Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

US is now over $16 trillion dollars in debt

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1    pallidin

pallidin

Non-Corporeal Being

• 7,755 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:24 AM

HOW do we get out of this?

Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

#2    pallidin

pallidin

Non-Corporeal Being

• 7,755 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

Oh, I forgot to add. Here is a real-time site for the continuing US debt...

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Give it a few seconds to fully load.

#3    Norbert the Incredible

Norbert the Incredible

A bit dull

• 26,836 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:58 AM

Well, the answer is obvious. Borrow more.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#4    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 4,133 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

I'm pretty sure about half of the debt is owed to Americans and domestic institutions, so they won't bother to pay that back.

The other half is split up between various countries, China and Japan having about 10% or so each.

I honestly don't see any politicians making any changes.  They'll just keep kicking the can down the road until a collapse(or start a few wars and demand debt forgiveness as a terms of surrender if we win) since they personally won't be effected by it.

#5    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:40 PM

Suggestions?  Wipe out all foreign debt, seal the borders and restart manufacturing here in the now isolated USA.

But seriously...there is nothing that can be done.  The debt cannot ever be paid off.  As another poster said, a huge amount of it is owed to ourselves but rather than pay that back, we give money to people that hate us...that makes perfect sense... :td:

Different administrations, for instance, have borrowed huge sums of money from the Social Security fund and now they are crying that it is going to go bankrupt in a few years...well maybe if they stopped stealing from it and paid back what they took....just a thought.

For round number talking purposes...(these are not accurate so don't freak out)...we spend about 3.5 trillion dollars a year.  We take in 2.5 trillion dollars a year...so each year, we are adding roughly a trillion to the overall national debt.  Even if we stopped the deficit spending completely and then only spent 1.23 to 1.3 trillion a year...it would take more than 20 years to pay it off with the 1.25 of remaining money...and that is at todays interest rates.  When the economy starts improving and interest rates go back up...the Lion's share of our revenue is going to be going toward the interest on the debt.  This means...we are going to have to borrow more...and have to pay more interest.

When people that are fiscally conservative say this madness is unsustainable...it's true.  It's not going to be pleasant when suddenly the debt interest equals every dime of incoming revenue...we wil borrow more and the debt increases and the interest increases...and soon...boom...total collapse.

It is inevitable and I don't care what kind of fantasy math you are using...it cannot be sustained like this.

Edited by Jeremiah65, 06 March 2013 - 02:41 PM.

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#6    Scorpius

Scorpius

Universal Researcher

• 1,821 posts

• Harness the energies around you and you'll be able to do wondrous things.

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:48 PM

This remenids me of "ZEITGEIST: THE MOVIE (2007)".  It foreshadow's the inevitable collapse if I remember correctly.

http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Posted Image
Avatar and Signature designed and animated by me.  
Do not speak for those who can speak, but speak for those who cannot.

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience."  - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin (1881-1955)

#7    ohio_traveler

ohio_traveler

Psychic Spy

• 1,864 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:55 PM

We'll know more next year. If the Dems take the House and hold onto the Senate, I forsee a civil war. ( Or something close to it )

#8    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,919 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:55 PM

Debts of the US can be handled several ways, since it remains the world's main reserve currency.  It will probably generate some inflation and a spurt of economic growth via continued money creation and quiet devaluation.  This is how the WW2 debt, which was proportionally much worse, was handled.

#9    the1truebat

the1truebat

The Be All End All of the Universe

• 3,861 posts

• Yeah, I am that good.

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:27 AM

Get an accountant.
Seriously, get a team of accountants to run the numbers. Not Government accountants, real accountants.

Edited by the1truebat, 07 March 2013 - 03:28 AM.

I am the guy with the stick.

#10    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• 1,646 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:36 AM

Never,for every 3 dollars spent the treasury is only taking in 2.Thats spending one Trillion dollars more a year than the US is taking in.These figures are quoted by Rep. Paul Ryan and if they are true then it is quite staggering.

http://dailycaller.c...-on-time-again/

I'm not a conspiracy theorist but one wonders wether the Dollar is being driven into the ground intentionally.

Edited by shaddow134, 07 March 2013 - 04:39 AM.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#11    tapirmusic

tapirmusic

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:00 PM

Lets spend a few trillion dollars to construct a monument to the future:  A massive middle finger that our children and their children can remember us by.

#12    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:03 PM

View Postpallidin, on 06 March 2013 - 08:24 AM, said:

HOW do we get out of this?

Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

$16.68 trillion at the moment which is slightly over $147,000 of debt per citizen.

Welcome to the new soon to be Weimar Republic.

#13    MiskatonicGrad

MiskatonicGrad

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

• "the natural progress of things is liberty to yield and goverment to gain ground." Thomas Jefferson

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:26 AM

imho what I think would help some real goverment accoutability as to how the money is spent this whole pork stuff your friends pockets spending has got to stop and how many meaningless jobs are there in goverment? the private sector evidently thinks a ton with the way the stock market took off after the goverment threatened to cut some.

"Were we directed from Washington when to sow, and when to reap, we should soon want bread" --Thomas Jefferson(1821)

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session"--Mark Twain(1866)

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." --Thomas Jefferson(1800)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users