Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Teachers to wear guns in South Dakota

governor dennis daugaard teachers guns school

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,045 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:13 AM

The US state of South Dakota has passed a law allowing schools to arm teachers and other staff with guns.

In a measure the state said would help stop massacres like the one at Sandy Hook Elementary school in Connecticut in December, so-called "school sentinels" will be tasked with protecting children.

The controversial measure was signed by Governor Dennis Daugaard, a Republican, and will go into effect on July 1.

http://www.telegraph...uth-Dakota.html

Posted Image

#2    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,765 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:22 AM

Why dont we just give the kids guns too. That way they can defend themselves. I mean... what if someone tries to kill them in the hallway? The teacher is not going to arrive in time! ARM THE KIDS!

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#3    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,149 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:27 AM

It's better than putting cops in schools.  No nut case would dare try to massacre children if they knew some of the teachers were armed.

Edited by Hilander, 09 March 2013 - 12:28 AM.

#4    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,114 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:41 AM

I sure hope they Train the teachers as well... just turning them loose with handguns would be rather dangerous...

Not every one can pull the trigger when pointing at another human... Putting holes in paper targets is one thing but shooting a person is another entirely...

Edited by Taun, 09 March 2013 - 12:43 AM.

#5    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 12,870 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:42 AM

View PostStellar, on 09 March 2013 - 12:22 AM, said:

Why dont we just give the kids guns too. That way they can defend themselves. I mean... what if someone tries to kill them in the hallway? The teacher is not going to arrive in time! ARM THE KIDS!
If the teacher in the Sandy Hook classroom had been armed there is a decent chance that those TWENTY first graders would still be alive this day.  Maybe she'd have been shot dead before she even drew a weapon but MAYBE is a hell of a lot better than no chance at all.  For the record, I'm against casually arming anyone who does not want that responsibility and who is not willing to train to handle it.  Using firearms requires good sense and some skill and judgement.  Not all teachers have those attributes just as not all farmers, firemen or US presidents don't.

Imagination is the power in the turn of a phrase.

#6    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,765 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:31 AM

View Postand then, on 09 March 2013 - 12:42 AM, said:

If the teacher in the Sandy Hook classroom had been armed there is a decent chance that those TWENTY first graders would still be alive this day.  Maybe she'd have been shot dead before she even drew a weapon but MAYBE is a hell of a lot better than no chance at all.  For the record, I'm against casually arming anyone who does not want that responsibility and who is not willing to train to handle it.  Using firearms requires good sense and some skill and judgement.  Not all teachers have those attributes just as not all farmers, firemen or US presidents don't.

Ah. So one what-if scenario makes it a good idea. Well. If the first graders were armed, maybe they would have killed the armed guy too.

More guns & less gun control = more gun deaths. You want a real solution to protecting the kids? Put the paranoia aside and start with gun registration. That way at least the flow of guns to the black market is cut down. Following that, place some sensible gun control measures in place so that guns aren't lying around the house loaded, easily accessible to those who shouldn't get them.

----Seraphina

#7    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,446 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:02 AM

I'm not a fan of this at all. First and foremost, the authorities have to start cracking down on people that commit crimes with guns. Unless they start doing this no amount of gun control is going to work. Second, the media has gotten everyone in such a frenzy people are buying guns and taking a very short class on how to use them...especially women. The majority of them are not like me, who has been trained from a very early age to use one. Due to unfortunate circumstances, I've already had to search my soul on whether I could pull the trigger or not. Now. we have a lot more paranoid people, with almost no skill whatsoever, carrying a firearm.

I know several women that have recently taken the class and started carrying. They showed me their cute new purses, that have an easy access pocket for their new pink guns. It disturbs me that they are more focused on their guns fashionable accessories.

#8    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,654 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:11 AM

Under the new law school districts will decide in a public meeting whether to arm teachers. Residents will be able to force a public vote if they disagree with the decision. Teachers will not be forced to carry a weapon against their will and will receive firearms training.

That seems fair to me.  Let the communities decide.

#9    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Is not a number!

• 9,442 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:04 AM

I'm a teacher.
There are classes that try every wit, drain the very last of your emotional resources, that will literally push you until you break.
Now arm that teacher. Arm the teacher who has the class from hell. Arm them on their very worst day.
What happens next is a tragedy no matter how you cut it.

#10    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:35 AM

Sooner or later a teacher, in a moment of distraction or carelessness, is going to do something that enables a kid to play with one of these guns and there is going to be a tragedy.  Such things are known in law as "attractive nuisances."

Or maybe some teacher is going to go off the deep end in a moment of fury at a student.  A gun so handy is asking for disaster.

Lots of such "or maybes" arise when you have guns around like that.

#11    Arbenol68

Arbenol68

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:08 AM

This topic should be cross referenced with this one:

http://www.unexplain...opic=243350&hl=

#12    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 12,870 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

View PostStellar, on 09 March 2013 - 04:31 AM, said:

Ah. So one what-if scenario makes it a good idea. Well. If the first graders were armed, maybe they would have killed the armed guy too.

More guns & less gun control = more gun deaths. You want a real solution to protecting the kids? Put the paranoia aside and start with gun registration. That way at least the flow of guns to the black market is cut down. Following that, place some sensible gun control measures in place so that guns aren't lying around the house loaded, easily accessible to those who shouldn't get them.
Being absurd isn't becoming in you Stellar.  So if I purchase a Glock or an AK 47 and some government twit has that info on a database somewhere, how, exactly, is that going to keep it off the "black market"?  All registration will do is make it possible for the government to impose sanctions on me at some point.  That does zero to stop a weapon being stolen or inadvertently sold to the wrong individual.  Sell the anti gun freedom rhetoric to someone else - not interested in it.

Imagination is the power in the turn of a phrase.

#13    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,765 posts

-Patton

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:58 AM

View Postand then, on 09 March 2013 - 10:29 AM, said:

Being absurd isn't becoming in you Stellar.  So if I purchase a Glock or an AK 47 and some government twit has that info on a database somewhere, how, exactly, is that going to keep it off the "black market"?  All registration will do is make it possible for the government to impose sanctions on me at some point.  That does zero to stop a weapon being stolen or inadvertently sold to the wrong individual.  Sell the anti gun freedom rhetoric to someone else - not interested in it.

Absurd? The whole topic is absurd! The gun registration does much more than that! It ensures that people do not sell their guns to those that should not have them! It keeps people accountable for their actions! If you don't report a stolen gun: you are accountable. If you skip the background checks and sell a gun to a criminal? You are accountable! The ATF themselves say that a huge number of the guns making it to the black market come from the same 1% of dealers that feed it for a quick buck. A registration would stop that quick. Your worry of the government imposing sanctions on you "at some point" is preventing you from taking the necessary steps to reduce gun violence at *this* point.

----Seraphina

#14    iNvRG

iNvRG

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:14 AM

They should also put signs on the entrances that say "This school has armed teachers". What person with intent to kill as many people will try doing a rampage where others have a means to end their spree?

"We as humans believe in a superior being because we as humans can not comprehend the magnitude of our own existence"

#15    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,000 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:44 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 09 March 2013 - 08:04 AM, said:

I'm a teacher.
There are classes that try every wit, drain the very last of your emotional resources, that will literally push you until you break.
Now arm that teacher. Arm the teacher who has the class from hell. Arm them on their very worst day.
What happens next is a tragedy no matter how you cut it.
Bingo, exactly what I was thinking - you would think students have never sent teachers off the deep end according to this idealistic little armed teachers paradise they are hell bent on creating.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users