Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Chilean Telescope to be World's Biggest

e-elt european southern observatory eso telescope

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,158 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:58 PM

UK commits £88m to Chilean telescope 'as big as all existing ones put together'
The European Extremely Large Telescope (E-ELT), costing more than €1bn, will capture the universe's earliest moments

www.guardian.co.uk said:

Britain has committed £88m towards the construction of the world's largest telescope. The huge observatory, to be built in the Chilean Andes, will allow astronomers to capture images of the universe's earliest moments.

The giant eye on the sky, known as the European Extremely Large Telescope (E-ELT), will cost more than €1bn (£900m) to build. Its main mirror, which will gather light from distant stars and galaxies, will be 39 metres in diameter, made of 798 segments. The observatory will gather 15 times more light than the largest telescopes today.

Posted Image Read more...

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 08 March 2013 - 07:02 PM.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 15,371 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:19 PM

Holy Cow! That's going to be utterly humongous, not to mention absolutely amazing.

"It is the breadth of science that this telescope will undertake that makes it so important," said Professor Isobel Hook of Oxford University. "We'll be able to explore further into space and in exquisite detail, helping us understand some of the strangest phenomena in our universe – even the possibilities for existence of life on planets elsewhere in the universe."

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#3    Iron_Lotus

Iron_Lotus

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

• I see shadows on the road again wonder if they coming for my soul. I get trapped up in this mode I'm in and will I every grow old.

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:29 PM

holy crap that is a huuuuge telescope 39 meters!!! wow.

Also tagged with e-elt, european southern observatory, eso, telescope

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users