Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Intelligent people and unhappiness

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#31    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,988 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:11 AM

FYI: If you ever have a typo/spelling error on any title header just PM me (or another mod) and we'll be glad to fix it.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#32    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:09 PM

I read something that said people with higher I.Q.s are more likely  to experiment with different drugs

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#33    notforgotten

notforgotten

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

• The educated lie can be the most deceiving...gullible people believe them without question.

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:27 PM

Wisdom rules over intelligence!

#34    Einsteinium

Einsteinium

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

• "Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others."
    -Buddha

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:55 PM

View Postascendant606, on 11 March 2013 - 07:36 AM, said:

Although yes, you prove a valid point, you forget that people do not only rationalize and think logicly. We are also ruled by emotion, which in most people can be an illogical, stubborn force that overides the logical part of us. Also, I did not say that an intelligent person that is unhappy would blame their unhappiness on their intellegence. For them to do so would be, as you said, stupid in their mind. Since intelligence is something so deeply rooted in our personality and in the way we do anything, often times people do not consider it as a possible problem. It is part of us, like an arm of a leg. We can use it, grow and develop it but it is an integeral part of ouselves. We are not likely to blame our arm on our unhappiness, so we can infer that someone suffering from unhappiness would not blame it on their unhappiness.

I may have been about as clear as mud in my post. I have not forgotten that people are also ruled by emotion which is illogical and stubborn by nature. I agree with you. You make a valid point. What I was essentially saying is that intelligent people have a better tool to analyze their own unhappiness than some other people. And as such one would think that intelligent people would actually be happier people, as they have a better chance at understanding and changing the things that make them unhappy. An intelligent person who does not use the tool of their intellect to try and solve the problem of their own unhappiness deserves the unhappiness they feel. IMHO

Edited by Einsteinium, 11 March 2013 - 06:56 PM.

#35    Finity

Finity

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:50 AM

It's true. Intelligent people see the bigger picture. While the dumb people are happy in their little world and don't see beyond their mobile phone and facebook :P

Edited by Finity, 12 March 2013 - 12:51 AM.

#36    ascendant606

ascendant606

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 28 posts

• "Despite contrary belief, knowledge is not power. Rather, the application of knowledge to real world situations is power"

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:16 AM

View PostEinsteinium, on 11 March 2013 - 06:55 PM, said:

I may have been about as clear as mud in my post. I have not forgotten that people are also ruled by emotion which is illogical and stubborn by nature. I agree with you. You make a valid point. What I was essentially saying is that intelligent people have a better tool to analyze their own unhappiness than some other people. And as such one would think that intelligent people would actually be happier people, as they have a better chance at understanding and changing the things that make them unhappy. An intelligent person who does not use the tool of their intellect to try and solve the problem of their own unhappiness deserves the unhappiness they feel. IMHO

Yes, agree that your statement is accurate. My only difference in opinion is that it is possible for some intelligent people to recognize the things causing their unhappiness, but fail to amend it and suffer unhappiness as the end result. If this happens, either they aren't intelligent after all or they have problems applying their intelligence to their problems. like notforgotten said, said, wisdom is important. Wisdom can be defined as the practical application of intellegence in real life, making it to where although intelligence is important, you need knowledge and wisdom as well.

View PostFinity, on 12 March 2013 - 12:50 AM, said:

It's true. Intelligent people see the bigger picture. While the dumb people are happy in their little world and don't see beyond their mobile phone and facebook :P

How true! :yes:

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

#37    White Unicorn

White Unicorn

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:25 AM

Key to happiness is to live each moment to it's fullest.

Smart and dumb people keep looking for that missing something in their life and try to fill it with other things since they may not even know what they really lack.  Usually what they are missing was there all along, but by striving to attain those others things to fill the void they make their own unhappiness.  

When bad stuff happens, it always will,  you deal with it like a game of challenge, and think back to happy times and what is available in the moment that you can do for yourself or with others.  At the end of each day look back to each of the pieces of your day that were really worthwhile and plan for what you can do the next day that will be special to you too  :)

Edited by White Unicorn, 12 March 2013 - 02:27 AM.

#38    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 12,124 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:22 PM

Ignorance might really be bliss. I have never seen an unhappy bird or rabbit. But smarter animals like a dog, I have seen unhappy dogs before. ( at least it looks that way), and obviously plenty of unhappy humans.

Actually I have seen unhappy birds. Usually parrots or other smart birds that are isolated from other birds.

Edited by Seeker79, 12 March 2013 - 02:24 PM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#39    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,625 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:36 PM

Don't worry about being happy.  You will or won't be based on your genes and brain chemicals and sleep and health and so on.  Worry about being good at what you do and good to others.

If you are seriously unhappy -- that is to say, if you are "depressed," then see a doctor and get one of the happiness pills that will change your brain chemistry.  No guilt in doing this, and you are not yourself when you are depressed, so maybe now you will be.

#40    ascendant606

ascendant606

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 28 posts

• "Despite contrary belief, knowledge is not power. Rather, the application of knowledge to real world situations is power"

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:58 PM

So something else I thought I would bring up is Existential depression. This is caused by essentially too much thinking.

www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10269.aspx

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

#41    dougeaton

dougeaton

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

• I am an agnostic, don't like atheist much, well some of them, they can be worse than any die in the wool believer.

