sumarians.

The story of Atlantis is a fuel for enthusiast searching the real "Atlantis",maybe it will not be so glorious civilization as Atlantis but it can change the history books for ever.

Hello Diablo, yes agree there is a lot of evidence for a prior civilisation...but often gets sidetracked by discussion of the exact location. Thre's a new account in 'Before The Delusion' by Wm Gleeson that might interest you

Regards MC

Nope...not in the sense of Atlanteans with magical cyrstals and underwater "spaceships" and half mer-people. If it existed then its a case of mistaken identity.

No, it's only in a book.....a fictional book. That means it isn't real.

:unsure2: