Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Fencing off wild lions 'could save them'

lions humans fencing off

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 39,772 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:06 PM

Nearly half of Africa's wild lions are facing extinction in 20 to 40 years unless urgent conservation measures are put in place, a report suggests.

Writing in the journal Ecology Letters, conservationists have said that the big cats should be better protected from their main threat - humans.

They have proposed that fencing off the carnivores into nature reserves could protect them in the future.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-21687176

Posted Image

#2    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 12,120 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:27 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if this solution is used for other wildlife too.  Ultimately Africa will turn into a gigantic open-air animal reserve.   The food chains will collapse while different species are cordoned together behind fences and ultimately they'll need to be separated for their own survival too, turning Africa into a giant open-air zoo.   Worst case would be extinction.  It's so sad how mankind has run so many species into the ground in a relative blink of an eye in geological time.

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#3    wolfknight

wolfknight

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

• There is nothing to Fear, but fear itself

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:19 PM

That would a lot of fensing to put up and upkeep. I guess then they would be suppled with game to hunt and water to drink.

#4    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,674 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:27 PM

Poachers would tear down the fence so I don't think it would do much good.  As human population grows many animals will become extinct or close to it.

#5    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 10,356 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:13 PM

Might be easier and cheaper fence in the humans.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users