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:18 PM

What do you mean by intelligence?  Emotional intelligence is needed for happness, those who do not have it, no matter how high their so callied IQ is, tend to be rather moronic in how they live out their lives.

If you must have  finale absolute answers, then become an  hard nosed atheist or a fundie of any religion, both seem to be black and white thinkers, and have only contempt for those who think differently.

#42    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 12,124 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:51 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 12 March 2013 - 02:36 PM, said:

Don't worry about being happy.  You will or won't be based on your genes and brain chemicals and sleep and health and so on.  Worry about being good at what you do and good to others.

If you are seriously unhappy -- that is to say, if you are "depressed," then see a doctor and get one of the happiness pills that will change your brain chemistry.  No guilt in doing this, and you are not yourself when you are depressed, so maybe now you will be.
No need for that. Vitamin b, vitamin c supplements, a steady workout regiment  and hand full of pumpkin seeds once a day is just as effective.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#43    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,625 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:09 AM

Well I endorse the workout regimen; the others are problematic, but of course trying them won't hurt.  Why pumpkin seeds?  My tendency is to endorse all kinds of seeds and nuts (watching the salt), not for "happiness" so much as for general good health.

#44    himalyanmystic

himalyanmystic

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:10 PM

View Postascendant606, on 08 March 2013 - 07:22 AM, said:

What is happiness? Often times what we perceive as happiness are things that are necessary for survival. Food, jokes (which are a sign of one’s intelligence, which is important for survival), reproduction, love and companionship all make us happy. But why then is it the most intelligent people that are the least happy? Could it be that we are flawed in the sense that were are too intelligent for our own good to the point of causing inner turmoil and distress, leading to depression and suicide? Could that be the reason for few people having high cognitive functions? Could it be we intelligent people are actually so intelligent it makes us less functional and capable human beings? Think of it this way: If we are so intelligent as to question everything, and we question questioning things like I am right now, would we live a day if we were in pre-historic times? There is a saying that everyone resists change, but that is an eternal paradox within itself. If we question whether or not we need to change, and question if the changes Mother Nature is gradually doing is right, then how can we be sure what is wrong or right? We question things that are indefinite, things that we cannot be sure about and change is one of those things. We will be forever questioning whether or not we should change, because we will question change, then question questioning change, then question questioning questioning change. It never ends, it’s like trying not to be mainstream in high school. Inadvertently if you try to be not mainstream in high school and everyone else tries to not be mainstream as well, then you will inadvertently be mainstream by not being mainstream. This is the same with change and any life decision. People that are less intelligent do not have these same questioning thoughts, and easily choose to embrace or block change making them more adaptable and easier to survive; ergo making them happier.

But why do we want to survive? Are we being somehow tricked into living? Or is it that the reason intelligent, questioning people are not happy? Because we question and doubt even our most fundamental instincts and question questioning those. It gets to the point where you need something to take your mind off of thoughts like this, for me its reading. But this just gives me more thoughts, making me question even more things so I turned to music. But then that just brings up the question of why do I like music. It’s like an eternal circle of questioning and doubting. Maybe that’s why intelligent people aren’t as happy as others. Happiness is dependent upon comfort for most people, and what makes us comfortable? Food, relaxing and other things that we find comfortable often times are an extension of the very topic of survival we were discussing earlier. When you are relaxing, more times than not it is because you have done everything your mind thinks has to be done to survive. That’s why we crave relaxation, because we feel happy and ready to face whatever we need to face in life because we have completed all tasks needed for survival. When we intentionally relax without finishing our daily needs for survival, it is not near as enjoyable as your mind will keep thinking of the thing that you neglected to do. This is important, because this shows with too many thoughts in your head you often times do not feel content and comfortable, and this is part of what makes you happy. More intelligent people often times find it near impossible to stop thinking sometimes with their questioning and etcetera, leading them to feel less content; ergo making them less happy.

On a physical level however, an intellegent person may be able to make more money, giving them more possesions and wealth but is materlistic happiness really worth anything if you aren't mentally happy?

Do you agree?
Their is one question what is the purpose of intelligence?
Questioning is fine but enjoying the investigative thoughts,trying to establish the true nature of things ,trying to find answers should be a systematic process,
when we have too many thoughts is that intelligence or is it compulsions of the mind manifesting, usually breathing exercises help for organising thought patterns a bit.
Happiness is elusive ,u have to do ur own experiments i guess,with the usual things,like positive thoughts,spirituality,sex,books,friends this and that,but
all at a steady pace,
Travel can be really a good experiment,u like reading plus travel and fun ,give ur mind some rest
maybe for some time u must do the opposite say questions are nonsense ,i dont care try it for some time.
anyway u can always do the same thing later but my friend its good to relax and simply be unconcerned,not bothered at all.

[HIMALAYANMYSTIC

#45    TheClerk

TheClerk

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:20 PM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 11 March 2013 - 06:09 PM, said:

I read something that said people with higher I.Q.s are more likely  to experiment with different drugs
The thing is, people with high emotional intelligence are not being stimulated enough with everyday " events " , intelligent people tend to push their feelings into themselves because their circle of acquaintances rarely holds a person which can correspond with the bigger picture of their feelings   . Which leads to drug experimenting , and once they feel the certain effects of a drug it tickles their curiosity for trying another one which will open a new world of perception and meaning. Drugs are like catalysts which can bring the most hidden emotions and desires to surface.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users