Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Car windscreens to display phone calls

windscreens phone calls gps car hans roth harman

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,358 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:18 PM

Harman's head up display system (HUD) shows the driver things like speed and distance to the car in front, incoming phone calls with the picture of the caller, weather conditions, arrows for navigation, directions and warnings of looming collisions.

This is a large amount of information being delivered into the driver's line of sight but Hans Roth, Harman's Director Technology Marketing, believes the information is delivered seamlessly enough that it won't be distracting nor dangerous.

http://www.telegraph...nformation.html

Posted Image

#2    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Unsuitable for large vehicles

• 24,847 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:24 PM

Well, I'm glad it includes warnings of looming collisions, since they'll surely be so distracted by all the rest of it that there will be plenty of looming collisions.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#3    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,910 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:34 PM

the data showed will be pretty much same data we have on multiple screens now. now we need to take our eyes off the road and look at dashboard, nav, sound sys...
don't see how it'll be any more dangerous and distracting than it is  now,  i had a car with hud, loved it, almost never had to look at the dash, to see speeed, or how much gas i had left.

Edited by aztek, 07 March 2013 - 04:34 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#4    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,423 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

Speed and looming collisions are one thing but people need to drive not be talking on the phone or looking at the picture of the person calling.

#5    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Unsuitable for large vehicles

• 24,847 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:53 PM

View Postaztek, on 07 March 2013 - 04:34 PM, said:

the data showed will be pretty much same data we have on multiple screens now. now we need to take our eyes off the road and look at dashboard, nav, sound sys...
don't see how it'll be any more dangerous and distracting than it is  now,  i had a car with hud, loved it, almost never had to look at the dash, to see speeed, or how much gas i had left.
yes, for speed & things like that, it's sensible, but phone calls? Pictures of the person calling? Can that be anything other than a pointless distraction?

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#6    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,678 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:02 PM

One advantage to taking your eyes off the road and 'down' to your dash is that it helps prevent "White line fever"... That almost hypnotic trance-like state you sometimes get from staring at the road for too long...

Hopefully this will not clutter up the windshield with TMI, and obscure some part of the roadway...  And I agree about cell phones,etc... either drive - or call your friends to chat...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users