Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fencing off wild lions 'could save them'

Still Waters

Nearly half of Africa's wild lions are facing extinction in 20 to 40 years unless urgent conservation measures are put in place, a report suggests.

Writing in the journal Ecology Letters, conservationists have said that the big cats should be better protected from their main threat - humans.

They have proposed that fencing off the carnivores into nature reserves could protect them in the future.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-21687176

I wouldn't be surprised if this solution is used for other wildlife too. Ultimately Africa will turn into a gigantic open-air animal reserve. The food chains will collapse while different species are cordoned together behind fences and ultimately they'll need to be separated for their own survival too, turning Africa into a giant open-air zoo. Worst case would be extinction. It's so sad how mankind has run so many species into the ground in a relative blink of an eye in geological time.

• Like 2

That would a lot of fensing to put up and upkeep. I guess then they would be suppled with game to hunt and water to drink.

Poachers would tear down the fence so I don't think it would do much good. As human population grows many animals will become extinct or close to it.

• Like 1

Might be easier and cheaper fence in the humans.