Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

what is the history of evp's

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16    shrooma

shrooma

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,985 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:29 AM

View Postshrooma, on 22 March 2013 - 12:29 AM, said:

but in answer to your post, i've been a musician all my life, and during the late 70's/early 80's, we were using old sh!t like condenser mike's to record ourselves, and we picked up a lot of stuff that just wasn't there.
EVP STILL freaks me out to be honest, and there's loads of websites that have them on tape if you look for them, but it's not hollywood, and most of it is pretty frightening sh!t.....

Edited by shrooma, 22 March 2013 - 12:32 AM.

"Get off your knees, the party's over."
-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#17    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:07 PM

View Post_Only, on 08 March 2013 - 03:30 PM, said:

The writer of that article gives a few shoddy rationalizations for EVP's (baby monitor cross talk/hoaxing) and one decent one (pareidolia), and then has the balls to call anyone who has a different take on it other than his guesses 'willfully ignorant'. At what point did his hypotheses turn to conclusions?

Actually that was the sound engineer, not the author of the entry.

Frankly, I'll listen to the sound engineers on this.  Ask yourself this, why is it that it's always the ghost hunters with their handheld recorders always catching EVPs and not the sound engineers with their boom mics and hard core recording gear?

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#18    _Only

_Only

• 6,681 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:50 PM

View PostRafterman, on 22 March 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

Ask yourself this, why is it that it's always the ghost hunters with their handheld recorders always catching EVPs and not the sound engineers with their boom mics and hard core recording gear?

You mean the sound engineer. One person. You've created an imaginary horde of faceless engineers vs. horde of armchair enthusiasts,  out of one man's opinion and/or experience on the subject, because he hasn't heard anything for himself.

But imagine that this one man's opinion is the most based in fact, and what that horde of ghost hunters are hearing is just coming from their mind. That doesn't necessarily make it any less real than if it was an actual voice out loud. Who is to say a voice translated in the mind from some random stimulus is any different than that seemingly random inner voice you get in your head that didn't come from you consciously. Was it a ghost? A demon? An angel? Who knows; those are just titles. All you know is that it came from your mind. It's up to you to decide whether you believe that makes it not real or not.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#19    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:13 PM

View Post_Only, on 22 March 2013 - 11:50 PM, said:

You mean the sound engineer. One person. You've created an imaginary horde of faceless engineers vs. horde of armchair enthusiasts,  out of one man's opinion and/or experience on the subject, because he hasn't heard anything for himself.

But imagine that this one man's opinion is the most based in fact, and what that horde of ghost hunters are hearing is just coming from their mind. That doesn't necessarily make it any less real than if it was an actual voice out loud. Who is to say a voice translated in the mind from some random stimulus is any different than that seemingly random inner voice you get in your head that didn't come from you consciously. Was it a ghost? A demon? An angel? Who knows; those are just titles. All you know is that it came from your mind. It's up to you to decide whether you believe that makes it not real or not.

So moving the goal posts now?  Got it.

No evidence of EVPs being anything more than random noise, but we're still going to build a case that post hoc creations of hardcore believers actually mean something?

Reminds me a lot of the Bigfoot hunters who, when faced with zero real evidence, fall back on him being a mystical beast with the ability to shape shift, etc.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#20    _Only

_Only

• 6,681 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

View PostRafterman, on 23 March 2013 - 02:13 PM, said:

So moving the goal posts now?  Got it.

No evidence of EVPs being anything more than random noise, but we're still going to build a case that post hoc creations of hardcore believers actually mean something?

And for many, no evidence for it. The unknown is just that.

I don't want to sway anyone into my opinion, which is no more than a what if, only caused after things I've heard myself, just below. It is when I see some attempt to teach others what it isn't, because they feel some lack of evidence is a positive affirmation of their stance.

Could those have been misunderstood? random noise? The first one sure could have been. The second is much harder to simply write off as random ambient noise, though. So then that one could be some kind of transmission from some kind of words spoken from a device like a radio or phone.. if someone on the radio or phone happened to be whispering. Okay, that could be possible, though not totally normal. Then somewhere there must be a mass of people whispering phrases on their phones/radios/baby monitors/etc, as most of what people call EVP's are whispers. But then there's always the possibility that I hoaxed this. See, sometimes none of the explanations fully fit in situations. Those are the unexplained, which some try to discount because other things can be likely explained with often mundane things.

But I'll stop here, as I'm not wanting to build any cases, and you don't want to hear any. Believe, or disbelieve what you like. I'm not going to argue any more. It gets old around here, every thread started for a different reason, becoming an us vs. them.

I'm going to walk away from my mind comment being passed off as an attempt to be used as some mystical explanation, to win some kind of debate, as it's a subject I hold dear. It is a topic in itself, not fit for here, I guess.

Edited by _Only, 23 March 2013 - 03:52 PM.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users