Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

what is the history of evp's

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1    lone wolf2

lone wolf2

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 138 posts

• Kik messenger id is lonewolf2. Hit me up some time.

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:14 AM

Im wondering when the first evp's were recorded and on what kind of equipment

#2    _Only

_Only

• 6,707 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:54 AM

It seems Friedrich Jurgenson was the first to do this kind of thing. But his work inspired Dr. Konstantine Raudive, who popularized the idea a bit more by writing his own book, after reading Jurgenson's. Raudive read Jurgenson's book 'Voices From Space' in 1964, so I'd say it's safe to assume that Jurgenson started the whole EVP/ITC ball rolling in the early '60's.

A bit of history:

http://itcvoices.org...p-breakthrough/

I found Raudive being a psychologist himself, Training under Jung at one point, fascinating in itself, for all who believe EVP's are only psychological creations by the listener.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#3    lone wolf2

lone wolf2

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:01 AM

Thanks that gives me a starting point for research

#4    lone wolf2

lone wolf2

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:40 AM

One interesting. Thing i found.  Is that in the early 1960's the development of the rf condenser  stile microphone was pattened and used widely do to its clarity and small size.  And is still used in 90% of electronics today

#5    coolguy

coolguy

Poltergeist

• 2,147 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:11 AM

Great info on the history of Evps.thanks

#6    CakeOrDeath

CakeOrDeath

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 352 posts

• The Proof is in the "peeas nuhhh burder"

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:44 PM

Other interesting tidbits, Raudive's experiments were re-produced under proper scientific control settings, and guess what, they didn't have anything close to the results Raudive achieved in an improperly controled setting.... :whistle:

What time is it? "peeas nuh burder" and Jelly time!

#7    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,640 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:31 PM

Were these scientific control setting experiments published for all to see and compare for ourselves?

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

#8    auramyst

auramyst

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 40 posts

• Dreams are today's answers to tomorrow's questions~
    Edgar Cayce

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:52 PM

View PostLady Kasey, on 06 March 2013 - 10:31 PM, said:

Were these scientific control setting experiments published for all to see and compare for ourselves?

Thank you! I was going to ask the same thing :)

#9    auramyst

auramyst

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 40 posts

• Dreams are today's answers to tomorrow's questions~
    Edgar Cayce

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:10 AM

Raudive and his research:
http://en.wikipedia....stantin_Raudive
Raudive started researching such alleged voices on his own and spent much of the last ten years of his life exploring EVP. With the help of various electronics experts he recorded over 100,000 audiotapes, most of which were made under what he described as "strict laboratory conditions." He collaborated at times with Bender. Over 400 people were involved in his research, and all apparently heard the voices. This culminated in the 1968 publication of Unhörbares wird hörbar (“What is inaudible becomes audible”) [2](published in English in 1971 as Breakthrough).

The only info I could find on (quote from CakeOrDeath) "Raudive's experiments were re-produced under proper scientific control settings":
http://skepdic.com/raudive.html
In 1997, psychologist Imants Barušs conducted a series of experiments attempting to replicate Raudive's work. His results were published in 2001 in the Journal of Scientific Exploration. He did over 80 recordings of radio static. He, too, came up with a few snippets that either were sounds from a radio station or other noises that might be interpreted as intelligible sounds, but "none of the phenomena found...was clearly anomalous, let alone attributable to discarnate beings."* In short, the only significant attempt to replicate Raudive's work failed to replicate it.

#10    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,640 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:07 PM

I wonder how many fields of science would accept the replication of an experiment at such a low number. 100,000 is a far cry from a mere 80.

And why is one psychologist's "strict laboratory conditions" not acceptable, yet another's is?

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

#11    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:11 PM

Here's a good take on the topic of EVPs:

http://www.skepdic.com/evp.html

I like that they talked to an actual sound engineer:

"it is safe to say that unless the EVP believer is highly bankrolled, I use much higher standard recording equipment, built to much higher tolerances. That being said, I've never heard from the dead, and I have been listening to tape and hard disk recordings for years. It may be the low quality of their equipment that is cause for mistaken ghosts, but it sure isn't lack of willed ignorance!"

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#12    _Only

_Only

• 6,707 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:30 PM

View PostRafterman, on 08 March 2013 - 03:11 PM, said:

Here's a good take on the topic of EVPs:

http://www.skepdic.com/evp.html

I like that they talked to an actual sound engineer:

"it is safe to say that unless the EVP believer is highly bankrolled, I use much higher standard recording equipment, built to much higher tolerances. That being said, I've never heard from the dead, and I have been listening to tape and hard disk recordings for years. It may be the low quality of their equipment that is cause for mistaken ghosts, but it sure isn't lack of willed ignorance!"

The writer of that article gives a few shoddy rationalizations for EVP's (baby monitor cross talk/hoaxing) and one decent one (pareidolia), and then has the balls to call anyone who has a different take on it other than his guesses 'willfully ignorant'. At what point did his hypotheses turn to conclusions?

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#13    lone wolf2

lone wolf2

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:58 PM

How did this turn into a debate on whether there real or not

#14    shrooma

shrooma

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,985 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:11 AM

View Postlone wolf2, on 21 March 2013 - 11:58 PM, said:

How did this turn into a debate on whether there real or not
you're on an unexplained mysteries website dude, EVERY question you ask ultimately boils down to 'is it real or not?'

"Get off your knees, the party's over."
-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#15    shrooma

shrooma

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,985 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:25 AM

but in answer to your post, i've been a musician all my life, and during the late 70's/early 80's, we were using old sh!t like condenser mike's to record ourselves, and we picked up a lot of stuff that just wasn't there.
EVP STILL freaks me out to be honest, and there's loads of websites that have them on tape if you look for them, but it's not hollywood, and most of it is pretty frightening sh!t.....

"Get off your knees, the party's over."
-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users